After twenty four years of loyal service, I am about to commit treason...

by CaptainSchmideo 26 Replies latest jw friends

• diamondiiz
    diamondiiz

In this day and age you need to look after yourself first.

• botchtowersociety
    botchtowersociety

Hey Schmideo, you need to be loyal to yourself. After 24 years, you also need to get out of the comfort zone, and with a big bump in compensation, you have a perfect excuse to do it.

• Joe Grundy
    Joe Grundy

When I retired from the police I had a conversation with a colleague retiring at the same time. It covered the points raised in OP - loyalty, etc., (although we'd both 'served our time').

He said to me 'When all's said and done, we're all just a line of Tippex on a duty rota. Tomorrow someone else's name will be written over ours'.

He was right.

Good luck with getting and enjoying the new job.

• Jim_TX
    Jim_TX

You aren't about to commit treason. Nope. You are about to move up in your career. That's all.

You may like your current employer, but from what you've written he evidently does not 'like' you enough to be considerate and give you periodic raises based upon performance reviews.

Also, from what I understand, you have not been hired - yet - by the new company. Take a deep breath and go through the interview process and see what they have to offer - if they offer. Then, if it looks good... take it.

It may be new territory, and out of your current comfort zone, but sometimes that is a good thing. It helps keep you on your toes. No doubt, you will do okay.

Good Luck!!! (It feels great being able to say that!)

Regards,

Jim TX

P.S. Keep us posted on what happens, please.

• Think About It
    Think About It

You aren't about to commit treason.

I thought treason was too harsh of a word also. It's opportunity, not treason. I've seen people come & go, and believe me, EVERYBODY is replaceable, and the business goes on without you. I just wish them the best, and see about obtaining a replacement. It's the ones that you want to leave who never just go.

Think About It

• mind blown
    mind blown

Yay.....congratulations!

If I can let you in on something, your feelings about departing is very common. It's happend to many people I know as well as myself. Trying someting new is a scary move, but we are the ones who put those limitations upon ourselves, as you are aware. The funny thing is, I remember going through that scary period and once I was wonder way, doing the job, everthing fell into place. I always look back and say to myself, all that worry for nothing, this is a cake walk.

• Lozhasleft
    Lozhasleft

Well done to you first of all, I know that feeling...staying loyal to an employer at personal cost....well the owner has had hiss chance to pay you what you're worth and be fair....he hasn't so...his loss. I'm with you...go for it!

Loz x

• Disillusioned Lost-Lamb
    Disillusioned Lost-Lamb

Thinking about how this will pan out and being concerned with the aftermath is only natural. You've been somewhere for a long time, are comfortable, have built relationships and are feeling that somehow you owe a bit of loyalty, but think about it this way, if your boss was more loyal to his employees, he'd pay them what they're worth and hire new recruits that weren't slackers or idiots; the door goes both ways.

Take the new job and live YOUR life to the fullest.

Congrats!

• rebel8
    rebel8

Do it. Business is business.

My philosophy (a very small part of which is jw) is a job is a means to an end, the end being mainly the pay and benefits. If you have to work you might as well bring home as big a paycheck as you can.

I try not to get emotionally attached to jobs and in fact make myself periodically imagine resigning and working elsewhere. This is also a healthy exercise since it helps me avoid getting too upset when things aren't going the way I want them to at work.

It's just a job, not my entire life. I get paid the same whether or not I like what others are doing.

• CaptainSchmideo
    CaptainSchmideo

Shopaholic -" 24 years at one place no longer reads as loyalty on an IT resume." - That statement is kind of jarring;What DOES it read as?

Jim from TX- You are correct, I have not been hired yet. What raises my optimism is that the head of IT is the one that made it a point to make sure I was aware of the position, he told me what it paid ("now, that may be a pay cut to you!" Hah!) and stated that even if I didn't get hired for this job, he'd try to create a position in the department for which they could hire me. Plus, one of the other decision makers also emailed me the job listing, asking if "I knew anyone that might be interested". When I told a VP of the bank that I was submitting my resume, she immediately shouted, "Did you use me for a reference? I'll make sure that N--- gets a glowing report from me!". They know I am 110% familiar with their phone system (one of the duties of this job) as well as someone that they could train for their other duties in their IT infrastructure. I have been in the banking environment before (I was a teller in college). I mean, I know there are several candidates for this job, but I know they are very eager to make sure I interview. I am breathing very deeply, believe me, head between knees and everything. This "feels" very, very promising. I have floated out resumes before, but this is the closest I have ever gotten to having real hope for a change.

As far as loyalty to my company owner, there have been the occasional wonderful generosities that he has done for me. I am a trusted employee, no one makes me punch a clock, I can come and go if I need to attend a school event or assist a family member. My current job tasks let me get out of the office and see the sun, do the occasional road trip. It's not a bad job, it just doesn't pay anything.

On the minuses, I can never fully "leave the job" when I go on vacation or sick leave, because I am the only employee that has received the proper training for certain products. My opposite number learned a long time ago that if you know how to work on product, you get to work late. If you don't know, you get a pass. I set the bad precedent (bad for me, good for the company) to self-start and learn the new products immediately, without being told to do it. That springs a trap on you, if you are the only one who does that.

I have been with this company since its inception. I looked at it from the beginning as "I'll give them the benefit of the doubt, it's a new company, the kinks need to be worked out." Then, five years later, the company gets reinvented, pointed in new directions, so I would hold off again. Then, it happens again. And sits the income is primarily derived from sales, and you go where the sales are, and things in this field change rapidly, plans and promises that are made can be made null and void due to new circumstances. Now, I don't blame upper management for events and things that can't be controlled. But I DO know that I get a little miffed when I see large houses, big trucks, and other living large items being purchased by said people, and while I am cutting it to the bone during the "lean times", I see no such things occurring on that end.

Anyway, sorry about the long winded rant. It's a "love/hate" thing, like a lot of troubled marriages, I guess. You hate to walk away from such a long relationship, but you know it's not healthy for you to continue with it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit