It makes me sick that Jehovahs Witnesses Kids cannot play organized sports but it is okay for them to watch others play.

by Iamallcool 30 Replies latest jw friends

• Iamallcool
  • Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

JWS kids are being trained to be sales Representatives for the WTS. as soon as they can read, its their designated mission set up by the WTS.

Same reason why they discouraged higher education.

• blondie
    blondie

In this area, watching sports is not officially approved by the WTS. jws who do hide it. The COs counsel regularly about the violence and the time spent that could be spent in personal study of "preaching." I believe that one member of the GB has been vocal negatively about watching sports, Loesch.

*** w02 6/15 p. 29 A Lesson From Roman History ***A recent exhibition (Sangueearena, “Blood and Sand”) in the Colosseum in Rome suggested modern parallels to the munera. Significantly, it showed video clips of bullfighting, professional boxing, horrible crashes in auto and motorcycle races, wild fighting by athletes in games, and riotous fighting by spectators. The presentation ended with an aerial view of the Colosseum. What do you think visitors were to conclude? How many would learn the lesson?

Dogfights, cockfights, bullfights, and violent sports are common in some lands today. Lives are risked to thrill enormous crowds in motor sports. And think of daily television shows. Studies in one western land showed that the average TV-viewing child might witness 10,000 murders and 100,000 acts of aggression by the time he reaches the age of ten.

The pleasures of the spectacles were “not compatible with true religion and true obedience to the true God,” said third-century writer Tertullian. He considered those who attended them to be accomplices of those doing the killing. What about today? One might ask, ‘Am I entertained by the spectacle of blood, death, or violence on television or on the Internet?’ It is worth remembering that Psalm 11:5 states: “Jehovah himself examines the righteous one as well as the wicked one, and anyone loving violence His soul certainly hates.”

*** w72 9/1 p. 539 Do You Give Undue Prominence to Creatures? ***Would anyone claiming to be Christian take delight in gladiatorial fights, Roman style? Is there not at least some similarity with many sports, particularly the contact sports today, such as football, boxing and hockey?

In professional football, for example, there is what is known as the “suicide squad,” a group sent specially into a game, as Life magazine put it, “with specific violent jobs to do.” The requirement for suicide squad members, Life explains, is “savage instincts and no fear at all.” Said one player: “I just think about hurting the other person, because every time you get kicked senseless, you can count on knocking two or three other people senseless. That’s a pretty good feeling.”

When, in order to win a game, whether for money, fame, glory or anything else, a person not only risks his own health but also tries to hurt, possibly cripple or kill others, is this not a form of idolatry toward that sport? It certainly is thinking more of one’s own glory than of one’s fellowman, whom God created. It is in direct disobedience to the Creator and is a serving of something else as god, as more worthy of one’s devotion and life’s effort.

***Jehovah Day's (2006) jd chap. 9 p. 121 par. 19 Dealing With Others as God Desires ***Though Habakkuk was forced to keep looking upon mere trouble and the “violence in front of” him, it grieved him. You might now ask, ‘Would he be comfortable sitting with me and looking at the programs I regularly watch on television?’ Ask also, ‘Would he set aside time to be a spectator at so-called sports events that are violent by design, players even wearing protective armor like that of ancient gladiators?’ With certain games, the thrill for many springs from fights on the court or the field or those between crazed fans. In some cultures, many watch violent films and videos centered on warfare or the martial arts. This may be excused as history or a display of the nation’s cultural past, but does that make the violence more acceptable?—Proverbs 4:17.

• exwhyzee
  • umadevi
    umadevi

This is one of the reasons why I made a quick exit from WTS. I have a 9 year old son who loves to play sports and take part in after school activities. I was torn between my obligation to 'put kingdom interests first' and 'put my child's interest first'. I am glad I made the best decision ever.

• Iamallcool
  • keynumber
    keynumber

Of course being raised as one of JW's, it was discouraged or for that matter forbiddened in the small towns all associated with one kingdom hall to be involved in the extra-curricular activities 'sports', from little league to highschool.

My best friend was non-jw. He was a year ahead of me in H/S. He encouraged me to join wrestling and so I did...of course with-out telling my parents, so for a period I was able to hide it. It was very exciting, so much for the recreation provided at get-togethors. I became very good to the point of getting front headlines on our local-yokal paper. At little time before when my mother found out she said the only way I could, was to continue going to the meetings. My father not a believer said it was ok as long as I continued taking care of our animals 'horses,cows,chickens etc. In time I quit going to the hall because the matches were on thursday night. I then quit altogether going and contrary as to what some jws may think, no I didnt gett involved with alcohol, drugs or some craziness that the witnesses would hear about and say "ya we knew he was going that way, see what happens when you leave the 'truth'"

By the end of my junior year I was offered a scholarship to a local college...My senior year I didn't join the team...I came back as one of jws, now it was the other way around...now I was not very popular with the school...now I was a considered a fanatic.. lost my scholarship..

After graduation I applied to bethel, accepted and was there four years...If ever today I could point at the most impressionable part of my life, molded me to the person I am today....

We all sometimes ponder of the what if's in life...we can't change some things....but another aspect that makes me wish I has finished my education...today I struggle since I left bethel with no solid skills...It seems it would of been better not going to B. and concentrate on my education and still associate with the organisation and have a solid upper income. then after I've done this I could be an elder and encourage full time service or bethel discourageing any involvement in the 'world'.

sports raised my self-esteem, my worth instead of settling for a type of life lowered it. As long as I was in bethel I was fine, after leaving, facing the real world, I realized that weather joining sports or being on the school chess team there is nothing wrong with it...Restricting these can cause old maids, mental illness and in the end your to old to change the circumstances.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Its part of the control mechanism the WTS. plays onto people, the WTS. doesn't want their

followers associating with non-jws and if kids join sport clubs they are doing just that.

In their opinion better time would be to do righteous spiritually uplifting things like reading the WTS.

literature or learning how to become a pioneer.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

The person who said watching life pass you by was so right.

When my father died, we had freedom. My bro and I joined some clubs at school.

My brother has cerebral palsy. One side is fairly spastic but the other side is normal. He has a mild case. Without any family discussion, he made the track team. I almost passed out when I heard the sport. The music teacher found that he could play the trombone. He made the dance band. The school was a ghetto mess. The dance band, though, was first rate. I saw the bonding my brother had with the other students.

I joined a bunch of clubs. Some never met-French and Debate. I was active in Student Council, editor of the newspaper, and orchestra. My social circle was extended. I wish we had a tennis club. The meetings cut into my studying and homework time. I also worked as soon as I could get working papers. If I had attended a normal school, I never could work.

• designs
    designs

uma

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit