The Great Debate: "Has Science Refuted Religion?

by dark angle 239 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Night Owl
    Night Owl

To answer the question: No.

NightOwl

• dark angle
  • mP
    mP

For most of the past history, religion and science were the same thing. Astrology one of the earliest if not the first sciences which simply about man looking up and trying to understand the times, by observing the stars and thei positions. His quest for knowledge led to fantastic stories where he invnentd gods and myths. ASstrology was very popular with scientists all the way up to the 1700s. Copernicus, Brahe etc were all astrologers first and astronomers and scientists next. The problem is we today have lost this connection, its only todays scientists that forget the debt science owes to religion. We have advanced superstituous nonsense thats all.

• Night Owl
    Night Owl

The problem with science is it cannot cope with the intangibles, these being the things that cannot be perceived thru the five senses.

NightOwl

• Flat_Accent
    Flat_Accent

You mean intangibles like antimatter and the atom, Night Owl?

• dark angle
    dark angle

@THE GLADIATOR

thanks for your reaction. In reality, im not focusing on the open mind part, rather im encouraging everyone to have a DECERNING MIND. For me Open and Close are just the extremes of mind set, and no one is totally open and or close minded to ideas. We rather poses varying degrees of this behavior. My intention is to encourage not these extremes but rather to have a decerning mind, able to listen to diverse ideas and being able descriminate which ones are closed to our perceived reality. Reality should be our anchor (and by that i mean our natural world. eg. scientific naturalism) when we are at lost to these multitude and often conflicting ideas.

• dark angle
    dark angle

You mean intangibles like antimatter and the atom, Night Owl?

Yep, like germs, radio waves, x rays, virus, sonar, photons, etc........ all things beyond our human senses.

• ziddina
    ziddina

Marking...

And adding this video of Dr. Andy Thomson discussing his new - relatively new - book titled "Why We Believe In God(s) - A Concise Guide to the Science of Faith"...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1iMmvu9eMrg&feature=related

• dark angle
    dark angle

Interesting ziddina. TY

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

We have advanced superstituous nonsense thats all.

Do you REALLY consider science advanced superstition? Do you REALLY think astrology was an early form of science? And if it was looked at in a scientific manner, it is very clear that science has long since falsified it. Did astrologers follow the scientific method?

science=superstition. I have never heard anyone say this out loud before.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit