Spelling/Grammar Nazis.

by Low-Key Lysmith 50 Replies latest jw friends

• Low-Key Lysmith
    Low-Key Lysmith

I'll admit it. It kinda gets my goat when folks disregard spelling and grammar. I really get miffed at misuse of there/their/they're and your/you're, then/than, etc.

I very rarely ever go so far as to correct anyone on it, but it would seem that maybe karma caught up with me today on another thread when I typed that I had "said my peace". I was quickly corrected by another poster and told that "piece" was the correct word. I still think "peace" makes more sense, but what do I know?

Does anyone else get bothered by misuse of the written word?

• elderelite
    elderelite

Know it b fine wit me long as i no what u mean

• Kojack57
    Kojack57

Elderelite: Is you bein funny? LOL

Kojack

• jgnat
    jgnat

Yup. I am a fast reader. Sentences are a river of meaning that I pick up faster than a video feed. When someone misuses a word, I am jarred by the misplaced imagery. Two of my pet peeves:

Tow the line instead of the correct "toe the line". Completely different imagery.

Toe the line

Faithful and discrete slave instead of the correct "Faithful and Discreet Slave". Again, imagery.

Discreet Butler

• ziddina
    ziddina

sfman i now what yu mean...!!

I get so upset by spelling nazies!! But it also upset me when I cant understand what womnone has bypted bacuse their spelling/grammer/punctuation is so bad...

Hee hee hee hee!!!

• palmtree67
    palmtree67

I am a spelling and grammar Nazi. My man also calls me a word snob.

It's easy to tell if someone has made a spelling error vs. a typing error, though.

• Disillusioned Lost-Lamb
    Disillusioned Lost-Lamb

Sorry, I's trying but this unedumacated country girl just musses up once in awhile.

• Lozhasleft
    Lozhasleft

I get pretty agitated at the lack of proper grammar etc. Then I think, what the hell, life's too short. I think it should be "piece" too, for the record.

Loz x

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

Since this is a board and informal, I'm not that concerened about misspellings as long as it's understandable. When someone uses the wrong word then I get a little testy, only because I don't understand what they are trying to say. I type fast and since I get lazy about copying and running it through word, I'll hear an occassional comment

• outsmartthesystem
    outsmartthesystem

I am not a spelling nazi......but I do love the occasional double negative! Go to the WT study on Sunday. I guarantee you'll hear at least one.

The best I've ever heard was an astounding quintuple negative. "I ain't never not won nuthin from no one". That one still takes the cake.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit