Has anybody given any thought for Calebs freind ?

by smiddy 20 Replies latest jw friends

• smiddy
    smiddy

After all, this unidentified freind of Caleb gives him a toy, which calebs mom finds objectionable , shouldn`t she just have said to Caleb ,give it back to your freind ? and not dump it in the trash can ? What sort of a message does that send to Caleb (or any other children who watch this video ) Calebs mom should have acknowledged that his freind gave him a present, and it should be appreciated , not to disrespectfully throw it away in the trash can with no thought to the giver of the present.

smiddy

• Chariklo
    Chariklo

Yes, very much so.

Caleb's mum effectively taught him that he mustn't have friends, and that those he does have can be treated with contempt and their gifts likewise. He is taught that good manners do not apply outside the JW religion.

I tried to make that point in my version of Caleb's letter to Jehovah here.

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/jw/friends/226719/1/Calebs-Letter-to-Jehovah

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

Of course I have.

I was Caleb & I had Caleb's friends.

They are dead now. Jehovah was going to kill them, but he missed his chance by staying in his privy.

http://i50.tinypic.com/6sth6o.jpg

• ambersun
    ambersun

not to disrespectfully throw it away in the trash can with no thought to the giver of the present.

I think this is the part of the video that disturbs me most. It highlights the JW view of 'worldly' people being of no importance except to be preached at.

Any normal mother would have questioned Caleb being given an expensive gift from another small child. Had his friend actually given it to him, or had Caleb begged his friend to lend it to him, to be returned the next day? Or, had Caleb actually stolen it from his little friend? After all, he seems an intelligent child and may have already learned that stealing or borrowing was the only way he could ever get his hands on a desirable toy such as Sparlock. His parents sure as hell would never buy him one!

It just gives me great pleasure to imagine Caleb's friend's furious parents turning up on the doorstep with their tearful son in tow, and demanding that Caleb's mother pays for a replacement Sparlock!!

• Witness 007
    Witness 007

So how much was Sparlock say $60 bucks at least at Toy R Us! I can't believe a "friend" would give a Witness kid such a gift. And throwing it out...priceless!

• wasblind
    wasblind

Hello Char,

read your letter it ended wit a great question it shows that Jws take " Long suffering " out of context

Hello smiddy,

Jehovah's Witnesses have a habit of throwin' away gifts , after all , publishers have to turn in field service reports

Not reporting hours in field service jepardizes your chance at survivin' the big " A "

In JW world what Jesus sacrificed for us , is no longer a free gift , it is now something you have to earn

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

I have been thinking of all of my "Caleb's friends" from high school. Now I know what that heavy sigh and look of disappointment was from all of them when I decided not to go to college.

Fast-forward 20-something years later, I went to the class reunion and had a great time, it was like no time had passed. But I remember talking to one friend who asked, You aren't still a Jehovah's Witness, are you? I said, Of course, or something to that effect. Their was a kind of look of disappointment in her eyes I really didn't quite get, but now I do. It was basically a what-is-a-smart-guy-like-you-still-doing-in-a-cult-like-that look.

It will be a different story next reunion!

• Honesty
    Honesty

Caleb's mom doesn't give a sh*t about Caleb's friend because Jehover hates him.

• sir82
    sir82

But isn't Caleb's friend "worldly"?

That makes him a "bad association" and not worthy of further thought, unless he "expresses interest" in ahaving a "Bible study".

• botchtowersociety
    botchtowersociety
    Has anybody given any thought for Calebs freind ?

Caleb's friend seems like a really nice, well adjusted kid. He didn't treat the weird cult kid like he has the plague. He probably has lots of friends. He is generous and kind--and doesn't just act that way to enslave a new cult slave on the behalf of the Watchtower. He gets to enjoy holidays and birthdays. He will be able to enjoy playing in team sports, if he doesn't already. His weeknights aren't spent falling asleep in a Kingdom Hall. On the weekend, he doesn't blow most of a day (or two if his parents are zealous publishers) knocking on doors and hawking cult litterature to people. He gets to play and enjoy activities with his family instead. His vacation trips don't involve spending three days at a district convention.

Caleb's buddy doesn't have Jehovah's Organization mindfucking him with cult brainwash during the most important time in his intellectual and emotional growth. He gets to enjoy his childhood.

I'm not worried about Caleb's friend. I'm worried about the Watchtower-drone-in-the-making.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit