How can I convince my mother the JW's are wrong?

by schnare 40 Replies latest jw experiences

• oompa
    oompa

for me and others it WAS their Bible and their own lack of knowing it...ask her if she thinks any religion has the right to change the bible to make it say what they want it to...esp to support one of their own doctrines or teachings...of course not she should say

well jw make a big deal out of how the king james bible removed the name jehovah and they put it back...GREAT!

what they dont tell you is they removed words from the new testament and replaced them with the name JEHOVAH 237 times when it is not there nor is it supposed to be there and it is not in ANY ancient greek manuscripts in the frikkin world hello?!?!?...if you dont believe me just try and find any other bible in the world that has the name jehovah in the new testament!!!

screw doctrines and teachings she may not understand in the first place!!!....but show her they CHANGED THE BIBLE and that may do it...they will try to justify it but there is none...and btw they changed it for doctrinal reasons and there is ony one admission of this in print in over 150 years and it took me a long time to find it

i wrote them a six page letter about it and am now free though shunned by my own folks and all my old friends.....good luck...hope it helps...if you want my well researched letter let me know.............oompa

• schnare
    schnare

oompa, that would be awesome to the letter, so I can have more information to back me up. I don't know, if any will work to be honest. I could probably show her a video of the GB admitting something and she'd still deny it. "Satan doesn't want any to find the truth..." or something like that.

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

If she's only willing to look at the Bible, then focus on where JW doctrines specifically contradict the Bible. The most plainly obvious (to me) is Jeremiah 25:12, but there are others.

• yesidid
    yesidid

Please do not forget:

WHEN LOGIC AND EMOTION BATTLE

EMOTION ALWAYS WINS.

• schnare
    schnare

Here is some more conversation from today.

My Mother: Y our grasping at straws.1935 is when they found out there was an earthly crowd. Truths were getting out. The bible does not have a date, but it does not mean the light isn't getting brighter.

Me: How am I grasping at straws? They get their knowledge from the bible apparently,so where does it state the date? "Is it not hypocritical when you chide the "poor deluded Catholic" that his faith cannot find a Bible passage to support it, when the same goes for you and 1935?" Also why do they misquote scientists and historians in their publications?

My Mother: Things are getting clearer all the time, but the bible does not have to have the exact date for everything coming out. People have to know the truth to do God's will ,but if they dont know, how will they do that? Some people will read the truth and not see it. Do what you want. I feel sad, but I will hope until the day. (she's refering to the Big A, obviously)

Me: Life -- How Did It Get Here? By Evolution or by Creation? (1985), p. 18:

12 Darwin acknowledged this as a problem. For example, he wrote: "To suppose that the eye ... could have been formed by [evolution], seems, I freely confess, absurd in the highest degree."

The whole quote, which they took out of context to make look like he said something it was not and that's not the only time. Why be so dishonest?

Real Quote:

Charles Darwin, The Origin of Species, 1859, p. 133:

"To suppose that the eye with all its inimitable contrivances for adjusting the focus to different distances, for admitting different amounts of light, and for the correction of spherical and chromatic aberration, could have been formed by natural selection, seems, I freely confess, absurd in the highest degree. When it was first said that the sun stood still and the world turned round, the common sense of mankind declared the doctrine false; but the old saying of Vox populi, vox Dei, as every philosopher knows, cannot be trusted in science. Reason tells me, that if numerous gradations from a simple and imperfect eye to one complex and perfect can be shown to exist, each grade being useful to its possessor, as is certainly the case; if further, the eye ever varies and the variations be inherited, as is likewise certainly the case; and if such variations should be useful to any animal under changing conditions of life, then the difficulty of believing that a perfect and complex eye could be formed by natural selection, though insuperable by our imagination, should not be considered as subversive of the theory."

My Mother: There are many reasons about chrismas then the date. Paganism, astrologers following the star. God disapproves of astrologers. Why would he use them? Harold ask the astrologers to follow that star, when they found Jesus, THE astrologers were warned to return to Harold. The true religion would be prosecuted and hated. Satan wants to blind people. I know JW is the truth. I want you to believe, but I can't force you, but I hope.

Me: Life -- How Did It Get Here? By Evolution or by Creation? (1985), p. 39:

5 At this point a reader may begin to understand Dawkins' comment in the preface to his book: "This book should be read almost as though it were science fiction."

Richard Dawkins, The Selfish Gene, 1976, p. ix:

"This book should be read almost as though it were science fiction. It is designed to appeal to the imagination. But it is not science fiction: it is science. Cliché or not, "stranger than fiction" expresses exactly how I feel about the truth."

My Mother: I've got to go now. I should have took you to the hall,when you were younger. But now I have to do the best I can. I believe it's the truth. I want you to know I believe JW has the truth. I can only do the best I can now. Hoping for you until the day.

It must be terrible to be a JW or some who believes them, because they think that everyone including their children pretty much have a death sentence.

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

Harold ask the astrologers to follow that star, when they found Jesus, THE astrologers were warned to return to Harold.

Harold?

• oompa
    oompa

did not finish your last post yet...but first ask her to explain what light getting brighter is she talking about??? she will say gods light of truth or such i guess...so ask ANY of them to please show a scripture that says gods light of truth would get brighter? esp as shed on his word the bible right? well there arent any..."new light and brighter light" are simply old guys trying to cover their asses everytime they get something wrong and have to reinvent themselves.....god it is soooooo frustrating i know...oh and welcome...get me your email

there is not a single instance in the bible where god would have his people teach a falsehood for a long time...and then say "NAYYYYY i was only jerkin yer chain dare....heres da real truff"...i mean why would god teach lies on purpose....then replace with more lies...repeat and rinse.....oompa

and if light gets brighter on a dim subject...GUESS WHAT?!?!?! the object gets more clearly seen as the light gets brighter...a body...four legs...more light....two ears two eyes.....morel ight...blue eyes tan fur....more light......whiskers and nose and tiny claws and looks like it would go meow...but with NEW light it is actually now a......catamarn full of topless sailor babes!...hey its my analogy....but see thats just nuts and there is no where in the bible there is this NEW LIGHT idea...........you are making me have flashback screams!............oompa

• schnare
    schnare

I think, that she meant Herod . I totally agree with you oompa. I used an illustration to my mother about the light getting brighter. I said that if the light is getting brighter it should build on previous knowledge not be something completely different. I said it's like being in a room which is dimly lit. You can see it looks like a bedroom and then it gets brighter and brighter, but it some how became a bathroom. I know, how much the JW's love their illustrations.

• leaving_quietly
    leaving_quietly

Black Sheep: I misunderstood the point you were making. Thanks for clarifying.

• clarity
    clarity

Schnare ..... hang in there, sorry just got back on a few minutes ago.

Keep it simple .... if mom talks about d2d service, ask her if she has to report that time and placements?

Will she have to do this EVERY MONTH until the DAY SHE DIES? ( or til A)?

>

I remember not knowing that I would have to do this, until someone told me after I got 'dunked'! Yikes!

The pressure will be on EVERY stomach churning months end ... over & over & over ! 50 yrs of it for me!!

Btw, keeping records is mans idea not the bible. They don't care!

>

Don't try to defend your point of view, whatever she talks about Schnare, just ask how, what, why, when & where. Then let it sit.

If you are not 'pushing' so hard .... she will not defend so hard.

Every time she keeps repeating her defensive stance it becomes more ingrained. Don't make her do this.

Just let her "teach" you.

You don't have to be right & you don't have to win .... just be patient.

clarity

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit