Stabbing at my old kingdom hall yesterday

by irondork 20 Replies latest jw friends

• irondork
    irondork

http://www.greenvilleonline.com/article/20120622/NEWS/306220009/Woman-stabbed-outside-Bible-study?odyssey=nav%7Chead

A man stabbed his wife outside her church Thursday afternoon at Kingdom Hall on Old Spartanburg Road, authorities said.

Leonard Edwards Jr., 46, was being held Thursday night in the Greenville County Detention Center on charges of attempted murder and possession of a knife during commission of a violent crime, according to Master Deputy Laura Campbell of the Sheriff’s Office and jail records.

The woman suffered non-life-threatening injuries and was taken to a hospital, Campbell said. She said the woman was stabbed once in the back.

About 30 to 40 church members were present for the Bible study, Campbell said.

A man asked the woman to come out of the church, and she did, Campbell said.

She then ran back into the church followed by a man armed with a knife, Campbell said.

The man had knocked her to the ground and stabbed her, she said.

When deputies arrived, congregation members were holding a man in the sanctuary, Campbell said.

• irondork
    irondork

When I got to work this morning, a couple of coworkers were asking me if I knew the person who got stabbed, knowing I used to go to that hall. I guess they heard about it on the morning news and one guy said it was in the local paper this morning. (above) I didn't know anything about it.

So I called my roommate who in turn called her girlfriend who is still active at that hall and it turns out no one locally really knows the sister who got stabbed. That hall has always hosted the pioneer school and the sister who got stabbed was attending the school.

The newspaper article said that congregation members were holding a man in the sanctuary. I'm guessing it was the library or the second school room. Those rooms would make for a nice holding cell (no windows) till the police arrived.

No word on how the woman is doing. The man who stabbed her was her husband.

• ScenicViewer
    ScenicViewer

Very glad to hear the woman was not seriously injured. Must have been terrifying for her.

Any idea what set the husband off?

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep
    About 30 to 40 church members were present for the Bible study

Is that normal for this KH? It sounds like Greenville is a village.

• Iamallcool
    Iamallcool

I think this meeting is especially for people who cannot drive at night. My Dad conducted the book study some years ago for seniors during the daytime.

• freetosee
    freetosee

I feel sorry for the woman! I guess, her husband is not a jehovahs witness.

I wonder, what it was like when they overpowered the guy and dragged him into the second school room and held him there.

fts

• irondork
    irondork

Freetosee: I guess, her husband is not a jehovahs witness.

I heard he was "unbelieving."

ScenicViewer: Any idea what set the husband off?

I have not heard.

Black Sheep: Is that normal for this KH? It sounds like Greenville is a village.

No...30 - 40 people sounds like a daytime bookstudy like Iamallcool suggested or it could have been the pioneer school attendees. From what I heard from my roommate / via her friend on the inside, I got the impression the pioneer school was in session. I could be mistaken.

I'm sure I'll know more when my roommate gets home this evening. She had lunch with her girlfriend from the hall. I'll get the lowdown then.

• freetosee
    freetosee

Hey, what did your friend find out, irondork?

just curious

• KW13
    KW13

the woman was stabbed once in the back....yup sounds like a kingdom hall.

• irondork
    irondork

Freetosee, nothing new to report other than to confirm the woman was at the hall attending pioneer school.

The man came in the hall and called his wife outside. He must have said or done something to frighten her and she came running back in the hall with him following. He stabbed her in the back with a small knife and a few of the "brothers" tackled him and held him down until the police arrived. I got no report on what the nature of the arguement was about but chances are it was a case of Christian persecution... cuz JW's get that.

Not trying to make light of domestic abuse, but you KNOW they will spin it as persecution rather than some abusive nut job simply doing what abusive nut jobs do.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit