MY FIRST POST

by dazed but not confused 36 Replies latest jw friends

• dazed but not confused
    dazed but not confused

Hello, I have been lurking for about a month. I was born and raised in the “truth” baptized at 13….. didn’t know what I was getting myself into. I never believed I would be on this side. I knew in my heart I had the “truth” Now I am so happy to know TTATT. My wife is completely in and I fear will never listen to reason (I will just take it slow with her). I started my fade about 2 years go and completely left abt 7 months ago. I have been married for 9 years and we have 2 kids, one 3 years and one 6 weeks.

My fade started shortly after going to the elders for help with my alcohol addiction. I was a heavy drinker and regularly got drunk. I wanted help and didn’t want to go to AA or any other program that helped with addiction as I believed what I was told about them being “their own religion” and part of “Babylon the great” I was told to rely on Jehovah and pray, pray, pray.

Instead what I got was publicly reproved, nearly Df’d. I had expected loving help, guidance and much needed support from the elders and MS who knew of my situation. All I got was nothing. No support, no encouragement. Now looking back it was the best thing they could have done for me. I am now 2 years sober. I did it myself with the support of my loving wife.

Now I am starting over not knowing what to believe. I consider myself agnostic and very angry with all religion. I hate how controlling and destructive it is. There is much I will share in the coming posts. I just wanted to introduce myself and say how much I appreciate this site and the help it provides.

• cofty
    cofty

Welcome DBNC.

First well done on 2 years sober. It is so often the case that its when a JW experinces the reality of the uncaring nature of the organisation that they give themself permission to investigate their doubts.

You are right to be patient with your wife's faith.

best wishes from Cofty

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

Welcome!

• jam
    jam

Dazed: I didn,t realize I had A alcohol problem until

I left the borg. Most elders , or the elders I new drank,

heavily I might add. It,s A funny thing, after I left the borg.

I stop drinking. And Welcome.

• ammo
    ammo

Hey there Dazed,

Welcome

Ammo

• binadub
    binadub

Hello Dazed:

Congratulations on two things: Waking up from JWism and two years sober.

I think you would find AA a good organization to associate with, especially as you are exiting a controlling religion. You'll find good neutral fellowship there.

~Binadub

• freeinmichigan
    freeinmichigan

Welcome!!

• dazed but not confused
    dazed but not confused

Thank you all. My doubts were many. Mostly started with the blood issue which progressed to questioning everything.

Binadub- I was considering going to AA. My brother has been sober for nearly 20 years and encouraged me to go. My brother was 16 when he realized how crazy the jws were. Since leaving he and i have had many intellectual conversations on life and religion.

Dazed

• mouthy
    mouthy

Welcome dbnc.... Oh you made my day.... I have a grandson who is a drinker. I was so happy you "DID"itQUIT
    So good to have you join us. I am the Granny on board. Called Mouthy....& I am just that.

I can understand your anger at Religion since we have been in a very bad one( Cult) infact. I dont believe in Religion also. But I do believe in Christ..Spirituality!!!. I was in the JW for over 25 years. I made 10 people JWS.. I would suggust you ask Jesus to guide ,lead ,& direct you. I did !!!! I really feel HE is the ONLY WAY! TRUTH! LIFE!
    My daughter & granddaughter is still there & mustnt talk to me. My suggestion is dont throw the baby out with the bath water....( God) You evidently are a great guy....To be able to quit the booze .I attended AA because I wanted to understand WHY He drinks & if I could help.... I met such GREAT folks there....But I learned I cant do anything to help HE has to want to stop....( His MUm died when he was 14 he is 28 now)been in jail 10 times from booze...It sounds like you have a great wife. I got told off by the brrothers because I DONT drink.
    I had a study,,, & they offered me a drink while we were studying. I explained I was a Tee-totler... Then when I took the Overseer on one of the days we were studying the Housholder told him it bothered them I didnt drink... When we got outside the overseer told me "Grace you should have had that drink with them, Jesus turned water in to wine, who do you think you are to refuse??"

I know that is the ONLY thing JWS CAN do is DRINK>>>>>Go easy on the wifey.... Because they will turn her against you if you dont believe what they teach.... I think you GREAT!!!!! Gives me hope for my grandson.
    http://exjw.weebly.com < Grace Gough known on line as MOUTHY!!!!

• Yan Bibiyan
    Yan Bibiyan

Welcome dude!

Catch your breath and take it easy with the wifey. Definitelly devise a plan and be flexible. There is an extraordinary amount of great advice here. Don't rush things; having her out with you and the kids will be the greatest accomplishment!

Have a virtual brew on me .

-Yan

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit