How Did You Become An Atheist?

by NewChapter 81 Replies latest jw friends

• cofty
    cofty

The question of evil.

The JW version of theodicy is an illogical fudge, the many and varied christian theodicys are not much better.

After the sudden and violent death of a christian friend I was shocked, not by the accident but by the infuriating reactions of other christians. Nobody had the honesty to rage about the injustice pointlessness of the death of a devout christian and father of four teenage children. Everybody had an irrational excuse about why god had done this and talk was of the good that was going to come from it. At services and prayer meetings it felt like there was a conspiracy of willful blindness.

It was seen as a lack of faith and trust not to be content that in some way we could not understand Stewart's death was part of god's wise plan.

Stewart was a farmer. One Saturday morning he went out to clear some drainage ditches. God could have prompted one of his three sons to go with him but he didn't; they were all too busy. Stewart took the loader - a large tractor like machine with a hydraulic arm and a huge bucket on the front. God could have prompted Stewart to fix the parking brake at any time but he didn't. Stewart parked the loader above the ditch with the bucket extended so he could shovel weeds into it. God could have prompted him not to work right under the loader bucket but he didn't. He could have prompted him to look up just before the loader began to roll forward but he didn't. He could have prompted hif wife to ring his mobile to tell him lunch was ready 5 minutes earlier but he didn't.

His wife and son found him in the ditch pinned under the edge of the bucket. His son reversed the loader and his wife, a nurse, tried in vain to revive him. His chest was crushed beyond recovery.

Apparently it was all part of the plan of a loving and wise god.

His wife concluded god had done it so that her fortitude and strength would be a witness to others and cause them to believe.

For 9 years I had prayed to god all the time, often it just felt like an ongoing conversation. I "knew" god was listening and answering. I preached regularly from the pulpit about Jesus' sacrifice and god's love and forgiveness. Sometimes I led worship time, it was never my gift, preaching was. I loved worship time in church though especially when we sang songs about the cross like "How Great Thou Art"...

And when I think that God his son not sparing,
    Sent him to die - I scarce can take it in,
    That on the cross my burden gladly bearing,
    He bled and died to take away my sin:

Then sings my soul, my Saviour God, to Thee,
    How great Thou art, how great Thou art!
    Then sings my soul, my Saviour God, to Thee,
    How great Thou art, how great Thou art!

Often I would have tears in my eyes singing these words that I really believed. Corporate worship is an exhilarating experience.

The day of the funeral was the last time I prayed - that was 8 years ago.

I still went to church all the time but a light had gone on. I began to look objectively at my beliefs. I studied theodicy intensely and found even the most sophisticated arguments to be vacuous.

Then a few months later - Boxing day 2004 to be precise - I was driving to my local football club to play in our annual charity match. On the car radio there was news of a tsunami in the Pacific. Over the next few weeks the death toll rose to a quarter of a million. Free-will arguments would not work this time. Theologians of all stripes pontificated at length in god's defence and none of them had anything to say.

To cut the rest of the story short it took about a year to go from passionate christian to atheist. It began with an emotional response but it was only after a year of research and gathering evidence that I knew for sure that I was finished with faith.

Now I know why bad things happen to good people - the answer is...................

"shit happens"

• troubled mind
    troubled mind

I have slowly ,naturally become an atheist over the past few years . For a long time after leaving the JWs I searched other CHristian religions ,and it was nice for a while . However over time and after much reading and thinking I just saw more of the same problems .

Science makes sense to me religion never has fulfilled my inner questions . Believing in a magical being just seems so childish and immature to me. My whole life I have Never understood the Salvation story given to us as Christians ,seriously makes NO sense to me. I have always believed that when I die I cease to exist ,period . My body will rot and become part of the earth again . I am okay with that . Look around that IS what happens and it has been happening for a very long time . Fossil records show life has come and gone on this Earth for millions of yrs and we are just one of those epic periods .

AMMO said ----

" to be 'fair' one must look at all sides with an open mind, I guess I just find aetheists to be very confrontational and accusing - quick to condemn, did you change once you realised/accepted/reasoned there was no god, or did it make you a more in a way angry because of your conclusion."

I found after leaving religion and belief in a God, I AM more open minded ,and at peace . It was my experience that people of faith have been more angry ,and uptight,especially if you question their beliefs ,even for just discussion sake . I have no desire to PROVE my belief over anyone elses......had enough of that as a JW . I am happy with my revelations ,and finally feel satisfied with the answers I have come to understand .

• ammo
    ammo

Yes NC you sure can fill a page on these threads pretty fast :))

thanks for your reply, it certainly helps me to understand you more and I guess have a little more patience (not that you're asking for it ) I actually thought of you last night (yes very sad I know) but I was watching a show on the bible belt in America,(scary place) and I was amazed at the small train of thought most of the people interviewed would allow themselves, it made me think of you, I thought if a person lived there they would not even be able to express there views as to why they did not believe, it seemed very well 'tight knit' in regards to belief. It also made me think well if I was an atheist I'd be pretty f..... off I could'nt express my beliefs, just the same as any one else.

Theres alot to consider, I am thankful I'm in a place where whatever you believe is pretty much ok, as long as your not a total arsehole, I don't know where you are in the state's but I think the geographics of it all may have something to do with peoples frustration.

In all honesty, I feel extremely out of my depth with all of this, and can feel quite intimidated to even pose a few questions on the board for 'fear' of being labelled a complete 'dumbarse' but hey if don't ask you'll never know, so thanks for taking the time out and explaining a little bit about you.

• rebel8
    rebel8

When I opened my mind and the constant dismissal of facts and invention of "explanations" became more tiring than not.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T69TOuqaqXI

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

LOL Ammo---so you've seen our bible belt. I'm not technically IN the bible belt, but I am surrounded by people like that. Do you know, we STILL have I.D. battles in our schools? A most famous one was launched a few years ago in Pennsylvania, which is right next to me. Not normally considered the bible belt, but gives you a clue as to how this is spreading. I lived for some years right down the street from The Ernest Angley ministries---which would televise their sermons. (Pssst. Ernest Angley has no neck, and my mother often wondered why he didn't heal that!)

So surrounded---really. I remember some local church left a tract with me. It was full of directions for getting through the Great Tribulation. I didn't HAVE to go through the GT you see---but because I REFUSED to be born again, I wasn't gonna be spared by the rapture. And nobody righteous would be left to help me, because they would all be taken to Heaven. But they still loved me---so they were leaving directions. Grace no longer applied. Since I CHOSE to wait, I would have to get into heaven by my deeds. And they gave me a detailed account of the tortures I would endure to try to get me to forsake god---tortures I CHOSE to endure----but I had to endure to get to heaven. Because I chose the hard way.

In another state, right next to me, I went to visit a friend. She took me to an open air market, because according to her, they had the BEST beer battered onion rings in the universe. My mouth was watering. We got there. We were denied. It was Sunday, and the batter contained beer. I can't tell you the RAGE!!!!! I WAS DENIED THE BEST BEER BATTERED ONION RINGS BECAUSE OF SUPERSTITION. AHHHHHH I will tear down every church, burn every bible, opppress every Christian until I get my f**king beer battered onion rings!!!!!! Kidding, of course.

But there is a certain sense of hostility when I have to deal with this crap. I never did get to try those onion rings! They might have helped me find god---you never know!

• thinking_1
    thinking_1

When I was about done believing in the religion I was raised in, I started to think about what else was out there. At first it can be alittle overwhelming with so many ideas. I saw the need to be cautious about being convinced by something that sounds good or reasonable at first. When I looked back at some of the things I used to believe, and the illogical thinking that made me buy it, I decided to focus how to think and sift through information. I studied logic and critical thinking, then applied those to examining the big questions. It wasn't automatic, but after awhile most of the arguments I heard for the existence of any god seemed unconvincing.

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

I have a friend that moved deep into the Bible Belt. I went to see her for the first time in five years or more. To say I was stunned is an understatement. There was not a blank space on her walls that was not filled by a cross, angel, scripture, Jesus pic---everything. I knew she was relgious, I just had no idea. Anyway, it was quite irritating. I was there with my brother and nephew. They woke us early on Sunday morning listening to a sermon of the radio and they were singing the hymns. Yuck. Good Morning.

So anyway, they had dogs. One of the dogs had got hold of a bottle of medicine and ate it. It almost died---the vet barely saved it. But the husband assured us that God had saved the dog. You see, after the dog ate the medicine, the other dog got my friend's attention and made her go look. God had directed the dog to get help.

My nephew ran into my bedroom, closed my door, and sat on the floor giggling. When he could talk he asked me, "Why didn't God just tell the dog not to eat the medicine?" Giggle fest. Was a lot of fun. Sort of. They actually believed it, which was not funny.

NC

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

In 1896, Ingersoll expressed my feelings.

http://www.positiveatheism.org/hist/ingag.htm

• ammo
    ammo

Its not just atheists that would get pissed off at missing out on

'BEER BATTERED ONION RINGS'

hope you're getting your fill these days, maybe you could have them with devilled sausages !

Ummm Back to thread now...

• thinking_1
    thinking_1

Also, I want to clarify what I mean by atheist. I know there are many definitions, but my favorite is:

When someone asks you whether you believe in God:

1) If you say yes; you're a theist.

2) Any other response; you're an atheist.

Now what flavor beyond that, takes a lot of discussion.

I just don't really like labels, because if I were to tell someone I'm an atheist, they think they automatically know my opinion on a whole array of subjects.

But that just isn't true. You could have two atheists who have differing opinions on every subject except: whether they believe a god exists.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit