Thinking, Fast and Slow

by DNCall 18 Replies latest jw experiences

• Open mind
    Open mind

Thanks for the recommendation, DNCall.

Have you ever read any of Michael Shermer's work?

He doesn't talk about System 1 & System 2 but he does talk about how our brains are wired for quick pattern recognition. Early humans who ran when they saw stripes in the bushes survived even though 99 times out of 100 there wasn't actually a tiger ready to pounce. Those whose brains weren't as good at pattern recognition got culled by fat & happy tigers.

Here's a link to a brief essay he wrote in Scientific American a while back:

http://www.michaelshermer.com/2008/12/patternicity/

His most recent book is

The Believing Brain
    From Ghosts and Gods to Politics and Conspiracies—How We Construct Beliefs and Reinforce Them as Truths

I've got a signed copy that says: "To Open Mind, Yours "in faith", Michael Shermer"

I guess you can tell I'm a fan.

om

• yesidid
    yesidid

Thinking, Fast and Slow is a great book. It's my current reading project.

• gubberningbody
    gubberningbody

This book isn't really directly applicable to the cult experience, but it is informative because everyone is affected by the observations.

• DNCall
    DNCall

Open Mind: Thanks. I'll check out the website.

• kurtbethel
    kurtbethel

So THATS what I did wrong in my watchtower study. I used system 2 instead of system 1.

When I was told in the Bible Teach book that scripture meant some thing I would chart it out, the context, timeline, who was speaking, and to whom. I found that the Bible Teach book was very poorly researched and written and I was able to demonstrate that. My wannabe teachers were stumped again and again, which usually resulted in off topic babblespeak or personal criticism. So I never did get to join the dub club.

Some background: System 1 works wonderfully for me in the real world, like when I am riding my mountain bike, or exploring around. It maps concrete things in my environment. When I was very young I found that System 2 is more useful to examine human activities, using math, logic and whatever other analytical tools needed. I tormented many telemarketers when I would use math to deconstruct their claims. So I am very comfortable with System 2 when I am in the human world of symbols and abstractions. It is also very useful to deconstruct political claims.

So, when some men in suits wanted to talk to me about the Bible, I was ready for them.

• tinker
    tinker

Fascinating stuff DNCall. Thank goodness we pulled that trigger.

• Medina
    Medina

I knew something was wrong when the question was asked. So I said to myself, quick thinking I would say 10 cents but I already knew I was wrong and was too excitet about the real answer, good post!

• besty
    besty

great post Frank - good to see you here! I promise an email 'soon' and will defo check out the book

missing those cigar and malt conversations :-)

• jgnat
    jgnat

Hey! That book was recommended at the conference I just came back from (non-cult related).

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit