How often do you visit the grave site for your deceased Loved ones?

by jam 24 Replies latest jw friends

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

JAM:

I visited my Mom's mother's grave because I never met her. She died before I was born and I was always curious about her and how sad that she had a difficult life and died relatively young. I haven't visited other relatives' graves because they are too far and not convenient to get to. In some cases they were cremated and there is no grave to visit.

• talesin
    talesin

I had two really close friends that died young. One at 19, the other at 27. They were buried in the same cemetery. I used to go and visit their graves often, and would sit down and have a chat as if they were still here. Not because I believe in an afterlife, but because I missed them so. Every visit, I would place a small stone on the gravestone of each of them, to show someone was there, and they are not forgotten. (Jewish tradition that I think is awesome)

My grandparents' graves are too far away for me to visit, but I want to go visit my aunt's place of rest this summer. I was denied going to her funeral (well, it was -20 and no one would come get me, it's a long bus trip, then about 1/2 hour walk,,, my parents said "you can take the bus", oh, and I'd just lost a baby), and she was the only one in my family who treated me with love. I miss her so!!!!!!!!!!!!!! RIP, Aunt B, and thank you.

t

• factfinder
    factfinder

My parents were cremated and we have their cremains each in a nice wood oak box by their picture on the living room mantle, so I visit my parents every day.

• sizemik
    sizemik

Never . . .

My Dad died in '84 . . . my Mum's still alive somewhere. I was never really part of my family even as a kid . . . my two twin (older) sisters were the stars of the show. My Father and I barely spoke in 23 years . . . Mum was always busy doin' her thing.

I haven't spoken to any of them in years, and don't care if I never do . . . and no, they were never witnesses, just a crap family.

A grave site means little to me . . . very old memories of my G'Father and G'Mother is all I have, and I visited thier graves 22 years ago. It did nothing to enhance the memory so I never did it again.

• Bubblegum Apotheosis
    Bubblegum Apotheosis

I like "Pam's mum's" idea of bringing flowers to the living instead of the dead! I know Blondie is correct about no spirit hanging around the gravestone, and I agree it feel's ackward being in a cemetary, but if it helps with someone's grieving, why not?

@sizemik: family can really suck, I did not know what a mean person your father was, the impact of their harsh words can last a life-time, unless you are able to discount their opinion to their actual worth of zero! I have not visted the sites of my parents, it does not appeal to me, some parents try to do their best with their limited training, and others treat their kids like they wised they never were born! Big Internet Hug Sizemik!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit