Richard Dawkins is Agnostic?!

by cedars 130 Replies latest jw friends

• james_woods
    james_woods
    I know that N.Drew could get into the emotional posting and name calling isn't good, but I have to say, I kind of miss her. I am glad she is doing, okay, James.

This was my point of the atheist/believer peacemaking mission. Do we have other good people here that we could be running off (or blowing up) the way that happened? My theory is that the non-believers can compensate much easier than the true-believers because we have less invested emotionally. Or, at least, we should have.

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

I'm not mad at you James.

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

That's true James, but an F you is an F you. While it didn't particularly upset me, I was getting awful tired of it.

• james_woods
    james_woods

Well, NewChapter - you should consider yourself lucky that you do not have the same emotional imbalance about to go off without your control.

Lets remember - Vincent van Gogh was more than a little unstable too - but the world would certainly miss his art if it had never been.

Same with Toulous leTrec, Gaugin, and others.

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

I don't wish anything bad for N.Drew. I even reached out to her, understanding her imbalance. I gave her a link to my blog, and she gave hers to me. I made up a pixie story to soften her impact on others. I was never mean to her. But she became increasingly disruptive, and we couldn't even talk about anything else anymore. There is only so much James . . .

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

I've noticed a lot of emotion on both sides of the atheist/believer debates. People are emotional creatures and it takes people to debate. I'm glad you're trying to encourage peace, James. I don't see N.Drew as anymore emotional than a few other posters on the forum. I think her buttons were easily pushed though. I hope she will think of coming back, if that's possible for her.

• james_woods
    james_woods

It will be a while, FHN. This is probably not the right place for her, and she seems to realize that.

I will keep in touch, so maybe someday.

• still thinking
    still thinking

I don't miss the constant disruption and accusations...please don't encourage her to come back.

constant n.drewism is tiring to the soul...it was like a breath of fresh air once she left.

I am sure she is a lovely person, in person...but this forum does not bring that out for her.

I don't see N.Drew as anymore emotional than a few other posters on the forum. I think her buttons were easily pushed though

that is a contradiction...her buttons are easily pushed...but she isn't more emotional.....

FHN...N.drew thought James and I were the same poster pretending to be different people...I don't know about you. But that seemed to reflect in a lot of things n.drew would say. I don't have the energy or skill to deal with that type of thinking.

• MrFreeze
    MrFreeze

Richard Dawkins has always called himself agnostic. Since he doesn't know for sure, he doesn't assume. As far as I know with Christopher Hitchens, he always said he was an atheist.

• tec
    tec

LOL----we smug atheists---so smug that we allow an itty bitty percentage to the fact that we don't know what may be uncovered in the future, but what we have today shows absolutely no proof of a god. When it comes to smugness, I'd say a person who say 100% with no

room to be wrong that there is a god, takes that honor. So tired of people equating convinction with smugness in an atheist---but when it comes to a believer 100% conviction is called 'faith'. Dawkins is much more humble than a believer---yet he is smug?

I don't think smugness has anything to do with conviction of belief. It has to do with attitude. "I'm so smart, I'm so righteous, I'm so logical, I'm so moral, I'm so great, I... I... I..."

A smug attitude is also a 'Told you so' attitude, lol.

I like Dawkins. I don't like his attitude toward faith, or even religion. But I do like how open he is in every other area. I love it actually. He can accept the possibility of life outside of three, four, dimensions....things he admits that he can't even imagine yet. He can 'see' that there are things that we can't even imagine yet, so far surpassing our current understandings. Yet, he cannot see a creator, or the spiritual. That seems to be his blindspot.

Peace,

tammy

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit