My thoughts on the pedophile mess

by Indian Larry 16 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Indian Larry
    Indian Larry

I am a former MS and I in the middle of a a several year fade and am still working on my wife. She is totally snowed by the organizaiton. I will say up front that I do still belive the bible, I know many on this board no longer do, however I do. Anyway, I have no interest in debating that subject, just so you know where I am.

I have tried everything I can think of with my wife and nothing seems to get through. I tried the NGO stuff, 607, false prophecy, changing teachings, bad elders, pretty much everything I could try. I almost lost her over it and backed off because she is a wonderful person with a really good heart, and despite the org I still love her and I would be miserable without her.

All that being said, I thing this Candice Conti stuff may actually have gotten through to her a little. It is like one small movement in the right direction but still, at least it is in the right direction. I read the book "When Prophecy Fails" about the UFO cult. It is the book that defines cognitive dissonance. In that book the author found that it takes 3 major things before you can break through. Hopefully this was at least one. All I can say is I hope they continue to shoot themselves in the foot. The way they responded on the website saying the abuse was "alledged" and "may have happened" was good . . . for me. Keep it up Brother JR. Brown! You da man!

Anyway, Miss Conti, if by any chance you are reading this I would first of all like to wish you the best, and I would like to thank you for standing up to the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society about the subject of pedophilia and child abuse. You had an opportunity to take a settlement but you did the right thing by holding out. Even though my family has fortunately not had to deal with pedophiles you are helping us as well. It is your brave stance that has brought this to the mainstream media. Thank you for that.

Note: I spelled out Watchtower Bible and Tract Society and pedophilia as well as Candice Contie's name to help with SEO

• Balaamsass
  • Quendi
    Quendi

I want to voice my support for you in this long struggle to free your wife from this cult, Indian Larry. I am also a Bible believer and can understand that your faith is very important to you. It is indeed a marvel that we both have kept it intact after the corrosive effects of being immersed in the WTS. I was never a servant but did pioneer for two years so I can appreciate the service you did render in behalf of others.

With respect to your wife, you'll have to go slow. There are none so blind as those who will not see and until your wife is ready to face up to "The Truth About The Truth" there is nothing you can do to coerce her. I have slowly and reluctantly come to the conclusion that as bad as the WTS cult is, those who follow its tenets have made that decision deliberately and of their own free will. It can be very painful to see someone we love so besotted, but if we accept that fact it will make our own lives easier.

The WTS often counsels its followers that unbelieving mates can be won over by the conduct of their believing spouses. There is a lot of truth in that sentiment. From your perspective that is now the drama that is being played out. You are trying to win over your wife and logic has failed to move her. The Candice Conti trial has made her consider the idea that something is wrong in the organization. Now that this seed has been planted, you don't need to argue any more. Instead, water it with your love and attention that you have always shown. Let your conduct witness to her and let her realize that a person doesn't have to be a Witness to grow, cultivate, and display the fruitage of the holy spirit.

In time the combination of your continued love and devotion with further damning revelations about the WTS may finally persuade your wife to abandon the cult. But whether she makes the break for freedom or not, continue to honor your marriage vows to love and cherish her. I hope she will always appreciate that and at last use it to claim her freedom. I'll keep you in mind and wish you all the best.

Quendi

• Indian Larry
    Indian Larry

Quendi, thank you for your kind thoughts. They are appreciated.

• Dagney
    Dagney

I've been using "righteous indignation" over the pedo and shunning issue. I don't discuss it but make it clear it goes against my conscience, over and over again. This current case has tons of nuggets by the defense in the transcripts. It will be a valuable source I'm sure for all of us in making sure our loved ones know exactly who and what the WBTS is.

Best to you in your journey with your wife.

• blindnomore
    blindnomore

Indian Larry, I did notice your effort to help with SEO. It's all team work, isn't it?

I am fully with you on your lovely comment to Candance Conti.

The theory of taking 3 major things before one can break through is interesting. I have tried everything with my husband as you have. I even had him read COC. The first major breaking point for him was the case on Menlo Park Kingdom Hall. Miss Candace Conti's case is the 2nd one. One more to go!(He was shaken pretty big on Watchtower's scheme of robbing Jehovah's witnesses elderly assets but wasn't big enough) Boy, I am not sure which one is harder, helping one convert to Jehovah's Witness or your family unconvert from JW?

Sexual abuse, children, elderly, personal injustice are some of the things hit more emotionally for women. You might want to focus on these area more with your wife. Good luck in helping your wife!

• Indian Larry
    Indian Larry

I think you are a lot closer with your husband than I am with my wife. I tried my best to get her to listen to part of In Search of Christian Freedom as an audio book. She will not do it. She said if I want to tell her what it says she will listen but she will NOT listen to "In Search" or "Crisis of Conscience". I did prep her WT for her a couple of weeks ago (she uses an iPad for the WT) I posted parts of "In Search" as notes under the part about disfellowshipping. She did read it but said that "it did not build her up" and it is one sided and you don't know the rest of the story. Anyway we were in the car yesterday for a while and since she said she would listen to the info if I did not read it, I shared it that way.

She was visibly sick by the time we got home. She was 3 hours late for word today with a splitting headache. Cognitvie dissonance is no joke that is for sure.

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers

You may be able to get to her through the personal experiences of those of us who have been molested as children and abused as wives within the organization. Why don't you relate some of those that are registered at silentlambs.org and watchtowerdocuments.com?

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

I wish you all the best with your wife. I know it took me many years and a number of different ah ha moments before I could finally take the WTS any longer.

I read the book "When Prophecy Fails" about the UFO cult. It is the book that defines cognitive dissonance. In that book the author found that it takes 3 major things before you can break through.

If you still have the book, can you please let me know the page that information is on, and even maybe quote a few sentences?

• james_woods
    james_woods

Just for what it is worth, Indian Larry - my great friend Marion Dunlap was never able to get through to his wife Edith about this cult. She was loyal to this mess until the end. Their last few months together, he simply read old Testament Bible to her as she declined. He survived her by about 2 or 3 years.

They were buried (as the ashes were scattered) in the back yard of their little house in Oklahoma City.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit