My Question..........................

by Night Owl 14 Replies latest jw friends

• Night Owl
    Night Owl

Some threads question the intelligence of people who would "fall for" the teachings of the WTS.

One of the current threads on this topic uses the terms "king......dumb.....hall" and calls JW's stupid, mindless, idiots

My question is: What are YOU falling for now?

NightOwl

• Alwayshere
    Alwayshere

Nothing! I live my life like I want.

• elderelite
    elderelite

Dont take it too hard night owl. Some people feel stupid for having been drawn into a cult. S Hassen theorizes that cults acually draw smart people though, for a variety of reasons. Some people need to put meaning to their cult experiance, some self hate for a while, it seems to just be part of the process. As a born in i havent felt particulary stupid, it is how i was raised, but i can see why some go through that phase. I also think pointig out the silly and sometimes downright stupid aspects of the cult help people pull away. It serves as a reminder to them of how silly it all is, similar to a dubbie constantly using theobabble to stay convinced they have the truth. But ultimatly dont take it hard. For some feeling pain is part of healing.

• panhandlegirl
    panhandlegirl

I was about 4 years old when my parents joined the JWs so I have never knew anything else. I don't feel dumb or stupid because I was a jw. Most childern believe what their parents tell them is the truth.Although I became a Catholic after I left the WTS, I do and think what I want. I am not held captive by any belief. I am constantly learning and discovering different ways of thinking and seeing the world and how I fit into it.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

I hope I do not fall for anything since leaving, as a born-in like Panhandlegirl, I trusted my parents judgement and believed that what I had drummed in to me at 5 Meetings a week was broadly the truth.

I berate and criticise myself for not waking up sooner, I weep for the things I did not do for my beautiful children because I was a JW, and yes I was a blind fool, but I call myself that, not anyone else who was in it, to generalise and call them all dummies is not fair, or accurate.

To call it the Kingdumb Hell or similar is fair enough in my opinion, as a building it cannot be offended, and those who attend one should show why we need to show it more respect if indeed that were to be the case.

• cedars
    cedars

Night Owl - I do know what you mean, and sympathize. I understand why many resort to name-calling, i.e. "witlesses, king-dumb hells, miserable serpents". I personally find it all quite juvenile, but I can see why people would seek to use those sorts of terms as a means of venting their frustrations against the Society. I think we all realize deep down that the majority of Jehovah's Witnesses are not stupid people - merely victims of a very successful cult.

I often think of many friends still inside who I consider to be very intelligent men and women, and I am almost certain they have suppressed doubts of their own. However, doubts are one thing, having the will and courage to act upon them is another thing entirely. It was only an entirely unexpected chain of events that gave me the "will and courage" to break free. If it wasn't for those things happening, likely I would still be inside - one of the so-called "stupid" ones. That's why I for one don't consider Jehovah's Witnesses stupid by default - they are just victims, as indeed we all are. Some struggle to distinguish the people from their "stupid" beliefs more than others.

Cedars

• Quandry
    Quandry

Education.

I was one of the stupid, mindless idiots. I allowed myself to be one-fell for it- at the kingdumb hell. Now, I am getting an education and throroughly enjoying every minute of it.

How about you?

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

Right there with QUANDRY. I've also "fallen for" education, and it is a great experience.

Question everything, and don't feel guilty about it!

• BreathoftheIndianNose
    BreathoftheIndianNose

I think Kingdumb Hall is the least offensive and probably the best play on words I've herd on this site. As I take it, its not implying that the people are dumb in any way, but that the Hall is a place to dumb people down. It's the brain washing center. Come in a normal thinking person, come out the other side compliant as ever.

IndianNose

• Night Owl
    Night Owl

I think there are some who have left the WTS and feel they are free of being caught up again. Are they being just as "mindless" as those they accuse? Are they really that much "smarter" than those they accuse of being "brainwashed idiots"?

I have some family, in addition to some friends in the Org. and they are anything but idiots.

They are just people who happen to believe in God in a particular way that is not popular.

Who is not brainwashed in this world? I don't think there is one.

Who even has an ORIGINAL thought? No one. Your head was empty when you were born and others filled it up.

NightOwl

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit