Can one have their JW baptism annulled?? Seriously?

by mind blown 34 Replies latest watchtower bible

  • mind blown
    mind blown

    Would it be possible?? Seriously.

    I feel I was baptized under false pretense.

  • apostatethunder

    Mind blown, get over it, seriously.

  • mind blown
    mind blown

    Really f***tard?! I'll never get over losing my family

  • sacolton

    The way I see it ... once you are disassociated/disfellowshipped (without reproof), your JW baptism is null and void. Why? When you took your oath to the three questions, one of the questions was if you acknowledge yourself as a Jehovah's Witness. (You said "yes"). When you are announced at the stage that (name) is no longer a JW ... this breaks that baptismal "contract". You will not be acknowledged as a JW at any Kingdom Hall, so thus your baptism is null and void.

  • Yan Bibiyan
    Yan Bibiyan

    What would it accomplish?

    At best, you will be "no longer one of Jehovah's Witnesses".....

    I know some have tried to pursue this angle, but in the end the borg won't let you just walk away without consequences. You are defacto declaring your desire to no longer be a witness. This is a straight DA to me.

    I sincerely hope to be wrong.

    EDIT: Sean beat me to it...

  • mind blown
    mind blown

    Thanx Yan Bib & sacolton

    Yes, makes sense. Just wasn't thinking and I needed to be remminded that shunning orders are for JW's in good standing...

    apostatethunder sounds very much like notverylikey

  • cantleave

    You can never walk away from a cult without consequences. They won't null and void your baptism, they will just announce that you are no longer a JW. That will result in shunning from friends and family. You might as well DA.

  • Conan The Barbarian
    Conan The Barbarian

    The WTS will tell you that your years of association show that regardless of your complaint, you were a willing member subject to their ecclesiastical rules as a self-governing religion. If you want out, just write a letter withdrawing membership (disassociating) and you are out, with all the consequences. If you have the time, money and inclination, I would hire a lawyer that specializes in religious affairs (they are around). Start a law suit that says you want your membership/baptism annulled. I would state how the doctrine of the religion has changed since you joined and that this constitutes a material change to the agreement of membership, your faith and inner conscience no longer agrees with the changed doctrine, etc. Your Lawyer may be able to negotiate a settlement where they just let you go with out any announcements in lieu of a protratcted litigation (and the expense associated). Its all about the money, honey.

  • blondie

    I think back in the 50's or 60's the WTS discussed certain baptisms not being valid. I don't have the CD but if a person were practicing something that was a df'ing offense at the time of the baptism, fornication, adultery, etc., then their baptism would not be valid.

  • Disillusioned Lost-Lamb
    Disillusioned Lost-Lamb

    Baptized, unbaptized, DA, DF, faded or no longer studying, what's the difference?

    Sure the idea of a baptism annulment sounds nice but, if you at any time associated with them and now you don't, their treatment and view of you will be the same.

    It’s like switching lanes on the freeway; some lanes are smooth, nice and clear while others are bumpy, crowded and slow, but, unless you exit and return to JW land, all of them are going to lead you to the same place.

Share this