Emailing my sister RE: Child abuse conviction - NEED HELP!!

by What Now? 42 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• What Now?
    What Now?

So the other night, my family was together and my dad brought up the recent child abuse conviction for the society. Big surprise, my sister hadn't heard anything about it, so of course she got right on to the JW.org website and emailed me the link to the watchtowers official statement. This is my reply:

They can say what they want, the policy needs to be changed. The policy is designed to protect the organization, not children.

It's flawed for two reasons - 1, they have a "two witness" rule. So if a child accuses someone of abuse, unless the accused admits to it, or there was another witness to the crime, the elders are instructed to "leave the matter in Jehovah's hands" (do nothing).
    2 - If someone IS found guilty of child abuse and are reproved or disfellowshipped, the congregation will never know the reason why. Parents are not warned so they will know to protect their children. This person could be reinstated and in good standing (like Jonathan Kendrick, the child molester in this case).

Ask any elder, they will confirm this. I have.
    If there was a child molester in my congregation, I would want to know about it so that I could protect my son. Know too that this is just the first timethat someone has has actually WON a case like this against the society. No one knows about the millions of dollars in settlements made out of court (all paid for by voluntary donations to the worldwide work!) This is all documented.

In this particular case, while serving as an MS, this person confessed to touching his stepdaughters breasts while she was sleeping. He was removed as an MS, but was not judicially reproved. He then went on to molest two other girls, one of whom was Candace Conti, the girl who sued. She was 9 years old and the abuse went on for 2 years. Some of the abuse happened when they were in the ministry together.
    Anyways, Jonathan Kendrick bears the most guilt and should be held accountable. But we can't pretend that the organizations policies didn't play a role in what happened. They point fingers all the time at the Catholic Church and its priest sex scandals and cover ups, but the exact same thing has been going on in the organization. And for the record, there IS a child molester in **** *****. He currently is in good standing. It doesn't matter that he will never be an MS or elder. But would you want to send your daughter door to door with him, or over to their house? Something to think about...

This is her reply (mind you, these are NOT my sisters words. I think she emailed an elder about it and did a copy and paste):

Hey, so I'm not sure where you got your information from, but if you do some research in the watchtower library, or even ask a mature elder in your congregation, I don't think what you said is actually correct! I did some research and this is what i found:

There is no "two witness rule" and there hasn't been for many years. There doesn't even have to be an actual accusation of child abuse by the child! As soon as anyone suspects there is an inappropriate problem, it is to be reported immediately to the police and to the branch office. After that takes place, the local congregation elders are not involved in the investigation at all. That makes sense since elders aren't trained to investigate crimes. The branch and the local police have qualified people to carry out this task. Failure to follow this procedure can result in discipline (both in the congregation and legally) of the elder who received the allegation because of his mishandling of the situation. Failure to report is also a crime under Section 4(1) of the Child, Youth and Family Enhancements Act.

The responsibility of the congregation elders is to protect the congregation. That means that until the situation is resolved (either the person is innocent or the person is found guilty, disfellowshipped and is convicted by police) the elders do their best to keep children away from the person and the person is instructed not to be in contact young ones.

Unlike the Catholic, this process is designed to protect the children. In fact, the congregation elders and the branch may even provide assistance in convicting the person who is guilty.

In the case of **** *****, the person who was convicted of molesting a child was removed from the congregation LONG before he was found guilty in court. As well, members of the the congregation elder body assisted in ensuring that justice was carried out in that particular case.

Yes, the person can be reinstated and in good standing, but he will never be in a position where he has any reason for being alone with a child. w97 1/1 p.28. This is not only for the protection of the congregation, but for the protection of the children and discerning parents. Just as you wouldn't expect your child's school to hire a known pedophile so too the congregation will not appoint former child molesters. The fact that this is public knowledge should provide parents with a sufficient basis to protect their children. If a person in the congregation, even one in good standing and who is exemplary has not been appointed or is unable to regular pioneer, what would that say about their past and general spirituality? Why would you leave your child alone with someone like that?

Legally, the elders are unable to do anything further to "warn" the congregation. This is both to protect the child as well as the accused. All information is protected both by section 48 the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act, as well as section 126 of the Child, Youth and Family Enhancements Act. Following a successful conviction, elders can choose to warn parents with children they feel are at risk. However, a prudent parent can find the information in their municipality's public records of conviction

The fact is, the congregation does as much as they can to protect Jehovah's name, as well as the children within the Christian congregation.

Hope this helps! Just be careful what you read ;)

I need your help guys!! I want to make a well worded and completely factual response, without too much sarcasm.

• diana netherton
    diana netherton

If she's anything like my sister, who decided to "return" a few years ago, I would

rather bang my head against a wall than get into any sort of debate over anything

Jo-ho related. You simply cannot get to people who are so brainwashed. The change

has to come from them hopefully waking up to the reality of what they are in. I find

that it just causes more angst all around.

Just my few cents..

• not bitter
    not bitter

If you refer your sister to JW-media.org she can read for herself what their official policy is and its not what she says it is in her reply to you.

Here is the link http://www.jw-media.org/aboutjw/article23.htm

I don't know where she got her information from but its in complete contradiction to officail JW policy

• DT
    DT

I would ask her where she got her information. It sounds like an elder may have misinformed her about the actual policies. It would then be a simple matter to direct her to the policy on jw-media.org and point out the numerous errors she made. Later, you could think about mentioning some of the elder's letters that contain unsavory details that the rank and file aren't allowed to know about.

• sir82
    sir82

Which country do you live in?

As soon as anyone suspects there is an inappropriate problem, it is to be reported immediately to the police and to the branch office.

That is NOT the policy in the USA.

In the USA, the policy upon an elder hearing an accusation of child abuse is:

1) Call Bethel's legal desk before doing abbsolutely anything else

2) The anonymous person at the legal desk will ask what state the elder live in. If that state requires "clergy" to report allegations of child abuse, the elder will be advised to go to a public phone booth, make an anonymous call to the police, and supply as little information as possible to meet legal requirements.

3) If the elder lives in a state where reporting is not mandatory, he will be told he does not have to report it.

The end.

• What Now?
    What Now?

Here are the next emails that followed:

Thanks *******.

I don't know what elder's email you copy and pasted that reply from, but here is the official JW policy regarding child abuse, copied directly from their official statement on their website:

When any one of Jehovah’s Witnesses is accused of an act of child abuse, the local congregation elders are expected to investigate. Two elders meet separately with the accused and the accuser to see what each says on the matter. If the accused denies the charge, the two elders may arrange for him and the victim to restate their position in each other’s presence, with elders also there.
    If during that meeting the accused still denies the charges and there are no others who can substantiate them, the elders cannot take action within the congregation at that time. Why not? As a Bible-based organization, we must adhere to what the Scriptures say, namely, “No single witness should rise up against a man respecting any error or any sin . . . At the mouth of two witnesses or at the mouth of three witnesses the matter should stand good.” ( Deuteronomy 19:15 ) Jesus reaffirmed this principle as recorded at Matthew 18:15-17 .

In this particular case, the organization was found
    criminally responsible by the court. In fact, the jury awarded the plaintiff 28 million and one dollar - the one dollar being symbolic of their belief that she should have been awarded MORE from the organization, because they found the organizations policy so disturbing.

Anyways ... I guess we will see how this continues to unfold.
    Thanks for your research though.

Then this is what my other sister had to say:

Okay, if the girl feels better after "receiving" 40 million dollars and suing The Organization that represents the almighty God, then that's her business. But the Organization is not responsible for what happened to her. Even worldly people are saying that. And the elders are following ceasar's law - not Jehovah's by not disclosing the alleged accused name to the congregation. Be careful of your attitude *******... Jehovah is in full control of what goes on in his organization and if there was some error on the part of the brothers he will deal with it in his own time. Remember where your loyalty lies - with Satan and his world with it's main goal to smear Jehovah's name and his organization or with Jehovah - the one who gave you your child and the only hope for a solution to the worlds problems. We can pray for that family, only the new system will take away the pain she's suffered (rev21:4) no amount of money will do that for her. You're right @diana netherton, there is no reasoning. I shouldn't have bothered. I FEEL like replying: So this was what Jehovah did: He allowed for the matter to not be dealt with correctly in the first place, which in turn allowed this person to abuse 2 other girls. Then, years later he allowed this girl to bring the court, and arranged for the society to LOSE?

• What Now?
    What Now?

@sir82 - we live in Canada.

• MidwichCuckoo
    MidwichCuckoo

Don't you just feel like banging your head against a wall? (actually that would be less painful, lol). JWs are constantly on the defence regarding the Org.

• DT
    DT

I think you did a great job with this correspondance. You showed that some of her claims about the policies were lies. Either she lied intentionally or someone lied to her and she just passed on the information.

It shouldn't be surprizing that she reacted emotionally by diverting attention from the facts. She appears to be shaken by what you said. Her first instinct might be to defend the Society, but later she might think sriously about those policies.

• Witness 007
    Witness 007

Religous people always defend there beliefs no matter what...l

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit