Is There Any Real Difference Between Elders & Priests?

by minimus 61 Replies latest jw friends

• Chariklo
    Chariklo

Yes. Exactly.

• La Falta Habitacion Por Sr Hor-Hey!!
    La Falta Habitacion Por Sr Hor-Hey!!
    AND we dont get paid for this sh**t !!! >.<

LOL. On the bright side of things, the average elder can probably beat the snot out of the average priest. Sam Herd would whoop Cardinal Dolan's azz.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

The education varies greatly. Priests have respect. Priests receive some sort of income and living expenses. They have a retirement system and health care. I'm Anglican and tend to think of our ministers as faux priests. The priest as servant of the congregation is a big theme. Every church I have attended had the laity feeling that they had a co-equal role with the priest. The priest is responsible to the vestry.

I've witnessed priests do extraordinary acts of courage helping the poor. Their doctrine may drive me crazy but they have my respect. Catholic Charities and St. Vincent de Paul deliver. My own church spurned me in a time of crisis. St. Vincent de Paul was scheduled that evg. I was crying so hard with hurt that I thought of cancelling. They showed up. Jesus walked into my living room, embraced me, and helped in practical and spiritual matters. Words cannot describe the feeling of love I had from them. They are in the prisons and AIDS wards.

Priests get to drink wine frequently as a job duty. Elders do not. Priests know their basic cathecism. Elders do not.

• Knowsnothing
    Knowsnothing

Elders get confessed to, priests get confessed to.

Elders enjoy privileged information, priests enjoy privileged information.

Elders get orders from Bethel, priests get orders from Vatican.

Just what exactly am I missing here?

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

Elders receive their education via the WT. Priests go to the university

Elders think 7 old guys in NY talk to God. The priest thinks the Pope is

Elders can't make a decision on their own, they need two other guys to hold their hand. Priests have learned to make a decison on their own

Elders look at other religions with contempt. Priests appreciatte a religious person for who he is

• poppers
    poppers

Elders get confessed to, priests get confessed to.

One can be assured that what gets confessed to a priest in a confessional stays there. Can the same confidentiality be assured to those who confess to elders?

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

They are very different. One of my best friends is an Episcopal priest. Priests are much better educated and trained to offer all kinds of help including spiritual help to their parishoners and to the public.

• Knowsnothing
    Knowsnothing

FHN, I agree in that priests can be trained psychologically as well to deal with traumas and abuse, but unfortunately, aren't they also a big portion of perpetrators of such abuses?

Elders are limited in any "help" they can provide. Anything deserving a JC can't be let slide.

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

Poppers, by definition, a commitee isn't confidential. It's discussed between 3 men, who report to Bethel. Then, sometimes, the elders make an announcement in the cong. Clearly not confidential

Knows I wouldn't say it's a big portion. I don't see a basis for this. But excluding Priests who are trained in psychology because some abused, well therapists do that as well. And Teachers, and parents, etc etc

• Knowsnothing

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit