I made it!! I'm just so freaking happy!!!

by Rocky_Girl 61 Replies latest jw friends

• Rocky_Girl
    Rocky_Girl

As some of you know, I started college 5 years ago for the first time at age 27. I had been out of the "truth" for 9 years at that time, but had just broken free of the mentality. Well, on Saturday I walked across the stage with the 130th graduating class at Rocky Mountain College!

After 5 years of working several jobs, taking care of two little boys as a single mom, and trying to get the most out of my college experience, I earned my Master of Accountancy, Bachelor of Science in Business Management, and Minors in Writing and Organizational Leadership. And best of all was seeing my parents up in the audience cheering me on!

My advisor passed down to me something her parents told her. "A practical college degree is like a paid-up life insurance policy. It doesn't lose its value and no one can ever take it from you." By practical, she means a degree that isn't limited in scope for career options, ie, a business degree can be used in so many ways.

I am a different woman today than I was when I walked on campus that first time. I stand taller, approach others freely, and I am not afraid to take the reigns and lead people. I no longer doubt myself and my ability to make decisions. What a difference it is to learn critical thinking skills and truly learn to research topics from peer reviewed sources. Knowing how to learn and find the answers to my questions is the best skill I could ever possess.

I have also made friends who believe in me and support me without basing their love on flimsy doctrines and my obedience to elders who are so often caught up in power trips. These are friends who see my weaknesses and hear about my failures and setbacks and encourage me to pick it up, learn from it alll, and keep going. I love these fierce friendships based on mutual respect and genuine attachment.

Not bad for a recovered regular pioneer, eh?

• nugget
    nugget

Well done what an amazing achievement. Deep respect to you it is wonderful to hear such positive outcomes.

• talesin
    talesin

Joy, Joy! Happy, Happy!

That is wonderful news, and good on ya!

xo

tal

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

woohooo Party!

• TJ Curioso
    TJ Curioso

Congratulations from Portugal!

• Mickey mouse
    Mickey mouse

Congratulations.

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

Another mind was saved from the dead end world of the WT. Not only have u changed your own life, but u have also changed your childrens future as well. They now have a Mommie with a degree. Something they will likely pursue as well as a result

• Slidin Fast
    Slidin Fast

Heartiest Congratulations.

• Quandry
    Quandry

Congratulations.

Your hard work and perseverence have paid off. You express yourself very well, and deserve all the opportunities that will be coming your way.

• Reopened Mind
    Reopened Mind

SO HAPPY FOR YOU!!!

Reopened Mind

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit