How long until we see a "Sunday School" program?

by Cinciguy74 26 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Cinciguy74
    Cinciguy74

So we are seeing WT videos aimed at children, a feature for children in the Watchtower aimed at young children, just how long until we start seeing some form of a Sunday School for young children?

I know in the past it has been ridiculed by the WTS, but the reality is that it is a better method for teaching children than sitting in the KH where they can't sit still for more than 5 minutes anyway.

• snowbird
    snowbird

I well remember their sniffing at Sunday School and nursery services that some churches offered.

Everything they've previously crowed about as proof that they have the TRUTH seems to be biting them on their butts.

Serves them right.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

Maybe they should go to a Satan Sunday School instead. The real thing, including using Sparlock to teach children how to do real magick. That way, they will actually learn something worthwhile--and possibly learn to heal themselves with magick. (Also, abusive parents need to watch out for this because if they persist in being abusive, the children will use the magick and make the abuse come right back to the parents).

• mP
    mP

they already have sunday school, what else is an hour of watchtower and pt ? poor kids have to sit thru some heavy xian crap...

• blondie
    blondie

The WTS once had a separate young person's school using books designed for them. But Rutherford stopped it saying that it was the parent's job to teach the child. When my family were growing up, it wasn't necessary for younger children to attend. All meetings were in private homes and they would put the children down to sleep in a back bedroom. It is no surprise that many second gen around here were never members. The WTS wants all to be at the meetings now, it is CONTROL.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

The church I sometimes go to has an extensive children's ministry divided into age categories on up to high school. The church even has a ministry for special needs children for kids like my youngest son (he has autism). The children's ministry has a dedicated building and classrooms, it even as a playground. A lot of churches has VBS (vacation bible school) for the kids during the summer, as does this church. Its huge, a lot kids go and it's divided into two sessions over the summer. The church also has a summer camp for the kids.

All that above takes a whole lot of money (on top of what the parents pay (for the summer camps) and I don't think I've even covered all they do for the kids) and I don't see the bOrg ever putting out that kind of money for rank and file children. That ain't ever going to happen.

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

The most the WT would do is stick them in the 2nd and 3d schools with an equally dull program geared towards warping smaller minds. There would be no coloring books, no fun involved. I could see them doing that, but like Mrs. Jones said, no WAY would they put out any money to provide for children in the organization.

• ShirleyW
    ShirleyW

Nah, will never happen.

On a different note, I remember there was a JW School here in my area and some of the folks sent their elementary school kids to in the 1980's, I don't think the school is still around though.

• dontplaceliterature
    dontplaceliterature

I don't think it will happen because of the liability - too many pedos walking around! Plus, "that's what Family Worship is for."

• steve2
    steve2
    The WTS once had a separate young person's school using books designed for them. But Rutherford stopped it saying that it was the parent's job to teach the child.

My mother was born in the early 1930s. Both her parents had converted from Methodism to the Bible Students in 1925-26. She told us that her older siblings - a brother and sister - had separate Bible classes but did not know why she didn't. I cannot be sure, but Blondie, what you write may be the explanation: They had them at one stage but they were stopped under Rutherford's dictatorship.

On a related matter, I do not think they will start Sunday School type programs for children, but if they did, I bet they'd call them something totally un-Sunday School like. The Watchtower has a way of sneaking in changes and calling them something else.

I loved the comment by an earlier poster that they thought JWs already had Sunday School: The Watchtower Study could easily pass for a Sunday School lesson, given its simplistic question and answer format.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit