Be honest with me "how soon is soon?"

by Sour Grapes 31 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

The word soon sells and promotes the distribution of literature, the WTS has known that for over a 100 years now.

My guess is that in the decades to follow they will still be saying soon .

They really cant release themselves from that position for it render too much damage and viability to the organization if they were to drop that assertion.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

First of all, Watchtower's learning a lesson from 1975 didn't really sink in until the "1914 generation" expired fully in 1995 and they changed the meaning of "generation." Then they learned the lesson more fully when they saw they needed some more imminence put back into the doctrine.

Meetings and prayers where "soon" is mentioned are generally controlled by individual members and not in Watchtower documents anymore. I did notice that they floated the idea of running with Noah's 120-years limit on mankind in a study article before I faded away years ago, but nothing was mentioned in such a way as to directly indicate they were running a new date of 2034. Still, it seemed they were testing the idea and seeing what kind of feedback they might get. I have "heard" that they still do that sometimes- tease or test a thought without directly saying it, to see if they might could say it or if the members have some negative feedback.

I am going to try the "soon we will vacation in Europe" thing with my wife and see how that flies. I really prefer to go in about 14 to 16 years. That's soon enough.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit