Just "discovered" sweet potatoes and yams

by compound complex 29 Replies latest watchtower bible

• compound complex
    compound complex

Sweet potato was already an important crop on Pacific islands when Europeans landed on the islands: Easter Island (Roggeveen, 1722), New Zealand (Cook, 1769), and the Hawaiian Islands (Cook, 1778). Sweet potato, known as kumara, was a staple in the diet of the Maoris of New Zealand; interestingly, the name kumar is used for this plant in Peru! Rongo ma-Tane, a Maori god, protects this plant; a buried tuber is powerful enough to cause enemy to go mad and run away.

http://mrbrownthumb.blogspot.com/2007/11/storing-sweet-potato-vine-tubers.html

Greetings, tuber eaters:

While not unaware of the existence of these nutritious tubers, I simply never included them in my diet. Rarely eat potatoes as it is. Have a sweet potato now sprouting in a glass of water - I remember my fascination as a kid watching the potato vine out and trail everywhere. My daily fare currently is one or the other tuber cooked and topped with applesauce, cinnamon and slivered almonds.

Any RECIPES?!?!?!?

Thanks!

CoCo

• Witness 007
    Witness 007

They have more vitamins and less G.I then white potatoes and taste fantastic....bake with a sliced onion and some garlic cloves. mmmmmm!

• carla
    carla

Make sweet potato chips! or fries in the oven, use in soups, baked, mashed,... all kinds of ways to use 'em. Anywhere you would use a regular potato you can replace it with a sweet potato.

• wasblind
    wasblind

No joke Coco ?????

" sweet tate heaven "

we usually cook 'em wit sunday dinner candied, whatever is left over

make fried pies

Don't consider myself as havin' a " special " recipe though

they'er good wit almost anything you put on 'em or just plain

• finally awake
    finally awake

roasted with onion, garlic, and portobello mushrooms - toss with a bit of olive oil and thyme, 450 degrees for around 30 minutes. You may want to pre roast the sweet potato for 10 to 15 minutes because it takes longer to cook than the other ingredients.

• Room 215
    Room 215

... Just bake 'em, washed and skin on, in a 400 deg. F oven for an hour or slightly less.

• compound complex
    compound complex

WOW! Thanks, guys and gals!

As a kid we had them candied on holidays and they were yucky sweet. I discovered the good news about them when I went on a diet recently. Your suggestions I'd never thought of because they're "sweet." Garlic ... onions ... olive oil ... going shopping today!!!!!

Gratefully,

CoCo

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

I love to just bake them and eat them with a bit of butter and salt.

I used to work with a woman whose mother made sweet potato pie every year at Christmas, and her daughter would bring one to work and let us eat some----then she took orders. I bought one every year---even though I was a JW and it was all about Christmas. I've never tasted sweet potato pie that good since. It is very frustrating. Everyone makes it too sweet or adds too many spices and it ends up tasting more like pumkin pie because the spices cover everything. I'd love to find a great recipe.

NC

• botchtowersociety
    botchtowersociety

Great beach camping food. Just put them in your fire pit while you fish. If it works out, you have fresh caught fish and sweet potato for dinner. Green plantain works great this way as well.

• rocketman
    rocketman

Sweet potatoes are a superior tuber to the typical baking potato in this important aspect - they do not cause an isulin spike. People concerned with blood sugar control do well to eat them. Fitness experts praise them as a better choice for consumption, especially prior to a workout.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit