Does this make you feel small?

by still thinking 56 Replies latest jw friends

• still thinking
    still thinking

I find your take on that interesting apostatethunder.

The earth is a small garden in an immense desert.

My reaction is the opposite....from just that tiny bit of space it seemed to be teaming with life and activity. Who knows what is out there? I don't see it as a desert...I see it as unimaginable possibilty.

Each and every human is more valuable than millions of galaxies with all of their stars.

I agree, we are all valuable. But in context, doesn't it make you think that we really do blow our own trumpets a bit about the knowledge of god we think we have?

Strangely...and probably just from my perspective. The vastness of space to me, makes god even less likely. Although, I would like to think of a god who created it all. To think of a god who could create the earth, OUR solar system and man is huge enough...to wrap your mind around a god that is capable of creating and controlling billions and billions of universes, some far bigger than our own, whilst caring about the tiniest human being is baffling to me.

• still thinking
    still thinking

New Chapter...I think I understand what you mean....the bigger the universe becomes in my mind...the smaller I become.

I am not in anyway trying to devalue human beings....but WOW...isn't it just so immense?

• still thinking
    still thinking

Its a bit like trying to get your head around evolution....the time frame is so immense do we really grasp the concept? We have such a short time on this little blue spec we call earth. Can we really wrap our heads around the incredibly slow development and evoulution of life?

There seems to continually be new universes being born and dying...do we really think we are the only ones? In our very limited time in the universe, can we assume such a thing?

• MC RubberMallet
    MC RubberMallet

Astronomy is gangsta! I'm doing a self study. I wish I had money for a class....

• apostatethunder
    apostatethunder

Still thinking, you are right, we don’t know what’s out there, and we blow our own trumpets too much (some more than others), but compared with unanimated matter rightly so.

Personally I believe in God because all of this has to have an origin, an ultimate cause and He has to be far superior to any of His creations, in this case ourselves. But this is just my opinion.

• still thinking
    still thinking

Gangsta? LOL RubberMallet...you spoiled my mood...I had the candles lit and everything...

• still thinking
    still thinking
    Personally I believe in God because all of this has to have an origin, an ultimate cause and He has to be far superior to any of His creations, in this case ourselves. But this is just my opinion...apostatethunder

But does it? Couldn't that be considered human reasoning about something we know absolutely nothing about? Why does it have to be created? Isn't it possible that the universe is just ever changing energy?

Once you start to attribute cause to the universe...don't we then have to ponder on what is outside the universe? Then what is outside that? Ad infinitum?

• sizemik
    sizemik
    Its a bit like trying to get your head around evolution....the time frame is so immense do we really grasp the concept? We have such a short time on this little blue spec we call earth. Can we really wrap our heads around the incredibly slow development and evoulution of life? . . . st

Perspective is a real problem for humans. When we cast our minds forward or back, we contract time. We do the same with distance. A mental limitation I guess. It is a definite hurdle in understanding the true nature of the things you mention, especially when considering very small increments or very large numbers. The anthropic principle is not fully grasped by most of us for this reason.

Isn't it possible that the universe is just ever changing energy?

I see you are still thinking still thinking.

• MC RubberMallet
    MC RubberMallet

still thinking - I'm trying this new way of speech - sophisticated thug... I can converse knowledgably about deep and complicated matters, while keepin it real for my homeys.

I'm me.

candles and wine... and a gun on my waist...

• still thinking
    still thinking

At least you brought candles RubberMallet....

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit