How long until we see a "Sunday School" program?

by Cinciguy74 26 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Disillusioned Lost-Lamb
    Disillusioned Lost-Lamb

For there to be a Sunday school the $octiey would have to first acknowledge that children are not just miniature adult robots, and I don't see that happening in the foreseeable future.

• blondie
    blondie

steve2, the key word is "older" siblings had the classes. I don't know your mother's age but it was more teenagers that were in this. I don't have the CD at work but the historical 1975 YB and the Proclaimers book mentioned it. It also tended to be more regional and not from the top down.

But they had them. Perhaps they did not want it to be a "babysitting" endeavor.

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

I don't think this will ever happen. Too much liability. That and who would be in charge of running it? They have enough trouble getting elders and servants together

• steve2
    steve2

Thanks Blondie. I had not known about this at all - but it is consistent with my mother's comments. It seems she could not remember this either, except that it did not involve her; so yes, it would have been her older siblings. By the time she reached her teens, the arrangement would have stopped.

• pontoon
    pontoon

I agree, we'll never see it happen, unless they could figure out how to make a profit from it.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

It is certainly true that this video aims to bypass the parents and go direct to the children....Supposing they have liberal parents who have allowed such toys and films? Now, the kids will be telling the parents that it is wrong ! And perhaps asking "Why don't we have a Family Worship Night"?

It all seems rather Orwellian.

1984 chapt 2

"Hardly a week passed in which 'The Times' did not carry a paragraph describing how some eavesdropping little sneak - 'child hero' was the phrase generally used - had heard some compromising remark and denounced his parents to the Thought Police. "

• Broken Promises
    Broken Promises

My mother (who was in Sydney's 2nd congregation) used to attend and even be part of teaching the JW's "Sunday school" for youngsters.

But as you said, Rutherford put a stop to that when he found out about them, declaring that the children should sit with their parents and hear the same information as their parents. This would have been in the mid-late 30s.

• JWOP
    JWOP

I cringe to imagine what a Jehovah's Witness Sunday School session would be like.....

• steve2
    steve2
    I cringe to imagine what a Jehovah's Witness Sunday School session would be like.....

Yes, me too - so perhaps it is a "small" mercy that they don't have them. Among other things, I would imagine that any such session would be interminably boring for young minds accustomed to more developmentally-appropriate stimulation...kind of like the Watchtower Study with possibly more "My Book of Bible Stories" pictures. Wow! Exciting. Not. Those kids with unusual fashion bents could always develop their interest in Jesus' lovely flowing dresses and wonder how he kept them so clean, given the dusty surrounds.

• sir82
    sir82

Bethel life is a sterile, childless one and has been that way for 100+ years. It has become part of the institutional culture.

Thus it is hardly surprising that children are at best merely tolerated by the WTS leadership.

The WTS would prefer children to act like miniature adults. Even in their "Wonders of Creation" video, the little 10 year old kid acts like his 40 something father.

The WTS leadership have no clue of how real kids live and think, and have even less interest in finding out. Their few grudging attempts (like the new Sparlock video) just show how hopelessly out of touch they are.

A Sunday School would be just what they scrupulously avoid - a recognition that children are children and need something different than 2 hours in a chair listening to Brother Blather talk about Jeremiah's prophecy and how it points to spiritual Israel.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit