District Convention Lunches... Invisibly present since... (1995)?

by darthfader 16 Replies latest social humour

• darthfader
    darthfader

Thanks for the interesting comments.

I remember being a kid going to the Norco CA Assembly hall early to help prepare food (actually I stacked cans of Shasta soda) for the assembly. And big pots of beans for the District Assembly at Dodgers Staduim!

It was the only thing I liked about being a JW kid.

• JWOP
    JWOP

I remember the tickets and the lines. Sometimes we'd volunteer to help with the concessions. I was disfellowshipped the first time in 1987, when I returned in 1993 they had already done away with the food service.

• tim hooper
    tim hooper

Some interesting old footage of assembly accommodation and feeding facilities here:

http://www.britishpathe.com/video/witnesses-baptised/query/Jehovahs+Witnesses

• jookbeard
    jookbeard

I reckon the very late 80's - early 90's and it was gone, when I got baptized at Hays Bridge in 1987 the CAH was maybe a couple of years old and had an excellent catering facility built into and it had a large canteen that could seat a lot of people easily, what a waste.

• Farkel
    Farkel

Since they have invisible "spiritual food", why shouldn't their lunches be invisible while Jesus is invisibly ruling in Kingdom Power?

The only thing in Watchtower World(tm) that is not invisible is their books and the cash from Culties who buys them. Even pedophiles are "invisible."

Fakel

• sir82
    sir82
    Wasn't this all to avoid the "tax/profit" issue?

Lunches disappeared about 10 years or so after the "donation arrangement" for literature was put into place.

I think they went away primarily because gluttonous JWs were each scarfing up enough food for a half dozen people, and taking it back to their hotels or home after the DC was over, and not contributing.

"Free food" is as irresistible a call to JWs as "free beer" is to a frat boy.

I think a secondary reason was fear of litigation. You had sandwiches made with questionable lunchmeat sitting out at room temperature, or directly in the sun, for hours at a time. I'm quite surprised there was not more food poisoning cases at the DCs.

• darthfader
    darthfader

Sir 82. thanks for that -- I never thought about the liability and hoarding free food. go figure. cheers!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit