Was There Anything You Actually Enjoyed About Being A JW?

by MrFreeze 42 Replies latest jw experiences

• QueenWitch
    QueenWitch

YESS, I'd forgot about the cheese danish. What about the vanilla pudding? yummmm!

• Iamallcool
    Iamallcool

blondie, I have never dated ex jw. I might consider to do that in the future.

• drewcoul
    drewcoul

Ahh Yes, the cheese danish.......and the chocolate pudding when it was still frozen! and, being a kid in the 70's and 80's, I loved the burritos.

Do you remember the "muff-n-egg" that they served for breakfast at the CA's. I remember being about 13 and reading on the sign "Muff-n-egg- 4 tickets" I couldn't believe it! Did no one really understand what muff is a term for?

I also liked the basketball gatherings on holidays and on the weekends every few weeks.

Iamallcool: I dated an ex-JW. I didn't know it at the time we first went out. She had actually just gotten reinstated. We started dating, and I remember her telling me that she was studying the bible. I said "With who?" She said, "well, I wanted to talk to you about this, first off, its a Christian religion." I said, "It's Jehovah's Witnesses, isn't it" She said yes, and I began to tell her about my past. She later got disfellowshipped again, and wanted to go out with me again. She was completely nuts! She would show up at my house unannounced and want to hang out. She would put things in my car for me, even when it was parked at the grocery store parking lot while I was shopping. I only recommend dating an ex JW if she is mentally out. If they're not mentally out, you know they've gotta have issues.

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

The dips. JW's love their food, and their potluck style get togethers always brought interesting dips. I have a lot of dip recipes. Two of my favorites are a black bean dip, and a dip with cream chees, horseradish, and some kind of sweet fruit jelly topping. The mix is unusual, but yummy!

I miss the dips.

NC

• mercedes_29
    mercedes_29

I liked having an excuse to buy expensive suits and shoes. I also thought I had one really good friend who was like a real sister to me. Apart from that I don't miss anything.

• dreamgolfer
    dreamgolfer

NC - you FLOOR ME~! "DIPS" ROFLMA...thats hoot! _ I love 7 layer dip

Food Glorious Food, Yeah the Bring a Dish Weddings, I loved those, and all the FRIED CHICKEN - I dont eat it much now as I am trying to work myself back to the other side of 39. yes the Tables of cookies and desserts, I do miss that, just not that I can't believe I ate the whole thing feeling.,

Suits and Clothes, I am a Thrift Store Shopper so I cant remember buying anything new other than Shoes and Underwear (I refuse to buy those items are "preworn" ) LOL

But dressing up was nice, I work at a job though that does promote wearing your "Sunday business best" so I can't say I have gone away from looking like a Dapper Dandy.

The Vacations for aseemblies that was funny, I can relate as a little kid,

Also watching my children run around the DC convention and using them as an excuse not to listen up ...er fall asleep in my seats.,

• Soldier77
    Soldier77

Well, this is more of a two part question.

1) What did I enjoy about being a JW religiously?

and

2) What did I enjoy socially being a JW?

1) Hated it. Horrible way to raise a child.

2) The instant group of people to hang out with. Like someone said, easy social capital. But once they made the statement that JW's are not a groupd used for "socializing" or something to the effect, and when they got rid of bookstudies at the homes removing "goodie night" - it all went to shit socially.

In fact, I have better friends that are so called "worldy" than any JW friend I had. When the first thing they will talk about is your status in the organization after not seeing you for a while, you know something is terribly wrong with them.

• Jse
    Jse

• Quendi
    Quendi

The two closest friends I ever had and other people whom I also loved deeply are what I really enjoyed. And I was one of those people who actually liked the convention meals because while the food wasn't extraordinary, the table talk and visiting with other people before and between convention sessions were very stimulating. I also learned some good life skills while I was in the organization.

Quendi

• undercover
    undercover

Anything that I actually enjoyed could have been enjoyed in similar, but less controlling upbringing.

Congregation picnics = neighborhood potlucks

Sleepovers as a kid with other JW kids = sleepovers with relatives or neighbors

Road trip as a youth with congregation friends = road trip with school mates

There were good times, good friends - especially as a younger kid. Once adulthood was acheived the fun was over and the good times were fewer and far between the drudgery of meetings, service and conventions. As a teenager and young adult, conventions were actually fun. But after marriage, having a job, a convention assignment, it wasn't fun. It was work.

Even people raised in terrible conditions can relate the good times and fun they had despite their trials and tribulations. Not that they would want to go back to those conditions, but they learned how to enjoy what they could with what they had. But they, for the most part, knew they were in predicament and hoped, worked for better times. JWs think they're in a better place, never realizing they're actually slaves to a publishing company. It's not till they escape, if they ever do, before they realize that while there were good times, it could have been much better. That's where regret comes in sometimes.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit