The Great Debate: "Has Science Refuted Religion?

by dark angle 239 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• tec
    tec

http://www.dailyscrawl.com/agora
    History

While many of the details are wrong, I found that the most unbelievable parts of this film were true to history. There’s a very strange scene involving a bloody rag that’s more-or-less true (the receiver of the rag is not known).

The open, appalling violence in the film is hard to swallow, yet Socrates said of Alexandria, it “is more delighted with tumult than any other people: and if at any time it should find a pretext, breaks forth into the most intolerable excesses; for it never ceases from its turbulence without bloodshed.”

Hypatia’s tragic story is true and somewhat accurate. Very few details of her life is known, but the facts in Agora are true to history in the general sense,with two glaring exceptions: She was most likely around 60 when she died, and there’s no evidence that she was on the verge of any monumental discovery. The film also appears to depict her as being more-or-less without religion, yet in fact she was a pagan.

The destruction of the library is a little confusing, historically speaking. Is it supposed to be the Great Library of Alexandria, or one of the city’s smaller libraries? From the movie’s depiction it would appear to be one of the smaller cities, making it historically accurate. Unfortunately, the film’s promotional material—and director himself—may be confused, because they both refer to it as Alexandria’s Great Library. My guess would be that the film’s historical consultants were successful in straightening out the film, but not so successful in educating the filmmakers.

Just shedding some clarity before it becomes a leaping point toward how much belief has halted scientific progress ;). I really enjoyed the movie, personally.

Zid, I haven't watched your video yet. When I do, I'll get back to you.

Peace,

tammy

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

Why was she put to death?

• tec
    tec

I don't know. I'm googling it and getting different reasons. She was an outspoken woman; she was learned and a woman; she was caught in the backlash of christians having just been persecuted but now were given official power by the adoption of christianity as the religion.

• tec
    tec

There appears to be political reasons involved as well; and that perhaps she was a threat to the ambition/power of the church... because of her political associations.

• tec
    tec

Politics and religion... not a good mix.

• Twitch
    Twitch
    If we think we have had sufficient academic instruction to speak as we do, to judge like a Jehovah’s Witness and demonize the beliefs and convictions of others like a Jehovah’s Witness does, then guess what? If it walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, and looks like a duck…

Cofty's Law dressed up nice for the cocktail party?

Anywho, ain't no crime to have the courage of your convictions. These discussions have been going on since people could speak and they ain't gonna end anytime soon. Some of it ain't exactly pretty, this changing one's whole worldview and belief system. There are challenges people are working through. I say let the chips fall where they may.

And if you don't like the tv program, you can always change the channel.

• still thinking
    still thinking

Well I am grateful for all the back and forth debates....I have learnt a lot from them...they have inspired me to question, and to ask questions that I never even considered before. The have pointed me in directions that I would not have dreamed of on my own. The have encouraged me to look further into scientific method...and to not accept things on face value....in short, I have been encouraged to not be so gullable.

Voicing opinions based on belief is never futile...some may not need or want it...but then why even contribute anything to the conversation at all...why even look when someone asks the question "has science refuted religion"? Just to tell people they shouldn't bother asking?

Between this forum, my desire to learn more and open my mind to other ideas, the library, and all the people who share their inner most thoughts here I am grateful...without your sharing and discussing I would probably not be much further than when I began...And it would have taken me a lot longer to where I am now.

I would disagree that discussions here are like talking to walls....walls do not respond and they certainly don't change from being walls into something else. People here have changed their views...the have benefitted.

If no one ever challenged anything....society would still be burning witches and slaughtering innocent children.

If I never challenged or questioned anything I would be a baptised JW. Thank god for debates and discussions.

When I first started posting here, I was adamant that god was real...and that is what I discussed....however, it did not mean my mind was closed. It was just that from my perspective, it was true. Discussion has changed that perspective.

• Bubblegum Apotheosis
    Bubblegum Apotheosis

How can science refute religion, can you explain this without making me watch a video?

• Bubblegum Apotheosis
    Bubblegum Apotheosis

How can science refute religion, can you explain this without making me watch a video?

• sizemik
    sizemik
    If we think we have had sufficient academic instruction to speak as we do, to judge like a Jehovah’s Witness and demonize the beliefs and convictions of others like a Jehovah’s Witness does, then guess what? If it walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, and looks like a duck… Oldsomething

Aw Jeez . . . not that old chestnut again. Hehe . . . the "cofty" principle I believe.

Oldsomething . . . lighten up dude . . . "demonize"? . . . seriously? . . . I haven't used that word since my JW years.

NEWSFLASH fella . . . this is a discussion board. Things get discussed. Not all views are the same. Opinions are offered freely and and sometimes passionately. Doesn't sound much like JW's at all really does it?

"demonise" . . . you're kidding right?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit