The best and worst Travelling Overseers in the UK

by usualusername 117 Replies latest jw friends

• cedars
    cedars

One of my COs has been described elsewhere on this forum as follows:

"He was an ignorant git and laughed like Mutely. Yet another C/O and wife that were so clearly up their own backsides it was unbelievable. "

That's a fairly accurate portrait of the man.

In an unguarded moment of candour with Mrs Cedars and I, he bemoaned the fact that the Society had given him a brand new Vauxhall Astra (pictured below) to drive around in as a replacement of his previous free Vauxhall Vectra. His reason for complaining? The Astra was "too small" in comparison. This went down like a tonne of bricks with Mrs Cedars, who comes from a country where COs have to pay for their own bloody cars.

vauxhall astra

Cedars

• cantleave
    cantleave

I recall Bill Harris was none too pleased with the change from the Vectra to the Astra.

My mum bought one of the old CO cars from Bethel once. She paid far too much for it, but she thought she got a bargain!

• Slidin Fast
    Slidin Fast

Does anybody have any views on Leslie Perkins, recently deceased and his wife Elizabeth? What about Brent Smith who was like a stand-up comedien. Charlie Scurlock, a religious zealot, complete nutcase.

Dennis Green has a son who is a millionaire in Leeds on the back of various shady busineses like time-share in Spain, double glazing etc. He used to be the richest special pioneer in the UK.

Nowadays they all seem to be carboard cutouts, all there individuality is beaten out of them. It is the party line or out on your ear.

• Slidin Fast
    Slidin Fast

Does anybody have any views on Leslie Perkins, recently deceased and his wife Elizabeth? What about Brent Smith who was like a stand-up comedien. Charlie Scurlock, a religious zealot, complete nutcase.

Dennis Green has a son who is a millionaire in Leeds on the back of various shady busineses like time-share in Spain, double glazing etc. He used to be the richest special pioneer in the UK.

Nowadays they all seem to be carboard cutouts, all there individuality is beaten out of them. It is the party line or out on your ear.

• Slidin Fast
    Slidin Fast

• Slidin Fast
    Slidin Fast

Ooops, Oooops, Oooops.

• cantleave
    cantleave

Charlie Scurlock was demoted back to Special Pioneer. His wife was hated. I was service overseer when we had them, none of the sisters wanted to work with her. She also wanted evening arrangements on non-meeting nights!!

• cedars
    cedars

Slidin Fast

That's interesting. Is his son still a Witness despite all this? I know a multi-millionaire Witness with a terrible business reputation. He's far from "zealous", but as far as I know he still calls himself a Jehovah's Witness.

Cedars

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Does anybody have any views on Leslie Perkins, recently deceased and his wife Elizabeth?

Yes he was a special pioneer in our congregation before he became a full time CO, a good man from what I remember, sadly missed by those who knew him better.

• Flat_Accent
    Flat_Accent

Les Perkins was great. My family was very close to them. Again i'm too young to have been there for the most of the time they all spent together, but I remember him as a caring man, always smiling.

He tripped and fell in the street one day, thought nothing of it. He was dead by the end of the week. Very sad, my dad went to the funeral.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit