How do stop myself getting too Bitter?

by stuckinarut2 36 Replies latest jw friends

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

You know, I always maintained that during this fading process, and while learning TTATT, I would NOT let myself get "Bitter Twisted and Angry"...

But, in all honesty, if I examine myself, I have become quite bitter toward the Org, toward the false friends and the GB.

I have become angry as I see the extent of damage I feel being raised in "the truth" has done...

I feel hurt towards the lost opportunities in life etc...

HOW do I not allow myself to get too swallowed up by such bitterness?

I have always been a very happy, positive, selfless person. I can put people at ease, I am someone people feel comfortable chatting to. BUT I am feeling like my good qualities are in danger of being swallowed up by bitterness....

I guess I am just reaching out here......

• sparrowdown
    sparrowdown

Yes stuck, you do come across as friendly and easy going and likeable.

All good qualties - too good to lose because of the borg.

Just remember how wonderful it is to know TTATT, and be thankful you are not one of those poor deluded bastards who are still trapped in their mental prison not realizing the door is closed but not locked.

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot
    Bitterness should be seen as a natural, understandable reaction without any need to apologize for it. It shouldn't be allowed to swallow you up but it still serves an emotional purpose.
  • GrreatTeacher
    GrreatTeacher

That is a Big Question and those are difficult to answer.

For myself, I've processed a lot of these emotions and I don't feel them so strongly anymore.

But, they still do wax and wane to a certain extent. So, I just live through the feelings. When I feel good, I enjoy life. When I feel rotten and get stuck on negative feelings, I keep doing Life, knowing that the feelings will wane eventually.

Being an XJW is like living life in the ocean with the tide rising and falling around you. One minute you're stuck in a trough of bad memories and sour feelings. But, the next minute you could be catching that Big Wave and surfing through life feeling excellent!

Just ride the tides, my friend, there's always a new wave coming.

• Alive!
    Alive!

Being an XJW is like living life in the ocean with the tide rising and falling around you. One minute you're stuck in a trough of bad memories and sour feelings. But, the next minute you could be catching that Big Wave and surfing through life feeling excellent!

Yes.

• Alive!
    Alive!

Bitterness should be seen as a natural, understandable reaction without any need to apologize for it. It shouldn't be allowed to swallow you up but it still serves an emotional purpose.

True!

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

Great replies and comments!

Thankyou everyone!!

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

When I feel the anger, bitterness, and frustration welling up inside of me, I like to go to my "happy place."

• I picture myself in a beautiful, peaceful, natural setting like the Swiss Alps. It's a beautiful, clear, warm day, with the rugged mountains, forests, and storybook Swiss houses covered with flowers providing a beautiful backdrop. I hear the sound of cowbells and chirping of birds. Swans and ducks swim by as I stand in a beautiful blue lake about chest-deep. And in my hands, I'm holding Stephen Lett under the water. After I see some bubbles come up, I pull his head up for a couple of breaths and then "splash" back under that paradisaic water he goes. Repeat until I'm content to leave my "happy place." Lett can be replaced by any member of the GB, COs, DOs, elders, etc.
  • stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

Oh Billy!

I love you man!

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

It's natural to feel bitter under the circumstances, but your goal should be to work through that and eventually put it behind you. It takes as long as it takes. If you are naturally a happy person you will probably be fine, but If you find it is preventing you from enjoying your life then it's time to get professional help.

I also highly recommend meditation, It has, been life changing for me.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit