This made me awfully sad

by corpusdei 42 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• AGuest
    AGuest
    Natural love and affection for family members killed in favour of fanaticism. Sign of a false religion.

I don't mean to menialize what has occurred with this dear person, or the resultant hurt (may you all have peace!), but I have wonder, how "natural" is a mother's love if a religion can cancel it out? I mean, I was "all in"... except to the point I would have to stop loving one of my children (heck, I don't even think I would have put them before ex-hubby). THAT... isn't "natural" to me. So I am wondering:

How many of these parents, who put their love of cult/religion before their love of the child (save a Jeffrey Daumer/Adolf Hitler kind of child - although, I think I heard that it was "motherly" love... too much of it that was the problem with Hitler) actually really love that child/those children? I mean... really... love them.

Sometimes, I think the "rules" of the WTBTS only serve to get people out of things they want out of anyway. For example, buying gifts for other people on various "special" days (I know I was SO glad not to celebrate stuff, 'cause I never knew what to buy folks as a gift... and usually spent WAY too much - lead crystal vases, when such ones gave me socks!). Or celebrating days that didn't hold especially good memories for one. Or being able to write off that friend/family member one really didn't want to have to deal with anway. Stuff like that.

I mean, "natural" love is inherent, isn't it? It's part of you, part of who and what you are. Can a cult really severe "natural" love?

To those who've experienced this, rejection by one who professes to love you... I would say that the loss is THEIRS. THEY have lost YOUR good, honest, true... and natural love. For which they will wither and die. You... lost nothing... but someone who was pretending all along. Stay as YOU are, then... with YOUR love being natural... and thus, unshakable, no matter WHAT happens.

Peace, truly, to all who've experienced this - there is NO excuse, IMHO. Just people showing their true "nature."

A slave of Christ,

SA

• Lore
    Lore
    I used to think when you were little that I would die for you

But now that she has the option, she's choosing to live forever without him instead.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

To those who've experienced this, rejection by one who professes to love you... I would say that the loss is THEIRS. THEY have lost YOUR good, honest, true... and natural love. For which they will wither and die. You... lost nothing... but someone who was pretending all along. Stay as YOU are, then... with YOUR love being natural... and thus, unshakable, no matter WHAT happens.

Do you even understand what dangerous mind control cults can do with a person?

That's really cruel and uncalled for, AGuest. You are questioning the love of any JW's toward a dear family member when they uphold shunning laws.

We have so many here who know better in their own circumstances. BUT NO. Those grandmothers or sons or brothers never really wanted to stay close to their grandchildren or parents or sibling. Despite their wonderful relationships before the disfellowshipping, you bring out the idea that shunning rules just allows them an excuse to ignore this person because they didn't have love for them.

My wife never wanted to shun her sister. She was captured by the cult orders and her training and it tore her up, but she continued to shun. The letter referred to sounds about the same. These people think they are serving God by doing the terrible things that they do.

It's one thing to state an opinion, but to state so strongly that to those that have experienced this, they only lost someone who was pretending- that is over the top and wrong in many cases.

I will be remaining disgusted at you until you withdraw your comments. But don't worry. Pointing it out is enough to show you for what you are. I don't need to bother with your back-and-forth justification. Go ask your lord if your own thoughts here were proper in such sweeping generalization.

• AGuest
    AGuest

I will apologize if that hit a nerve with you, Jer, but only for that, sorry. "Christians" are supposed to love even their enemies. These folks "have a form of godly devotion but prove false to its power." Because God... IS love. And so one cannot be saying they "love" God... whom they have not seen... if they're "hating" their brother, whom they HAVE seen.

I could go on... and on... and quote and quote. From THEIR own "god," the Bible (well, actually, it's the lesser god, the WT, but their supposed supreme god is the Bible). And you know I could. But, now, if you need to have your ears "tickled" regarding matters, there are plenty of folks in the world who'll do that for you. But isn't that they're problem? Ear tickling?

Love... if it is true... NEVER fails. So, if it fails... regardless of why... it isn't love.

You might share that with you dear wife.

A slave of Christ,

SA, who fully understands that it's all of that mealy-mouthed talk about "love" that gets most people caught up with that Harlot in the first place... while the reality is that it's one of the move love-less places... on earth...

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

Can you never give it a break, Shelby?

I want to go read the letter, but I'll have to wait until I feel a bit better. I already have tears in my eyes. I really hate beliefs that can deprive us of our humanity.

NC

• elderelite
    elderelite

The problem dear shelby (peace to you) is that you have a very rigid world view. And its incorupatable. Supreme. Inviolate.

And self centered and flawed. Not everyone is you. Not everyone has an iron will. Some people are really duped and swayed to act in a way that they wouldnt otherwise because they believe god wants it, because they think its right in their heart. They are misinformed and mistaught but sincere. Your theory that bonds of love cant be altered by a cult is just plain silly. Cause not everyone is you. Im suprised a professional mediator isn more aware of human nature... Ah well we all grow at our own pace! Peace to you

• AGuest
    AGuest

Obviously, I don't "see" things as you do, dear EE (peace to you!)... or perhaps as some who think as you do (see above). I'm okay with that, though, truly (although I do sometimes wish some of you would stop looking for me to think/view things as you do - highly unlikely to occur).

I do think it's... curious... that "you" had to follow me to see what I had to say here, though (no doubt, the rest of the "usual" suspects will weigh in shortly). But I would offer... let's not now make THIS thread about me, too, shall we? I responded to the topic. "You" should consider doing that, and only that, as well. Meaning, if you don't like my comment/position... ignore it. TRY it. You can do it. Or maybe you can't, I dunno.

Im suprised a professional mediator isn more aware of human nature...

I'm surprised you think you know what a professional mediator does and what is required of one in doing it. One certainly does not refer to one's personal positions in mediation. To the contrary, one is trained... indeed required... to keep one's personal opinions out of the matter. Because the conflict isn't about the mediator... and the resolution isn't about what the mediator thinks/believes/knows: it's about the parties... what THEY think, believe, know... and helping them find mutual resolution based on that. Win-win, even, if possible (and I'm pretty good at helping them bring that possibility to reality).

Now, can we all get back to the OP... even if you don't care for my response to it?

Peace!

A slave of Christ,

SA, an INTJ... for whatever that's worth...

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

The letter indicates that this mother thinks that shunning is the loving thing to do. Many here are going through similar cult-effected thinking from truly caring loved ones who are misdirected. I hope you find the comfort and fellow feeling you need on this forum.

• tec
    tec

What a sad letter. Truly sad. She said that 'people will always let you down', and cannot see that she is one of those people who has let her son down.

It is also sad... that she puts her pursuit of everlasting life ahead of her son. She does not see that either. She might think that she is putting love for him first... but that she puts her pursuit of everlasting life OVER her son, shows otherwise. I get that she does not see that. But love does not do that. Love lays down one's life for others... how much more so a mother to her son? If she ever understands what she has done, she is going to spend her life regretting what she did here... even though I think her son will forgive and release her debt to him (if he has not already done so).

Sad. Very sad.

Peace,

tammy

• snowbird
    snowbird

Sad.

Self-serving.

Sickening.

Sobering.

Surrealistic.

Share this

Google+