How Did You Become An Atheist?

by NewChapter 81 Replies latest jw friends

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

Thanks everyone for these very touching posts. I talk to some of you a lot, and even so, didn't know all of your stories. This is so cool.

Enlightened: Welcome to the forum! Lot's of different people with many different worldviews--you never know where you'll end up.

FreeGirl: We've never met, and I'm so glad you posted your story. You have certainly investigated this very thouroughly, and nobody could ever say your conclusions were reactionary. I will be thinking about your mother's story all day. It brought tears to my eyes. I'm so sorry you had to watch her suffer that way.

S&G: I will be absolutely honest. I cannot even begin to understand how you can sometimes be an atheist and sometimes a theist. Great if it works for you, but I have come to some firm conclusions, and part of that is accepting things they way they are not how I wish them to be, so I don't think I could convince myself there is a god even for 30 seconds just for the comfort. But you seem to have that ability, and it is working for you. It reminds me of a story my brother told me. He has been an atheist all his life (since at least 8) and he got into a pickle where he actually feared for his life. He was climbing this tall structure and worried about his ability to hang on. Part of his job---not the bridge job. He laughed and told me he had even prayed! Yeah---like I was gonna let him get away with that (I was a believer at the time). But he calmly looked at me and said, "I was under a great deal of stress. That kind of stress sometimes pushes a person to suspend belief and grasp at straws. I knew when I prayed there was nothing, but I was willing to try anything. Don't take it to mean anything other than what it was---grasping."

Re: Atheist/Agnostic. Richard Dawkins has a way of explaining it, and it is a satisfying explanation to me so I will share it. Because TECHNICALLY I am agnostic---otherwise I would be intellectually dishonest (applying this to me only, not to anyone else.)

Imagine a scale of 1 to 7. 1 is absolute belief with no doubt. I spent most of my life here. 7 is the absolute certainty there is no god. Everything in between is agnostic. Dawkins puts himself at a 6.9. I put myself at 6.8-6.9. I think I went from a 1 to a 6 in just a moment. But I was still willing to think on it. Now I am no longer willing to think on it UNLESS new evidence is uncovered that would honestly require I reevaluate it. Because I feel the most honest answer is we don't know what we don't know, but that can also apply to fairies, unicorns, elves etc. I put gods in that category, which means I think it is HIGHLY unlikely that any new evidence will ever present itself. But I leave that tiny window open because I would hope that I would not be like I used to be: Unwilling to examine evidence in order to maintain my opinion.

NC

• THE GLADIATOR
    THE GLADIATOR

It has been said before, but being automatically labelled an atheist for a lack of belief in a god seems absurd. If people positively believe in Christ, they are Christians; but to not believe in one of the many gods on offer through various church leaders, is a not a position, it is a negative. We can’t all wear a label for everything we do not believe in. I don’t believe in Satan either, but that does not make me an Asatanist.

I live my life and interact with other humans, enjoy the experience of living on the most beautiful planet known to humans. Short as life is, it is awesome to be a part of this evolving planet. I am perhaps, happy to be called a humanist because that infers a positive position towards my own kind.

We should be labelled for what we do believe in and what actions we take. Perhaps I am prepared to accept being labelled a humanist but I know nothing about gods, goddesses, demons or devils and don’t wish to wear a badge that indicates I am against things that do not exist. I have not taken a stand against gods; I simply view the concept as the stuff of fairy tales.

If you have read this far, thank you for letting me share. Now I can enjoy my godless weekend, exploring the pleasures of the flesh.

• soft+gentle
    soft+gentle

I didn't think you would understand NC but posted nontheless in case there were others like me.

thanks for being honest.

• talesin
    talesin

It has been said before, but being automatically labelled an atheist for a lack of belief in a god seems absurd. If people positively believe in Christ, they are Christians; but to not believe in one of the many gods on offer through various church leaders, is a not a position, it is a negative. We can’t all wear a label for everything we do not believe in. I don’t believe in Satan either, but that does not make me an Asatanist.

I live my life and interact with other humans, enjoy the experience of living on the most beautiful planet known to humans. Short as life is, it is awesome to be a part of this evolving planet. I am perhaps, happy to be called a humanist because that infers a positive position towards my own kind.

We should be labelled for what we do believe in and what actions we take. Perhaps I am prepared to accept being labelled a humanist but I know nothing about gods, goddesses, demons or devils and don’t wish to wear a badge that indicates I am against things that do not exist. I have not taken a stand against gods; I simply view the concept as the stuff of fairy tales.

If you have read this far, thank you for letting me share. Now I can enjoy my godless weekend, exploring the pleasures of the flesh.

Well said, GLADIATOR!

:))

• THE GLADIATOR
    THE GLADIATOR

Thanks talesin. Didn't want you to be a thread-killer on my account.

• still thinking
    still thinking
    I remember feeling a sense of loss when I gave up prayer. I was in such a habit of offering thanks, or praying when things were bad, that it was a hard tic to correct. But if I had prayed, it would not have been because I believed in prayer, it would have been more like a superstition---like rubbing a rabbits foot. Just something to do to deal with the stress. But as you said, giving up prayer changed nothing. And so in time, I no longer felt that tic, and no longer felt that loss. It requires that I find the strength within, because the crutch has been removed, and I really like that.

You know...it's funny. I only just realised, whilst reading that post, that I had stopped praying.... Even as my faith was waning I decided I wasn't going to force anything. I would believe or not believe as the evidence led me. I got to the stage, not long ago, that I really didn't believe anymore. But didn't want to let go of prayer, it comforted me somehow. And it was a habbit. I always thanked god for everything, all the time. I don't even know when I stopped praying. Nothing in my life has changed at all. Prayer obviously had no effect.

• THE GLADIATOR
    THE GLADIATOR

still thinking Thanks for sharing that. I too stopped praying long before I left the Watchtower Society. It was not a conscious decision.

I guess that deep down my sub-conscious mind had worked out the state of play and stopped emotionally motivating me to pray.

• still thinking
    still thinking

Maybe the fear has gone Gladiator....

I was thankful...because I had been taught that I should be and I did not want to be ungrateful.

I prayed for god to keep people safe, because I feared something might happen to them.

I prayed for guidance, because I didn't trust my own skills and decision making abilities.

I prayed for strength because I didn't realise I had it all along and thought I might crumble on my own.

What I have realised is that people do come into our lives when we need them to...and not because of prayer...it is partly due to luck, and partly due to our own decisions and observations. A bit like when you are thinking of someone and then you hear from them or see them somewhere. Isn't it possible you have passed them by on numerous occasions and not noticed them, or they have called, but you weren't home. It wasn't an answer to a prayer at all. It was being alert, and being in the right place at the right time.

I'm still not ruling out some sort of connection in the universe...but a god...I highly doubt it.

• donny
    donny

After leaving the grip of the Society in 1992, I did what many do; try and find the "true" God in another sect or religion. I began visiting many different Christian denominations and eventually began attending the church my parents did. Then I began reading the Bible without any commentaries or other filters and concluded that this was not statements coming from a being that could also be responsible for creating the universe.

Then when I would compare how a world would operate that had such a god running the show versus one where just the natural forces had their way, the latter always won. I could not reconcile how a God that so much wants to be worshiped and acknowledged yet seems to do everything to not show his presence.

I slowly moved towards being an agnostic and am pretty much in the atheist camp. However my mind is not closed. If I come across strongly supporting evidence of sucg a being or he actually decides to make a personal appearance, then I can be swayed to reconsider.

• THE GLADIATOR
    THE GLADIATOR

still thinking This is true. Once we have an interest in something specific, our level of awareness increases.

What was always there, but we were unable to see, becomes apparent.

"I'm still not ruling out some sort of connection in the universe...but a god...I highly doubt it."

It is wise to keep an open mind. A closed mind learns nothing new.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit