Hospitality after Public Talk - ???

by RubaDub 47 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

I see a lot of mentions about Hospitality after the Public Talk and honestly, I guess it is a practice that was not in the NY/CT area I grew up in or here in South Florida today.

I grew up with an Elder Father and Grandfather who gave Public Talks and were generally well-liked. As a child, I never recall being invited to someone's house after the meeting. Granted, it was rare to travel more than an hour but regardless, it was typical to get in the car and head home after the "amens." In fact, it was not unusual for just the brother giving the talk to come and not bring the family. I recall many times I just accompanied my father and my mother went to our own KH. Often a brother would arrive alone, give the talk, and be on his way when they were playing the song at halftime.

Here in South Florida, with so many people, I guess the same applies here. With alot of duplex and triplex KH's here, I guess there is no need for much Hospitality when the "traveling" brother just steps across the hallway from KH/Salon "A" to KH/Salon "B" or "C".

The only exception of course is when there is a brother from Bethel or Patterson.

But other than that, is it just a rural custom or are we less friendly here in the East as opposed to those in the Mid-West or West ???

Rub a Dub

• finally awake
    finally awake

In my former hall, there was a list on the board for people to sign up for hospitality. Every speaker, even if he was a local brother, was taken out to lunch or invited to lunch at someone's home. I had always assumed this was standard practice worldwide. It was a little disconcerting when the speaker showed up and he had 5 kids and his wife and mother in law in tow.

• Quandry
    Quandry

I think it is according to the congregation. In Texas-Houston, it seems to be the thing to do. Not if the speaker was really close by, but if he had to travel any distance from his home congo. I lived in central Florida and recall some K.Halls having hospitality, some not.

I had groups for hospitality in my home many times (in Houston). I always enjoyed people. Now, of course, none of them would speak to me!

• RubaDub
    RubaDub
    In my former hall, there was a list on the board for people to sign up for hospitality.

finally awake ...

What part of the country is your former hall ?

Rub a Dub

• man711
    man711

It doesn't happen in WA either. Can't tell you haow many congregations in the Seattle area that no talked to me.

• coffee_black
    coffee_black

Growing up, my family had Sunday dinner every week. We alternated between my Grandparent's house (grandma was of the annointed) and our house...(Dad was an elder) Both Mom and Grandma were excellent cooks... and if there was a speaker from out of town he would invariably be invited. If the speaker was local, then someone from the cong. was invited. There were always guests at Sunday dinner.

I don't think there was a congregational policy.... In our case I just think my family liked to have company.

Coffee

• nancy drew
    nancy drew

In our congregation each bookstudy was assigned to feed the speaker and his family no matter who it was the problem was that sometimes the bookstudy would not contribute. The burden was on the elder of the bookstudy and sometimes the speaker arrives with four kids expecting a meal and the options were if you couldn't feed them at your house you had to take them out to a restaurant. We had to ask members of our bookstudy to cough up some money and i hated doing it but we didn't have the cash to feed six people and ourselves sometimes. I often said the whole thing should be abolished but my complaints were attributed to a wife who doesn't know her place.

The whole idea was not bad it just was difficult because everyone would try to skip out on it and the hall cleaning as well which was also by bookstudy.

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

At least when I was growing up, my father was more interested at being in front of the TV at 1pm on Sunday with a Carling Black Label in his hand and watching the Yankees than taking someone out for lunch or being invited for lunch .... lol.

Rub a Dub

• cantleave
    cantleave

I did lots of away talks, I was rarely invited back. But then again I often left before the Watch Tower study!

• outsmartthesystem
    outsmartthesystem

Hospitality is definitely a custom here in the midwest. In fact.....every KH I ever went to assigned weekly hospitality on a rotating basis by "bookstudy group". In other words, this week is the Elm street bookstudy's turn. The Elm Street book study conductor would then ask who among his group would like to host the speaker on Sunday. Brother Brown Nose raises his hand.

The vast majority of the time.....though......Brother Brown Nose takes the speaker out to Chili's or some place like that

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit