Brits

by NewChapter 61 Replies latest jw friends

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

Please don't use "English" as a generic label though.

THAT's what I was always trying to avoid! LOL So I used Brits. I have a friend from Scotland and one from Wales---who now lives in London---and Brit just seemed easier.

On teeth: I have no idea. My friend from Wales is super pretty, very blond natural hair, etc and very straight and pretty teeth. She lived here in the States for a while and went to the dentist for some kind of retainer. I said 'your teeth are perfectly straight!" She yes, "Yes, but I want them to be American straight."

What does that even mean?

NC

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

Just don't call them "wankers

LOL---I am writing a character that is somewhat mystical---appears to be from somewhere in Briitain---but has a fleeting nature and sounds Irish one minute, English the next, archaic, modern, and sounds rather American when she pleases. This is on purpose, because she cannot be pinned down. She is getting ready to call some very important and scary people Wankers--cuz I love the term, and I reckon the context will make it very funny.

NC

• Qcmbr
    Qcmbr

I am utterly guilty of refering to the UK as England, I also have a gut feeling of frustration that Scotland, Wales and Ireland(!) aren't pleased to be associated with the English. I have an automatic subroutine that makes me feel puzzled when Welsh or Scottish people are chuffed when English teams get beaten or revel in a mild form of English hatred. I know the history of English oppression but don't see how that is relevant today (I don't have any bitter feelings against the Italians for their invasions of yore.)

I'm not saying I don't understand the antipathy I'm just saying I don't empathise with it - don't feel it in my gut. Funny how we are wired and culturally composed!

In my mind I'm standing in tweed and stockings looking with an arched eyebrow and a small smirk swinging a golf club saying , " I thought that was all in the past chaps and we're all in the same boat now. Fancy a pims ? Pip pip tally ho." Which of course , once verbalised presses all the Celtic buttons I'm sure. hehe.

• cofty
    cofty

I know the history of English oppression but don't see how that is relevant today - Qcmbr

As a Scotsman who has read a lot of Scottish/English history and who will hate Edward I until the day I die, I have to say I agree with you.

"Those days are gone now...and in the past they must remain"

• Qcmbr
    Qcmbr

Just to clarify - I was born in Rhodesia. My lineage is 25% Dutch, 25% Welsh and 50 % English and I've married a Welsh lady... this may help , probably not.

• THE GLADIATOR
    THE GLADIATOR

In the UK where I live we have no problem with abbreviations. British being called Brits is cool. Australians are Aussies. Americans are Yanks. Chinese are Chinks. But don’t ever call a Pakistani a Paki. You will be sent to the tower and never seen again.

Why these rules have been invented is beyond me.

You may call me Glad.

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

Fancy a pims ? Pip pip tally ho."

• Qcmbr
  • NewChapter
    NewChapter

Which one is you , Q?

• Qcmbr
    Qcmbr

Need you ask? I have the decency to fully attach my deerstalker under the chin and stand with a delicate air.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit