I AM THE NEW MEETUP ORGANIZER FOR EX-JW's IN MICHIGAN

by AK MCGRATH 30 Replies latest jw friends

• AK MCGRATH
    AK MCGRATH

Hi all you fellow Michiganders.

I wanted to make you aware that the MEETUP site entitled, "EX-JEHOVAH'S WITNESSES OF MICHIGAN" will not be disolved. I decided since today was the last day before it would be no more, I should step up, and so I gladly did.

Seeing that there has not been one MEETUP since it's inception, I plan to change that.

I know there is at least one person from here who is registered with our MEETUP. I'm posting this here because, at least in the past, I had read about others living in Michigan.

My goal is to have one MEETUP a month, at various locations (I'm about 1/2 hour North of East Lansing, myself) around Michigan. I will be willing to drive a few hours to do so, too. Perhaps we can meet halfway if some are too far.

There are 20 people on our MEETUP, and I thought it would be a shame to just let it go. It is a great thing to have online friends, who can be an invaluable life-line of sorts, but nothing replaces face-to-face contact. We need each other, and it is my hope that not only will we be able to each share our stories and find comfort and understanding in one another, but that life-long friendships may be created.

Feel free to PM me, e-mail me however you want to.

Although my schedule is hectic, as most peoples are, I am hoping to start off by having a MEETUP in July. The location may be regulated to whomever contacts me to let me know they are in fact, interested in meeting up. I am open to ANY and ALL suggestions on how we can make our meetups a success!

Of course, anyone you would want to bring along, either ex-witness or not is welcome. My girlfriend (I am gay) has never been a JW but is wholly supportive of my LOATHING of the WTBTS, and I am sure it gives our loved ones an even clearer picture of the struggles we have endured, each in our own way.

Please join if you haven't already..membership is FREE..And if you have already joined, please update any info on MEETUP. I have changed a few things.

Thank you so much and I hope to meet every one of you in the near future

http://www.meetup.com/EX-Jehovahs-Witnesses-of-Michigan/

• serenitynow!
    serenitynow!

Hey girl! How come you didn't tell me about this? I would have made you co-leader of my Detroit group, so you could help me. Is this the former Ann Arbor group? I hope you didn't have to pay to keep it because I can sponsor one more group at no extra cost. I'm going to PM you my number, text me. I love the meetups but I just hate planning them.

• AK MCGRATH
    AK MCGRATH

Hi serenity..I just PM'd you back. Yes, I did pay for it..all 6 months in advance. It was the last day to keep it going and so after I got paid, I went to the bank and deposited funds. Then I wasn't sure if I'd even have access to the I-Net, cuz I went to my other job. I was left the passcode by the family and so I was able to get on in time..YAY!

I will help you in whatever way I can. Thank you for your number..I will text you so you have mine

Do you have many meetups? I have yet to go to a single one. It is not becuz I do not want to, it is just with my schedule..and in July I may be working another two weeks straight live-in. Still, I do think it is important to meetup soon..however..whenever. If July doesn't happen to pan out, then I MUST have something in Aug.

I'm thinking of meeting in a restuarant, or if people lived closer to me, I would be willing to host a BBQ...and I'd say we can have a bonfire, but not sure it's wanted in this weather..hah

Well, I'm going to text you my number now..take care, and talk again soon.

Let's get this rockin and rollin!

• AK MCGRATH
    AK MCGRATH

I have been contacted by a few people living in the Novi, MI area today who are expressing interest in meeting up. I've already made an announcement on the MEETUP board for a potential MEETUP in July

Any one of you in Michigan, PLEASE check it out, and join the group if you haven't already.

THANKU!

• AK MCGRATH
    AK MCGRATH

Serenity, I negleted to answer your questions above by mistake..Sorry.

Yes, this was the former Ann Arbor group, but since I live near Lansing I decided to change the location.

And I did not tell you I was going to take over the MEETUP, because in all honesty, I didn't think to. Secondly, it all happened kind of last-minute. Perhaps, though, we can merge the two MEETUPS when your dues are coming up, and then we can take turns paying? I'm paid up for 6 months.

Let me know. I'm easy..whatever you want or works best for everyone

• darth frosty
    darth frosty

glad you were able to keep it going maybe one day i will be able to attend.

• AK MCGRATH
    AK MCGRATH

Hiya Darth

Just to let you know, it seems there are five of us (so far) that are going to meet in Novi. The weekends seem to be the best for everyone. I am hoping you will be able to join us, sooner, rather than later

Serenitynow...Can you please RSVP on the MEETUP board since it seems you, too, are attending? Some may feel encouraged to go if they see there are more in numbers. Thanks, chica

• QuestioningEverything
    QuestioningEverything

I'm interested. I"m in Lansing.

• AK MCGRATH
    AK MCGRATH

Ooh, Lansing? I'm excited! Are you registered on the MEETUP site I mentioned above? I am very interactive with it. I already have a MEETUP scheduled for July, but without a date.

Someone did some calling around (yay others are really exited, too!) and it seems as if the Olive Garden takes reservations for groups of 8 or more, perhaps having our own little area. This is sounding great to me.

The next step is to set an actual date. I am still not sure what my July schedule is, as it is out of my hands at this point. As SOON as I know it, I will post something on here and over at MEETUP.

Although, as it turns out, I actually have THIS weekend free for sure. I am wondering if anyone would want to meet then? I know it is kind of last-minute, but what say you all? I am going to ask on the MEETUP board & send e-mails out, too.

Questioning..Since you are in Lansing, then perhaps I can schedule something in August for the area. I think it would be great if we can all be a little flexible, if possible and kind of have a roaming MEETUP group. For instance, Novi this month, Lansing next month, Ann Arbor is Sept., in this way, we try to keep it fair and the nice change of scenery is good.

Any suggestions you have, Questioning..please feel free to ask. I hope to meet you soon, especially since you are in my own back yard

Any Michiganders reading this..what are your thoughts for a MEETUP this weekend?? Say Sunday, perhaps, about 2-3 pm in Novi Olive Garden?

• QuestioningEverything
    QuestioningEverything

AKM-I am not on the Meetup site yet. But, meeting you and the others sounds wonderful. I am unable to attend this weekend, work project. But, the places you mentioned aren't very far from me. I'll check out the meetup site .

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit