Brits

by NewChapter 61 Replies latest jw friends

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

I wrote a scene with an Indian family living in America. I asked a young woman born in India to look it over and make sure I didn't say anything clueless. WELL. She was taught PROPER English, and just ripped up Americans for the way they use the language. She was saying we were disrespectful and lazy. That no American author was any good because they did not understand the language. That we should speak just as the Brits do---like she does.

I was kind of taken aback. I pointed out that an ocean separated us, and it's been a long time since we've shared any common history, and that our immigration mix was different than England''s, and that we also have many Native American words, and that language should serve the people, not the people language, and therefore should be particular to the region.

She would have none of it. It was stunning to watch her rip Americans apart (not their language---but them) while seeming to forget that I was American and she had just read something from one of those hopeless American writers that are incapable of writing anything.

Sheesh.

• cofty
    cofty

My school photograph...

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

My school photograph...

LOL--I suspected as much.

• charlie brown jr.
    charlie brown jr.

I worked at a Chinese Rest. and They were NEVER offended by the "CHINC FOOD"...............

From where I am from.........

It was never meant to be BAD!!!!!!!!!

Hell In Boston "Fag" Doesn't mean Gay............

It means Your a Fu***G Pussy!!!!!!!!!!! LOL

It really depends where your from............................

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

Here is a pic of my first date.

• Open mind
    Open mind

"Chink" is absolutely NOT ok on the US West Coast in my experience. Asians, not just the Chinese, who get called this take it about the same as African Amercans do to the "N" word.

om

• cofty
    cofty

My first convention at Murrayfield...

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

Me and my first pet. That's my aunt's hand.

• Number 6
    Number 6

I am English born but have live almost all my life in Scotland. I am British first and Scottish and/or English second.

Referring to us as 'Brits' is no problem for me.

Note to Alex Salmond leader of the Scottish Nationalist Party up here... would you do us all the courtesy of at least first winning any referendum you plan to hold on Scottish Independence before acting like its a done deal. Many of us Scots are proud to be British and want it to remain the United Kingdom. Sorry rant over.

Craig

• cofty
    cofty

Here is a pic of my first date.

Interesting date, makes a change from going to the pictures (movies)

Cats deserve it but bid your aunt hate you?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit