Anyone Besides Me Have Difficulty Saying The Word "Jehovah"?

by Low-Key Lysmith 34 Replies latest jw friends

• I quit!
    I quit!

Jah hudga ajah... Jah hudg ajah...... No, not at all.

• renderme
    renderme

yes..cringe worthy.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I have the problem that I do NOT wish to inadvertently glorify or sanctify that most vile, disgraceful name of all. I already have a tangled up mess of filthy angels blocking fulfillment from my soul, and wish not to invoke their master into sending me some more by glorifying his vile and foul butt-holy spirit. But, I don't have any problem with "Baghead" or "Almighty Lowlife Scumbag".

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

It depends on who I am talking too but, as a rule I would not use the name, it is too difficult to know what the name brings to mind for the person I am speaking with, I tend to say "God of the Watchtower" if I am referring to the JW view of God, for that god is very different from most peoples view of God as kind ,loving, Just and Merciful.

If I am talking of the god of the O.T I usually say "Yahweh".

I have no problem with enunciating the word "Jehovah" , I can let it roll off my tongue as easily as any other fictional character's name, Harry Potter say.

I pronounce it in a straightforward English way, not the American "Jehoober", but I am careful to only use it when I know it will be understood as I mean it to be.

• smiddy
    smiddy

I have no problem saying the word jehovah why would you, no jew ever knew that name,no 1st century christian ever knew that name it was an invention of a catholic monk ? scholar ? in the 13th century. When witnesses come to your door remind them of that.They will quote Isa.43:10-12 that they are jehovahs witnesses , ask them that was hundreds of years before Jesus Christ was born ,were the jews ever identified as jehovahs witnesses during that time ? NO, When Jesus Christ came on the scene , what were followers of jesus christ referred to, jehovahs witnesses ? NO, they were, by divine providence identified as Christians,not jehovahs witnesses. ( by divine providence means spirit directed,the holy spirit,God himself )

You know how they hate the catholic religion.

smiddy

• Aussie Oz
    Aussie Oz

yup...

cant use it without feeling weird

oz

• JWB
    JWB

Well, apparently Jesus had trouble saying it in his day-to-day conversations and prayers. Only the NWT has him saying the word "Jehovah" when he quotes from the Scriptures, but that is just an assumption of theirs. Anyway, he wouldn't have used J or V (rather I/Y and U/W). However, what is not disputed in the gospels is that his preferred way of addressing God was 'heavenly father'. So, if there is any 'correct' way to address God, from a Christian perspective, it would have to be 'heavenly father' in immitatiion of Jesus.

• MidwichCuckoo
    MidwichCuckoo

Yes, I always found it uncomfortable (even as a JW) as it seemed just wrong, disrespectful. Frankly I'd cringe at the almost continual use of the 'name' by JWs, slipping it in, totally unnecessarily... JW Tourettes, lol.

• bigmac
    bigmac

its quite easy to say the word--jehovah===

next time you sneeze--try it--

je HO va

its like

aa TISH ooo

• diana netherton
    diana netherton

Wow..I thought I was the only one...I cringe. When I was talking to my mother a few

years ago about the whole religion thing, I kept saying JWs. She told me that she thought

it was disrespectful, but I can't even say it without stuttering over it!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit