District Convention Lunches... Invisibly present since... (1995)?

by darthfader 16 Replies latest social humour

• darthfader
    darthfader

Thanks to Billy the X for connecting the "invisible lunch"....

Anyone remember when they quit providing lunch? Was it around the same time that the publications went to "complete donation bases"?

Wasn't this all to avoid the "tax/profit" issue?

Cheers!

• finally awake
    finally awake

I guess it just wouldn't do for the Borg to have to get a sales tax registration and file returns, now would it?

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Yes i think it was about the same time, 1990 give or take a couple of years. Mind you I was only a wean and can only vaguely remember standing in a queue with tickets waiting for my sausage roll.

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

I remember at an old assembly hall where we worked and if I remember right, we brought in homemade pies to sell. Did anyone do that or am I dreaming? (W. Wash)

• wasblind
    wasblind

I don't mean to derail this thread but if I may interject, I would like to apologize to the poster called Sulla, in his defense of the WTS

He told me that the WTS is nothin' like the Ole plantation slave masters of the south and that the comparison

was way off base. He was right.

" The owners duty to feed his slaves worked much like his duty to clothe them."_______Picturing a People: A HISTORY OF AFRICAN AMERICANS FROM 1619-1900 PAGE 43

" There were periods when the incessant labor was eased. Most slaves were given sunday off if the master was a "good, God-fearing Christian " This was a day much needed for rest, relaxation, and recuperation.________ Picturing a People: A HISTORY OF AFRICAN AMERICANS FROM 1619-1900 PAGE 43

Compare this to the WTS

" WE CAN GIVE JEHOVAH ( THE WTS )

TIME: Perhaps we could adjust our schedual in order to auxiliary pioneer one or MORE months a year. Maybe we could LENGTHEN the time we usually spend in the ministry. Staying out an EXTRA 30 minutes each week would INCREASE our ministry by at least two hours a month."_______OUR KINGDOM MINISTRY MARCH 2008 PAGE ONE

The more the sheep give to the WTS the less they recieve

BTTT

• MrFreeze
    MrFreeze

Invisible lunches are a lot cheaper than real lunches.

• Las Malvinas son Argentinas
    Las Malvinas son Argentinas

I always found the District Conventions disgusting exercises in close proximity to people you'd typically ignore at a similarly attended sport event. How can all those people eat in a relatively quiet environment and not lose their appetites?

• panhandlegirl
    panhandlegirl

I remember at an old assembly hall where we worked and if I remember right, we brought in homemade pies to sell. Did anyone do that or am I dreaming? (W. Wash)

JWdaughter, I remember doing that back in the 60s-70s.

• cofty
    cofty

Catering at Murrayfield, Edinburgh wasn't too shabby back in the day

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

The assembly lunches and dinners were not really that of an enjoyable experience.

There was usually long line ups to be served as well to purchased tickets, the food was so so because it had to be prepared

well before it was to be served.

There were usually shortages, so if you were late in line sometimes you were left out.

Most times you had to stand and eat because to seat all the people where the food was being served would be impossible in most cases.

I know of a lot of witnesses just left after the Sunday program ended because they just didn't want to stand in line and they pretty much

had enough of the assembly experience in general.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit