Solar Eclipse Tomorrow, May 20, 2012

by ohiocowboy 30 Replies latest jw friends

• ohiocowboy
    ohiocowboy

For anyone interested, tomorrow there will be an annular eclipse of the Sun, which will be seen from China and Japan to the Middle of the United States.

Below is a link to a site that shows an animated map of how the Eclipse will appear in your neck of the woods. Just click on your state or country and go from there.

If you want any more info on this eclipse, you can do a Google search.

Here in the DFW area, the Sun will be eclipsed about 90%, which should still provide a decent show. Those living on the east coast of the USA will not be able to see it though, due to the fact that the Sun will already have set in that area.

Enjoy!!!

Here

• botchtowersociety
    botchtowersociety

I'm too far east. Sunset will end the show before it begins.

• ohiocowboy
    ohiocowboy

I'm sorry you won't be able to catch this one, but it appears that there will be a good one for you to see on November 3, 2013. That is if we are all still here after Dec. 21, 2012-lol

Cheers!!!

Here

and

Here

• botchtowersociety
    botchtowersociety

Hope you enjoy the show and have favorable weather. It looks like the event will be pretty low in the sky in your part of the US, so you won't have to crane your neck too much.

• ohiocowboy
    ohiocowboy

Thanks for the good thoughts! Yep, the Sun will be close to setting and low on the horizon, but we should be able to get a fairly decent glimpse of it.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

I'm taking pictures of this one. I also photographed the 2009 total eclipse. Can't wait for the Venus transit next month too.

You will need proper eye protection if you are to view tomorrow's eclipse directly. Please don't look at the sun directly without protection.

• Chemical Emotions
    Chemical Emotions

It will be great!

• MrFreeze
    MrFreeze

Reminds me of that SNL skit with Will Farrell as Harry Caray. "You know, if you look at it head on, it'll burn your eyes out but it's hard not to. I once looked at the sun through binoculars for, over an hour. Why? Curiosity I guess. Heck, I'm curious like a cat! A couple of my friends used to call me 'Whiskers'."

Hahaha

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I recommend good eye protection for viewing a partial or annular eclipse. If you are looking through foliage, you will see the crescents or doughnut holes on the ground in the shadows, and you can make a projection system to view it indirectly. Most digital cameras should be safe to take photos or video of a partial or annular eclipse--the worst you can do is ruin the camera.

However, a total eclipse is safe to watch while it is total. The light that gets into your eyes comes directly from the sun--there is nothing that comes from the shadow. A partial or annular eclipse has enough light to damage your eyes, but a total eclipse does not. You can also watch the corona using a camera--which is safer, especially in the moments just before and after totality or if you are only getting an annular or partial eclipse.

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

oh cool. I'm in L.A. so I get to ck it out later today

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit