need your opinion on "who else preaches like the JWs?"

by outsmartthesystem 26 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• wannabefree
    wannabefree
    he is very much held in check by "but who else is preaching about the kingdom of God world-wide like Jesus said"?

I don't think you should give him an answer. Nobody compares to JW's, who would want to?

Turn it back on him to prove that JW's are preaching the Kingdom of God. Where in the Bible does it describe the activities peculiar to Jehovah's Witnesses? Ask him to read the book of Acts in context and see if the preaching of Jesus' apostles and disciples in the first century compares with the activities of JW's. The book, '"Bearing Thorough Witness" About God's Kingdom', currently studied at the "Congregation (cough) Bible (cough) Study" cherry picks scriptures, takes them out of context, twists them, and extrapolates them to fit the Watch Tower brand of exclusionary Christianity.

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

You beat me to it Wannabefree.

Ask "Why would it matter if no one preaches like JW's. It is one of the most ineffective ways to preach imaginable.

The June Watchtower states on page 15:

"What is the most e?ective way to spread the Kingdom message? Jesus, who knew how to reach as many as possible, sent his disciples to cities, villages, and homes of the people."

What a stupid statement, for several reasons. The most effective way to spread the message, as shown by Jesus, was not at homes, but at the temple and at the markets. Even if door-to-door was the most effective way in 30AD, that was in a vastly different era. That was went villages were small, and when large families lived and worked at home. It was before printing presses, cars, radio, tv, aeroplanes, computers and the internet. 2000 years later, life has changed significantly at preaching is a terrible waste of time. What other religion or company would be so crazy as to spend over 5,000 hours to get just one convert, when there a numerous more effective ways.

• Fernando
    Fernando

Who else removes around 29 of the 30 key ingredients of the "good news"?

Just ask any Watchtower religionist to explain the "good news" according to:

Paul?

Moses?

Isaiah?

Psalms?

• Ding
    Ding

How much of the d2d walking and door knocking (and fake door knocking and hours at Starbucks) really constitutes preaching?

And what good is it to preach a false message?

How many hours were wasted promoting 1874 as the return of Christ, 1914, 1918, 1919, 1925, and 1975 as the date for Armageddon?

Add to that all the preaching about organ transplants being cannibalism, the Great Pyramid being God's stone witness, and other nonsense...

Let's not forget the preaching of the "1914 generation that will by no means pass away" which has now been interpreted away and the heavenly class now being open again because none of the GB was alive in 1935.

And about the part of the preaching about the WTS being a happy and clean organization and a spiritual paradise on earth...

• troubled mind
    troubled mind

If the Witnesses preaching work is such an important work why is it so ineffective ? I live in a small rural area that has had a Kingdom Hall here since the early 70's ,and the JW's here cover all the territory 2 or 3 times a year . Why then do people in the community still have no idea what JW's really believe ? Most just know those are the people that don't celebrate Christmas . What important "good news " have they spread ?

• outsmartthesystem
    outsmartthesystem

Glenster - Thank you for your clarifications. I understand your point of Maher painting those that are religious with the same brush that he paints extremists. And yes, I would agree that it is the same type of "generalising" that the Watchtower engages in. Yet I still do not get how he "proposes an athiest armageddon". His rhetoric was that of a warning........ that religious extremeism may very well result in "armageddon" since we, as humans, now actually have the power and means to cause mass extermination. He was not proposing that he wishes it would happen (if that is what you were insinuating)

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

Ah, the old thought stopping cliche!

Is D2D work (JW's favoured method), effective? Let's see. Of those craptized at a$$embĀ£ies we know a majority a re born ins. How many 'not-at-homes' are there? How many hours does it take to make 1 convert?

It isn't whether the D2D ministry is proof of the one true religion it's whether it's effective. It isn't effective. Varied churches I have associated with minister first to the person by way of charity. I was involved in handing out free donuts to passersby and if they wanted a Gospel of John for free or not didn't matter. It was great fun and the people were much friendlier than anyone I ever disturbed in their own home.

If the WBT$ boasts of 'growth'(TM) then why is it's growth less than other religions?

Just throwing some thoughts out there.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit