Were 'alien residents' Second Class Israelites?

by The Searcher 32 Replies latest watchtower bible

• The Searcher
    The Searcher

The accepted teaching amongst most (I'm addressing fellow Witnesses here) is that 'alien residents' were merely "beneficiaries" of the Law Covenant, but were not equal with natural Israelites. The Insight Book has this to say; " The Law covenant between Jehovah and the nation of natural Israel was made in the third month after their leaving Egypt, in 1513 B.C.E. (Ex 19:1) It was a national covenant. One born a natural Israelite was, by birth, in the Law covenant and was thus in this special relationship with Jehovah".

The Law Covenant which Jehovah concluded with the nation of Israel is spoken of in

Exodus 19. In verse 8 it says, "After that all the people answered unanimously and said: “All that Jehovah has spoken we are willing to do.”

Notice, that all the people agreed; none were excluded. In Exodus 24:3, this is what occurred; "Then Moses came and related to the people all the words of Jehovah and all the judicial decisions, and all the people answered with one voice and said: “All the words that Jehovah has spoken we are willing to do.” Again, ' all' the people answered with ' one' voice". No exemptions - and no divisions were made.

When Moses received the unanimous acceptance by

everyone present, he then proceeded to validate the covenant by means of a blood sacrifice. (Exodus 24:8) It can be seen from the previous verses that non-Israelites were included in the Law Covenant, and would be willing subjects to all of its terms and conditions, as well as its benefits. Nowherein the Hebrew Scriptures is there even an inference that non-Isaelites were excluded from any aspect of the Law Covenant.

It is claimed that exclusion from the

Kingship and the priesthood is 'proof' that 'alien residents' were not included in the Law Covenant.

The priesthood was limited to members of the tribe of Levi, and the kingship was through the tribe of Judah - and guess who was assimilated and accepted as full members of the tribe of Judah? Read on.

The final and largest nail in the "beneficiaries" coffin is this; two

non- Israelite women had a part in producing the promised 'seed', someone who would become the greatest king/priest ever known to mankind. Those women were Rahab & Ruth - a Canaanitess and a Moabitess. And which tribe did they become part of of? The kingly and Messianic tribe of Judah!!!

Use the Watchtower CD ROM, and type in the Search bar "alien resident". There are approximately 60 references to them.

Every single reference demonstrates that Jehovah viewed such ones as equal to those born "natural Israelites".

"Test the inspired expression".

• Lurker555
    Lurker555

That's why I always thought that the "other sheep" do good

to Christ's Brothers by field service etc. etc. is bologne. They

both have the same laws to live up to.

• outsmartthesystem
    outsmartthesystem

Playing devil's advocate here: couldn't it be said that ALL the people spoke and were in agreement because ALL the people truly were Israelites then? This was only 3 months after the exodus. Were there even any "alien residents" dwelling with them at that time?

• Guest with Questions
    Guest with Questions

First, I don't believe the Jehovah's Witnesses are God's organization. I believe they are false prophets. But I do agree that the Old Covenant was made with natural Israel. Where I totally disagree with the JW's is that God rejected Israel and made a New Covenant with Spiritual Israel (144,000 annointed). I also disagree with some Christian denominations that teach Replacement Theology; that the Church has replaced Israel.

This subject is close to my heart. I wish I had more time to go into it right now. The following verses may be of help to you.

Psalm 105:8, Jeremiah 31:31, Romans 11, Galatians 3:8-9,

Ephesians 2:11-13 Jew and Gentile Reconciled Through Christ 11 Therefore, remember that formerly you who are Gentiles by birth and called “uncircumcised” by those who call themselves “the circumcision” (which is done in the body by human hands) — 12 remember that at that time you were separate from Christ, excluded from citizenship in Israel and foreigners to the covenants of the promise, without hope and without God in the world. 13 But now in Christ Jesus you who once were far away have been brought near by the blood of Christ.

• blondie
    blondie

There were many people who left Egypt that were neither natural born Israelites or proselytes.

• outsmartthesystem
    outsmartthesystem

blondie - do u have any WT references? (you ALWAYS do) :)

• Bobcat
    Bobcat

The Searcher:

I think I understand what you are getting at. But I don't believe parts of your argument would stand up to an objective analysis. I have parts of Exodus 19:1-7 and 24:1-8 copied below. I think if you look at the context, "all the people" refers to the Israelites.

I included Jeremiah 31:31-32 because it comments on the Mosaic covenant, referring to, "the house of Israel and with the house of Judah ... the covenant that I concluded with their forefathers in the day of my taking hold of their hand to bring them forth out of the land of Egypt ..."

Exodus 19:1-7: (selected parts)

In the third month after the sons of Israel came out of the land of Egypt, ... 2 ... and Israel went camping there in front of the mountain.

3 And Moses went up to the [true] God, and Jehovah began to call to him out of the mountain, saying: "This is what you are to say to the house of Jacob and to tell the sons of Israel, 4 ... 5 And now if YOU will strictly obey my voice and will indeed keep my covenant, then YOU will certainly become my special property out of all [other] peoples, because the whole earth belongs to me. 6 And YOU yourselves will become to me a kingdom of priests and a holy nation.' These are the words that you are to say to the sons of Israel." ...

7 So Moses came and called the older men of the people and set before them all these words that Jehovah had commanded him.

Exodus 24:1-8: (selected parts)

24 And to Moses he said: "Go up to Jehovah, you and Aaron, Na′dab and A·bi′hu and seventy of the older men of Israel,...

3 Then Moses came and related to the people all the words of Jehovah and all the judicial decisions, and all the people answered with one voice and said: "All the words that Jehovah has spoken we are willing to do." 4 Accordingly Moses wrote down all the words of Jehovah. Then he got up early in the morning and built at the foot of the mountain an altar and twelve pillars corresponding with the twelve tribes of Israel. 5 After that he sent young men of the sons of Israel and they offered up burnt offerings and sacrificed bulls as sacrifices, as communion sacrifices to Jehovah. 6 Then Moses took half the blood and put it in bowls, and half the blood he sprinkled upon the altar. 7 Finally he took the book of the covenant and read it in the ears of the people. Then they said: "All that Jehovah has spoken we are willing to do and be obedient." 8 So Moses took the blood and sprinkled it upon the people and said: "Here is the blood of the covenant that Jehovah has concluded with YOU as respects all these words."

Jeremiah 31:31-32:

31 "Look! There are days coming," is the utterance of Jehovah, "and I will conclude with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah a new covenant; 32 not one like the covenant that I concluded with their forefathers in the day of my taking hold of their hand to bring them forth out of the land of Egypt, ‘which covenant of mine they themselves broke, although I myself had husbandly ownership of them,' is the utterance of Jehovah."

The confusion and bigotry is with the Society. First, they mis-identify the "other sheep" of John 10:16. These were/are Gentiles who become Jesus' followers. In the parable in John chapter 10, Jesus says about the sheep that they "follow him" (vs.4), are "saved" (vs.9), and "might have life ... in abundance" (vs.11). Whether such ones rule with Christ or not is irrelevent.

The Society likes to characterize the "Great Crowd" as "alien residents." And indeed, Revelation describes them as "out of all nations and tribes and peoples and tongues." But those who rule as kings with Christ are also described as "out of every tribe and tongue and people and nation" in Revelation 5:9, 10. So if the one group is "alien," then, so is the other.

But that the "great crowd" is counted as part of the twelve tribes mentioned in Revelation 7:4-8 can be seen by what they are doing. "They are rendering him sacred service day and night in his temple." (Rev 7:15) Here, "temple" is the Greek Naos which is distinguished in Revelation 11:1, 2 from "the courtyard that is outside the temple." The Society likes to say that the great crowd is in the 'courtyard of the gentiles.' That conflicts with how Revelation presents the "temple." The great crowd being in the temple would be an abomination if they were considered "alien residents." (Compare Lam 1:10) The "great crowd" is included among "those worshiping in" the temple. (Rev 7:15) They are not among "the nations" who are in "the courtyard that is outside the temple."

The 144,000 are taken "out of" the twelve tribes, just like the great crowd of Rev 7 and the kings of Rev 5 are "out of" the various nations. The 144,000 represent a smaller group taken from a larger group (the twelve tribes), which means the twelve tribes have more in them than just the 144,000.

I think what you are trying to say (and correct me if I am wrong), is that 'alien residents' also are in the New Covenant. What I'm saying is that all Christians are part of the "Israel of God," (from Gal 6:16) and thus, in the New Conenant. And all of them are "alien residents" in connection with the world.

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

I don't have my Watchtower CD here at work but I recall reading that the Hebrew word the New World Translation translates as "alien resident" is rendered in other translations as "illegal alien" or "undocumented worker."

They typically did a lot of the work for the Israelites that they did not care to do for themselves such as laboring in the fields, landscaping, heavy constructions projects, roofing, etc. They would often cross the fence at the border, work for several months and then return home to their families. Some were caught trying to enter but the majority were able to move back and forth by crossing desert areas and along rivers. In some cases they were granted amnesty and allowed to stay. If a young man joined the Israelite military, he would go to the front of the line when seeking citizenship. Quite often, he would then bring other members of his family to join him in his new land.

Hope this helps.

Rub a Dub

• blondie
  • AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly

Alien residents were to share in the Israelites' inheritance. That would make them co-heirs with the Israelites.

(Ezekiel 47:21-23)

21 "And YOU must apportion this land to yourselves, to the twelve tribes of Israel. 22 And it must occur that YOU should allot it for inheritance to yourselves and to the alien residents who are residing as aliens in YOUR midst, who have become father to sons in the midst of YOU. And they must become to YOU like a native among the sons of Israel. With YOU people they will fall [by lot] into an inheritance in the midst of the tribes of Israel. 23 And it must occur that in the tribe with which the alien resident has taken up residence as an alien, there is where YOU should give his inheritance," is the utterance of the Sovereign Lord Jehovah.

Are members of the 'other sheep' co-heirs with the 'spiritual Israelites' of the everlasting inheritance? Will members of the 'other sheep' inherit the very same lots as the 'spiritual Israelites'?

Alien residents had more privileges in the Law Covenant era than their 'anti-typical' counterparts in the new covenant era.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit