After twenty four years of loyal service, I am about to commit treason...

by CaptainSchmideo 26 Replies latest jw friends

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

and it pays 33% more than I am making now

No brainer, as long as you are confident in the new company who is hiring you.

BTW -- Do not burn any bridges with the present employer. You may wish to go back there some day. Some day soon, if this new deal isn't what it's cracked up to be.

Doc

• Paralipomenon
    Paralipomenon

When I was starting out my career, my boss called me into his office. He asked me where I saw myself in 5 and 10 years. Naturally I mentioned positions within the company that would be a step up from where I was.

He told me "Whenever you have a chance to take an opportunity to help yourself, take it. Any company is the same, it looks after its own interests. A decision to downsize is never taken lightly, but a company will do what it has to in order to survive and remain profitable."

Loyalty isn't rewarded as it used to, you are making a good choice.

I'd warn you to be ready for two things.

1) a counter offer from your current employer

2) be ready to negotiate for the new position

One thing many people forget when talking money is while you may be excited and happy to be getting a new job, they aren't doing it as a favor to you. They want to you on board as well. Negotiate a bit on the salary, if they don't have wiggle room they will appologize and you can still accept the offer in place.

It's really easy to do. When you get the offer, wait a day, then reply that you are very pleased with the offer, would be prepared to sign, but you had been expecting the starting salary to be $XXXX. Ask if they have any flexibility.

You will be surprised how many places quickly agree and you've just given yourself a raise.

If they are stuck or came out with their best offer, ask if it would be an option after your first salary review.

Best of luck!

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

Certainly IT people are the ones most likely to have to keep switching jobs and positions to get raises and be appreciated. Often, changing jobs is the only way to get a raise or promotion if middle management is bad.

Anyway, I feel bad in some respects, with regards to the owner.

It was that kind of attitude that kept me from leaving bethel earlier than I did. In the end, I found out that they felt no loyalty toward me and my loyalty toward them was completely misplaced.

If you're offered the position and decide to take it, don't feel like it's treason. It's simply life.

• Jim_TX
    Jim_TX

I think that you may already have a good chance of being hired by the new company. Go for it!

One thing - when/if you get hired, and need to go talk to your current employer and give your notice, you can also mention that you will be willing to do contract work after you leave - as long as it does not interfere with your new job.

That way, you are not leaving on bad terms, and they may need your assistance, and can feel free to contact you, and you can send them a bill for the hours. When they receive a few bills, the calls will slow down.

As far as 'loyalty' to a company - that has gone the way of the dodo bird. I was at a company for over 14 years. I worked hard. Got there early, stayed late, etc. They went through a bit of 'downsizing', and I got my notice.

Since then, I no longer feel 'loyalty' to companies. I've seen too many cases of higher up management looking at the bottom line, and making their decisions based on that rather than 'loyalty'.

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

A company that I had worked for for a few years recently went out of business. I know of 3 employees that had been with them since the begiining-about 35 years ago, not long after the Vietnam War. The boss ran off with the money, left customers in the lurch and employees without their pay. I am pretty certain that any benefits going to the long timers went with him. Loyalty might be misplaced.

• nugget
    nugget

You have nothing to feel guilty about. You have worked for 33% less than you are worth and gave them 24 years to show appreciation. You have been loyal to them but they have not responded in kind and have taken you for granted.

Apply for the new job, until you are offered it nothing is definite anyway.

• corpusdei
    corpusdei

My outlook on employment ultimately boils down to this - You have a set of skills and experience that you are selling to your employer, skills which mean that your time has value. Your job is to ensure that those skills are valuble enough that an employer has a demand for them and is willing to pay you in order to utilize those skills.

On the other hand, if the employer is unable or unwilling to pay what you consider an equitable amount for that product, you can either choose to take that to another employer who is willing to pay that, or you can continue to sell to your current employer with the knowledge that by doing so you are giving those skills to them at a discount.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit