Just got a visit from the Elders

by Resistance is Futile 11 Replies latest jw friends

• Resistance is Futile
    Resistance is Futile

First a little background. I've never been a JW, my spouse was born in and disfellowshipped as a young adult. When I saw the subsequent treatment from family I was disgusted. It made me want to find out every thing I could about the Watchtower Cult. JW's from my spouse's side of the family will still talk to me because I've never openly criticized their "religion". I'm a fairly optimistic person so I've always held out hope that some of them will wake up. There is hope for some of the younger generation, people aren't as gullible as they used to be.

My spouse wasn't home when the Elders dropped by. I know they were simply being good Watchtower drones and following Corporate procedure by doing their annual checkup on disfellowshipped ones. What is the real purpose of the annual visit? Keep in mind that my spouse has been out for several years and this is the Elder's first visit, although I've heard that's fairly common.

It's truly a sick system the Watchtower has created. Kick anyone out who won't blindly follow the leaders of the Cult, then cut off contact with the person's "friends" and family. Then send out Watchtower drones to attempt to assimilate the person back in. I imagine this technique is not very successful at pulling people back in, but does probably work occasionally.

Anyone hear actually gotten an annual Elder's visit? How did it go?

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

oh they get them back because they have hostages

• cantleave
    cantleave

The purpose is to ascertain if there is any change of heart.

If he was DF'd for apostasy they won't call.

• Paralipomenon
    Paralipomenon

Usually it coincides with a CO's visit. He likely put pressure on them to get it done last visit.

• blondie
    blondie

The elders are directed to visit the df'd and da'd once a year (they shouldn't need directions to call on inactive jws) because the thought was that the da'd/df'd would have to take the first initiative. The WTS changed to this directive and the circuit overseers check up once a year to see if the elders have tried to do it (exceptions are radical or vocal ones). If elders weren't directed to do this and the circuit overseer didn't check, most elders would never do this expecting the df'd/da'd jw to have the responsibility to come to all the meetings and ask the elders for help (in this area in a written sealed letter in the contribution box).

*** km 8/08 p. 3 Announcements ***The elders are reminded to follow through on instructions given on pages 21-23 of the April 15, 1991, Watchtower regarding any disfellowshipped or disassociated ones who may be inclined toward becoming reinstated.

*** w91 4/15 p. 23 pars. 13-15 Imitate God’s Mercy Today ***

13 In recent times there have been cases in which an elder happened to meet a disfellowshipped person. Where appropriate, the shepherd briefly outlined the steps to be taken for reinstatement. Some persons like this repented and were reinstated. Such joyful outcomes indicate that there may be disfellowshipped or disassociated ones who would respond to a merciful approach made by the shepherds. But how might the elders handle this matter? Once a year at most, the body of elders should consider whether there are such persons living in their territory. The elders would focus on those who have been expelled for over a year. According to the circumstances, if it is appropriate, they would assign two elders (hopefully ones familiar with the situation) to visit such an individual. No visit would be made on any who evidence a critical, dangerous attitude or who have made it known that they want no help.—Romans 16:17, 18; 1 Timothy 1:20; 2 Timothy 2:16-18.

14 The two shepherds could telephone to ask about making a brief visit, or they could stop by at a suitable time. During the visit, they need not be stern or even cool but should warmly reflect their merciful concern. Instead of reviewing the past case, they could discuss Bible texts such as Isaiah 1:18 and 55:6, 7 and James 5:20. If the person is interested in returning to God’s flock, they could kindly explain what steps he should take, such as reading the Bible and publications of the Watch Tower Society and attending meetings at the Kingdom Hall.

15 These elders will need wisdom and discernment to determine whether there is indication of repentance and whether a follow-up visit would be advisable. They should bear in mind, of course, that some disfellowshipped persons will never be ‘revived to repentance.’ (Hebrews 6:4-6; 2 Peter 2:20-22) After the visit, the two would give a brief oral report to the Congregation Service Committee. They, in turn, would inform the body of elders at their next meeting. The elders’ merciful initiative will have reflected God’s view: “‘Return to me, and I will return to you,’ Jehovah of armies has said.”—Malachi 3:7.

• MrFreeze
    MrFreeze

It works more than not sending someone out works. That is why they do it.

• Disillusioned Lost-Lamb
    Disillusioned Lost-Lamb

I agree with Para; they usually do a small, very small, bit of this either during or right before the CO visit; this way they can say that they are keeping up with the flock and get the slave driving CO off their backs.

• Quendi
    Quendi

The elders are free to use their discretion in whom they choose to visit. Blondie cites the Kingdom Ministry directive on this that would seem to direct that elders visit all the disfellowshipped and disassociated persons in their congregation. A closer reading, however, shows there is a loophole. The actual wording is that visits are to be made toward "any disfellowshipped or disassociated ones who may be inclined toward becoming reinstated". So if the elders don't think a person is so "inclined", that frees them of the need to make the yearly visit. The additional information Blondie shared makes that point abundantly clear.

I was disfellowshipped in 2005 and until I moved away from Colorado this year I received a grand total of one visit from the false shepherds in my congregation. That visit was hardly uplifting or refreshing and it couldn't end soon enough to suit me. Thereafter I was completely ignored. They really don't care about the "lost sheep" preferring instead to leave them to the mercies of the wolf. These visits are all a sham, of course. In subsequent meetings with my judicial committee I was asked if I wanted to return and if I believed the WTS was the sole channel God was using to give truth to mankind. By that time the answer to both questions was "No", an answer I have never regretted.

Isn't it interesting that among the steps that are required for reinstatement "reading...publications of the Watch Tower Society" is one of them? Reading the Bible isn't enough. Attending meetings and being humiliated into taking a back row seat is insufficient. One must also elevate the WTS publications to equality with the Bible itself as well. It has been that way for years. The publications are always mentioned in the same breath as the Bible itself and if you listen closely enough you can discern that the publications are given primacy.

Only one-third of those who are disfellowshipped or disassociated ever return to the organization. That's a failing grade in anybody's book, a fact that I enjoyed pointing out to my judicial committee. The angry silence which followed my remark gave me much satisfaction. It reinforced my decision that once I walked out of the Kingdom Hall I would never return. I haven't and am all the happier for it.

Quendi

• fulltimestudent
    fulltimestudent

Getting DF'd was such a wonderful kick in the arse, for me. Life is so wonderful for me that I will never ever ever go back, and that's in spite of the fact that I had some rather good times inside. But the truth is that if you have reasonable emotional balance, you can have good times anywhere.

• finally awake
    finally awake

I haven't set foot in a kindom hall in roughly 7 months and I haven't heard a peep from the local elders. I have no idea whether they will try to contact me in the future, but I can guarantee that I won't answer the phone if they do.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit