The best and worst Travelling Overseers in the UK

by usualusername 117 Replies latest jw friends

• konceptual99
    konceptual99
    Good point Phizzy. You don't become a CO by rocking the boat.
  • stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

more names from the 60's / 70's.

graham carmichael--and his wife honor. a very funny little guy--always cheerful--especially when pissed.

oliver macdonald--a real odd guy--with even stranger ideas.

peter ellis---in london bethel now ( i read )---along with ron drage.

bill bull

what i dont get is--some of these were very bright guys--i wonder what goes through their minds now as they look back over all those wasted years.

• snugglebunny
    snugglebunny

I remember Bill Bull. When he stopped the circuit stuff he worked around the Sheffield area for a fine art company owned by a JW in Fareham. I worked for the same company as a lorry driver and Bill Bull would sometimes put me up if I was out on the road. On one of those occasions I went to the cinema in Sheffield to watch Planet of the Apes which gives you some idea of how long ago it must have been.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Always good to look back and reminisce...I can identify with lots of the names here. It's interesting that so many of us agree.

Most entertaining on platform : David Carter

Best person: Ken Wildig ( odd guy but genuine when you got below the surface)

The names we recall were individuals , characters who could speak their mind. The ones I see passinhg through my wife's congregation today are Watchtower clones.... Company men who repeat the party line. They follow the path of being born in, Pioneer School, on the Circuit ... no experience of life. All as dull as ditchwater.

• blondie
    blondie

You don't become a CO by rocking the boat.

And you don't stay one either, of course, unless you have friends in the right places, and I don't mean God and Jesus.

• eyeslice
    eyeslice

Whose still on the circuit work in UK? Presumably, doing virtual visits from the comfort of their armchairs while their wives count their time making the tea.

• eyeslice
    eyeslice

Does anyone know if any named here are still about? In the main, these guys and their wives are at least 10 years older than me, so that is going to put them in their 80s and 90s.

Just to add a couple of more names to the list. John and Pam Andrews a really nice couple. John was the sort of speaker that gave you goose bumps - a very slow and melodic voice. They ended up in London Bethel but the last I heard John wasn't in good health.

Glen McFarland, from Scotland originally. A violin player from the days when we had circuit orchestras! Last I heard he had retired from circuit work and was living somewhere in the north east of UK.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Don’t they have to retire at a certain age? Don’t quote me because I have never heard anything specific but I would be surprised if the old guys were still supported in the Circuit Work.

The oldies I have come across were now resident in a congregation.

(Edit.. The one I was thinking of was Anthony Kendall )

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit