Science and the supernatural - thoughts and opinions wanted

by freshstart 31 Replies latest jw friends

• Qcmbr
    Qcmbr

Every supernatural story is always so much less magnificent than the reality. Forgive me EE but Thors hammer is good but nowhere near as awesome as vast electrical sparks that are sometimes so large ( in space) as to encompass galactic distances and shatter the surfaces of planets like giant arc welding torches. Ghosts, goblins, dragons and faeries, water walking zombies and so on - boring and infantile. We are discovering nature one unique stone at a time don't ever let the next prophet spoil it with stupid stories that aren't even as good as Harry Potter.

• designs
    designs

I like when Thor makes water spouts in summer CoooL.

• IsaacJ22
    IsaacJ22

I used to believe in pretty much everything people talk about -- or most of it, at least. I don't really think there is such a thing as supernatural any more. It's all natural. But I also think there's a tendency to attribute anything unexplained to the supernatural. "I don't know" means only that. We don't have to assume anything more. In fact, doing so often holds us back from finding the real answer. So it's a bad idea all around IMO. :-)

• 00DAD
  • freshstart
    freshstart

Thanks guys, I appreciate the input. I'm eager to find out the answers to a lot of my questions and I definitely look forward to what science will ultimately reveal. I've found myself lately wondering if there is a God at all. I mean, obviously I used to believe whole-heartedly, but now that I'm outside the city walls (so to speak), the idea of God seems more and more far-fetched to me.

• Mall Cop
    Mall Cop

Hi Freshstart! If you want something along the lines you are asking for I suggest a book entitled GHOST, true encounters with thw world beyond.By Hans Holzer. He has a web site. Chapter one: The Nature of Life and Death. What is Man? Why is Man? How is Man? HE talks about the supernatural. The book is 758 pages long it will keep you busy for some time. Just something I put out there for you. Google it.

Blueblades/MallCop

• rather be in hades
    rather be in hades

i spent years trying to use the force to grab the tv remote, unfortnately it never happened.

a few times i even said, 'you know satan...if yo could help me out with this, i might consider trning to the dark side...'

still nothing. if that didn't work, i dunno what will, because i would have given up anything to be a jedi back in the day and isn't satan supposed to be some sort of roaring liger trying to bite my spiritual head off? i was all lathered p in barbecue sace waiting to be devoured and he never showed up. shows what a pansy satan is, or maybe he was on a diet at the time...

• Emery
    Emery

I know the supernatural is not something you can scientifically prove to yourself or to anyone unless you yourself have had the experience. I am not advocating this in a fashion to prove God's existance or some modern day miracle...it's quite the opposite actually. Ever since I was a kid and all the way up to my young adult life I really doubted hauntings or super natural activity. Anytime someone would relay some kind of story or personal experience I chalked it up to some chemical imbalance or exagerations stemming from ignorance. I always said to myself, "I would actually welcome something crazy to happen to me to validate my faith and solidify my understanding of the bible"....unfortunately I had something coming.

I had a situation happen to me 4 years ago when I woke up in the middle of the night. I felt the awkward presence of someone in my room and to keep a long creepy and traumatic story short I was haunted in a very scary manner. I know reading this or hearing anyone claim such things on some message board takes a leap of faith and I can't blame anyone who still avoids these stories but I encourage people to keep an open mind and know the evidence to these things are isolated and not visible.

• VM44
    VM44

"But I wonder if there really are spirit entities (or something else we don't quite understand) that are also in existence and can sometimes make their presence known."

The Higgs Boson!

• VM44
    VM44

Open-mindedness

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T69TOuqaqXI

A look at some of the flawed thinking that prompts people who believe in certain non-scientific concepts to advise others who don't to be more open-minded.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit