Spelling/Grammar Nazis.

by Low-Key Lysmith 50 Replies latest jw friends

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

"I typed that I had "said my peace". I was quickly corrected by another poster and told that "piece" was the correct word. I still think "peace" makes more sense, but what do I know?"

You are both wrong! The correct expression is "said my peach." It's an ol' Georgia expression, donchya know.

• Low-Key Lysmith
    Low-Key Lysmith

I concede to the whole piece/peace thing. Doesn't mean I like it, but I'm man enough to admit when I'm wrong.

"Said my peace" just looks better in my tiny brain.

• palmtree67
    palmtree67

Actually, it's peace, and it is not talking about war. It's talking about the cognitive turmoil of not being heard.

Remember the preacher who says, "Speak now or forever hold your peace?"

You are correct, Low-Key

• compound complex
    compound complex

Just deserts (not desserts)

The expression just desserts is a common misspelling of the actual idiom just deserts, which simply means to receive what one deserves. It is one of the more commonly misspelled idiomatic expressions, because it uses an archaic word most people are no longer familiar with. This type of spelling error based on a mishearing of a word, or misunderstanding of its context, is often referred to as an eggcorn.

http://m.wisegeek.com

(If you really feel the need to help a fellow poster with grammar, send him/her a personal message.)

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

Palm, if the minister says, "Speak now or forever hold your piece," what piece would he be talking about?

• palmtree67
    palmtree67
    Palm, if the minister says, "Speak now or forever hold your piece," what piece would he be talking about?

Exactly.

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

palmtree67

Actually, it's peace, and it is not talking about war. It's talking about the cognitive turmoil of not being heard.
    Remember the preacher who says, "Speak now or forever hold your peace?"
    You are correct, Low-Key

No. He, and you, are wrong. The correct word is "piece", as in saying your part of a broader discussion.

It is not related to the expression, to hold one's peace, which means to maintain one's silence (or peacefulness).

In the context of the incorrect comparison with the latter expression, saying one's peace would be semantically invalid, because the peace is invalidated once the thing has been said.

• TD
    TD

Sorry, couldn't resist:

"Speak your piece and hold your peace are two common idioms in English. It's easy to confuse the spelling of piece/peace in these idioms, but there is a logic to the difference.

Speak your piece means "state your opinion or view." One sense of the word piece is specific to this expression.

He'd planned to speak his piece at the next meeting.

I encourage you all to speak your piece before we decide.

Several other residents came forward to speak their piece.

Hold your peace means the same as hold your tongue: "to keep silent or to not say anything about something." It's commonly heard in traditional marriage vows:

Should anyone here present know of any reason that this couple should not be joined in holy matrimony, speak now or forever hold your peace. (This line is old-fashioned and not used very often anymore, but is heard in old movies depicting wedding ceremonies).

You must hold your peace and accept the changes.

The waiter was discreet and held his peace."

• palmtree67
    palmtree67

That makes sense.

Thanks, TD!

• Low-Key Lysmith
    Low-Key Lysmith

you all are just f*cking with my emotions now.

Henceforth, I shall type "said my piece", but in my mind, I'll have my fingers crossed behind my back and will be thinking "peace", because I like that way better.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit