Those who WERE or ARE Elders (Re: Molestation Coverup)

by dontplaceliterature 44 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• cofty
    cofty

Ask any trained person what they must do if they hear a report of child sex abuse and they will answer, "Ensure the child is not in immediate danger and call the police &/or social services without delay".

Ask any JW elder the same question and he will tell you, "Call Watchtower lawyers".

When an organisation's pubic image is paramount people get hurt.

• JakeM2012
    JakeM2012

I don't remember a case of child abuse. I think their policy is obvious inadequate to protect children.

In one congregation a brother was arrested, convicted, and sent to prison for being a serial rapist. Duct tape and ski mask stuff. He was privately reproved by his congregation. My dad called and asked his PO what they were going to do with A-n-H, and the elder was upset. "How did you find out about it"? "I read it in the newspaper today." Years later he was appointed a MS and he didn't even have to move. We just rolled our eyes. When the BOE letter was sent in 98? about making a list of child molesters, we asked about reporting a serial rapist. CO said, "NO, just child molesters".

Elders School was practically 2 days of speakers reading off a manuscript continually saying "don't write anything to them about a specific case; and call the legal department, call the legal department, call the legal department". Oh, couldn't use a cell phone at that time either.

One brother after the elders school said "what wonderful new light from the governing body." I asked why did he feel that the governing body was leading when they continually said "call the legal department"? The lawyers and real estate agents are running the show.

I hope this is a wake up call before more children are ruined.

• dontplaceliterature
    dontplaceliterature

Guys, this is exactly what I am looking for.

Cofty, great point. Daringheart13, mythreesons, everyone, .

Can anyone speak in more detail as to what instructions are given to Elders at the Ministry School that only they attend?

• sherah
    sherah

bumping for more comments

Many non-JW's are probably lurking thanks to our sending out online news links and social media. Great topic.

• dontplaceliterature
    dontplaceliterature

Thanks, sherah.

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff

Just to be on the record, my view is that the Legal Dept runs the whole thing on pedophiles, at the behest of the GB.

I was an elder and a Gilead grad. Got to spend a decent amount of time w eService Dept elders. All claims or anything hinting of pedophile/ sexual abuse gets directed immediately to Legal. From there, a LEGAL (read: CYA) plan is adopted.

FYI, I haven't changed my view at all since I left. I DFd a few, got to read all the letters and see first hand what the BORG is all about in these cases. it's all about them. They don't care about preventing pedophilia. They only care about dodging their ever apparent culpability over it.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

I wholeheartedly agree with Cofty.

To comment for myself, I never had to deal with one of these matters, but I tended to think that elders should have always turned the whole case over to local experts.
    If you don't have the 2 witnesses, you can still stand by the victim for support without judging the perpetrator.

I always felt that the first prioriry is to the child. Let Jehovah protect the organization.

• jam
    jam

When I was A elder in late 70,s and early 80,s

the only time you might or even consider contacting

the authorities would probably been A case of murder.

Thinking about it now it makes me ill. Wives abused by

their husbands, childrens abused by parents. Molestation,

dealt with that one time. In this case, A daughter and father.

The father was not A Jw, so the brothers told her to contact the

authorities. But among the witnesses, everything was handle

in house.

• wasastar
    wasastar

I served on two different judicial committees involving sexual abuse of a minor. As directed we phoned the Wathctower Legal department and followed their instructions. We were told not bring up the matter of involving the authorities. If the family asked about this we were to reply that we could not give them any advice on what course of action to pursue. It was evident through out the process that the priority was to protect the reputation of the organization rather than the welfare of the victim. We never encouraged the families to seek counseling for the victim. Apparrently the two construction workers and the janitor that sat on the committee would provide any needed assistance. The watchtower does not care about the victims at all. They are only a problem that has to be dealt with.

• falseprophet

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit