Science and the supernatural - thoughts and opinions wanted

by freshstart 31 Replies latest jw friends

• Witness My Fury
    Witness My Fury

@ Emery: Welcome, but you will need to look into dream states before hanging that one in the "confirmed" category.

Read Carl Sagans book - The demon haunted world.

• cantleave
    cantleave

Another book worth reading is Professor Richard Wiseman's "Paranormality"

• Witness My Fury
    Witness My Fury

Paranormality link I just found.

it a bit chopped about but readable...

• 00DAD
    00DAD

Ditto re Sagan's Demon Haunted World - it's a great read. It's both humorous and thought provoking.

• Witness 007
    Witness 007

People used to pray to the sun...still doing it today.

• Emery
    Emery

@Witness My Fury, I will definitely take a gander at the book. I like to be objective in all my understandings and presuppositions.

• Witness My Fury
    Witness My Fury

I had a "supernatural" experience myself when a young lad, ...I carried it all my life believing it to be exactly that. But in the last few years of proper research into JW, bible etc I have learnt enough mental skills and knowledge to now know I was mistaken. It was after all just a dream state.

• Twitch
    Twitch
    It was after all just a dream state.

Exactly. Dreams are the subconscious wandering freely outside the perimeter of rational conscious thought. You may find answers to problems you have or meet/talk/interact with "supernatural" entitities that live in your belief system, but really, it's all just in your head. All the answers you need are with you already.

• tec
    tec

The second definition is problematic in that the word "supernatural" is often used to describe things that appear to transcend the laws of nature when in fact they are just examples of phenomena not then/yet understood. Said phenomena are not truly supernatural, but only appear to be by those that do not understand them.

Yes. This is what I understand also.

I don't believe anything is 'supernatural'... including God, Christ, the spiritual. We label things as magic (using supernatural in that sense of the word) because we do not understand the world/universe(s)/planes of existence/etc... as they are. But these are as natural as you and I... just not physical as we are. Not the same 'matter'.

We are barely babes (if we're lucky) when it comes to understanding everything that IS.

Peace,

tammy

• krejames
    krejames

Thanks for posting up this thread - I found it after searching "supernatural" as this is a question that I have been trying to get my head around since my "awakening". I have never had a "supernatural" experience myself. I have been in a few situations with others where they have said they felt creeped out by someone or by the place etc whereas I have been completely oblivious. But I have never been able to discount supposedly demonic experiences from other credible people. Two members of my immediate family have had experiences and they are completely down to earth and, well, I would guess like me - mostly oblivious to these kinds of things. One of the experiences, which happened over a period of weeks, was so terrifying and life threatening that if it wasn't true it would mean the individual concerned was either an outright liar and/or of questionable sanity. The experiences happened years ago, neither of the individuals ever told anyone apart from me (as I was at home at the time and the events apparently happened at home) and neither have ever talked about the events again. They both ordered me not to tell anyone else in case other people thought they were crazy.

My partner who is completely anti-religion said he personally witnessed an event in Brazil (where spiritualism is popular) and now says he can't rule out the possiblility of a spirit world (though he is not the slightest bit interested in it)

Interesting subject - will take a look at the references.

I guess I identify myself as agnostic these days.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit