A Brief History of Racism in Watchtower Publications

by cedars 56 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

whathappened:

At least the black race wasn't annihilated by Jehovah like so many other national groups in the old testiment.

(2 Chronicles 14:12, 13) 12 At that Jehovah defeated the E·thi·o′pi·ans before A′sa and before Judah, and the E·thi·o′pi·ans took to flight. 13 And A′sa and the people that were with him kept pursuing them as far as Ge′rar, and those of the E·thi·o′pi·ans continued falling down till there was no one alive of them; for they were broken to pieces before Jehovah and before his camp. Afterward they carried off a very great deal of spoil.

• cedars
    cedars

In a way, the belief that Armageddon is imminent is itself racist, since two thirds of the world's population in arab and asian countries are barely even aware that Witnesses exist.

The map below shows countries under ban, in which the ratio of Witnesses to population is approximately 1 in 70,000.

Even in countries that aren't under ban like Bangladesh, the eighth most populous country in the world, you will only find one Witness per 885,000 people.

If Jehovah were to unleash Armageddon tomorrow and destroy all those who have not responded to the preaching of the Witnesses, a good majority would be Arabs and Asians who have simply never been preached to.

Cedars

• Pistoff
    Pistoff

Just found this from the 1935 Golden Age:

"The Big Mistake of the Kikes
    THE big mistake of the Kikes in South American trade was when they demanded cash and a high price for high-grade silk stockings and then shipped out hundreds of dozens of darned second-hand women's stockings that bore no relation to the samples on which the order had been obtained. This was done in the boom times following the World War, and was advertised all over South America as a sample of American honor. This job, so well started, was finished by the international munitions grafters, whose trail of bribery leads all over the world."

Page 212, 1935, Golden Age

• EndofMysteries
    EndofMysteries

Not sure if it's been posted , but if I recall correctly, after Rutherford had tea and trinkets with Hitler, one of the articles or books he published was about how the shape of a persons nose tells about their personality (like the nazis did for jewish noses, etc) Anybody recall?

• Terry
    Terry

At any point in time, the culture of each and every social group is on a path from ignorance toward enlightenment and wisdom.

IDEALLY this is a steady continuum. We all know from experience it seldom works this way.

Nobody has ever been free of ignorant prejudice of "the other."

If you read Mark Twain's classics you will find language quite disrespectable--BY TODAY'S MEASURE.

However, we cannot IMPOSE today on yesterday and imagine we are doing history a service!

With the above in mind--let's STOP THE MUSIC!

As the resident old man among you I am the de facto curmudgeon which means my duty is to keep my

historical knowledge (and or interpretation) alive as long as I can.

If you will bear with me for just a second. . .

When I was a boy in the 1950's, it was AN ENTIRELY DIFFERENT WORLD.

I do not exaggerate.

Old views people held and what behaviors they exhibited are--BY TODAY'S MEASURE--quite repugnant.

Please be mindful I'm not excusing anything or anybody--but those "good old days" were NORMAL for them.

What is important is this:

Through good intention, activism, sacrifice, persuasion, kindness, empathy, and heartfelt desire for PROGRESS---things do change.

I had asthma as a boy. Terrible choking fits and this was before there were inhalers or steroids.

My parents--the entire household--smoked cigarettes and cigars indoors, in the car--everywhere.

NOW HERE THIS: everybody smoked in elevators, airplanes, movie theaters, restaurants . . . and I was in tortured agony!

________________-

So what?

So a therapist listened to me rant about how badly my family treated me and she nodded and then asked:

'ARE YOU SAYING THIS WAS DONE DELIBERATELY TO HURT YOU?'

I had to answer, "No."

The therapist then said, "Context is everything. Sometimes people who hurt you are DOING THE BEST THEY CAN according to their view of NORMAL."

As we now know--public smoking has been all but completely stamped out in my lifetime! This is human progress. I rejoice!

I lived in a white neighborhood which suddenly experienced 'white flight' in the civil rights era. I was about thirteen. Suddenly, I lived in an all black community. My best friend was the black kind across the street.

My grandmother and mother were from New Orleans and had no discernable prejudice at all toward "colored folk."

When the kids at my all white school saw me playing with a "colored boy," I was called "NI**ER LOVER!"

The purpose of this---call it a rant if you like--is to INFORM rather than lecture.

Old days bygone are IGNORANT DAYS bygone.

People did what their parents and grandparents said was "okay."

IF WE MATURE WE FIND A BETTER WAY.

CONCLUSION:

The Watchtower Society was no better or worse, but perhaps a lot more progressive about minority inclusion by the time I

attended Kingdom Halls. There were LAWS ON THE BOOKS in many states (in the south) against MIXING races. It was seen

as prudent to exercise awareness of your local situation.

ASSEMBLIES always included people of color as far back as I go.

In the 60's, black brothers and sisters were welcomed. None of us thought anything of it that I recall.

I'M NOT EXCUSING idiots who treated minorities badly. All I'm doing is asking you to put the pitchforks down and the torches

and think before you assume the level of hatred which was present among the KLU KLUX KLAN, when you extrapolate

today's social "norms" backward in time.

I REPEAT: We cannot IMPOSE today on yesterday and imagine we are doing history a service!

END OF SERMON.

• morningworship
    morningworship

I never experienced so much racism until I served at Bethel...but thats old news...

• dropoffyourkeylee
    dropoffyourkeylee

I would chime in with Terry on this one, having been associated with the WT religion almost as long as he has. The WT quotes from the 30's and earlier sound really stupid and racist now, but at the time they were not much different from the prevailing culture of the US. Was the WT more racist than anyone else? No. Was the WT a leader in race equality? No. It simply reflected the time period, and it's leaders reacted to the societal changes (slowly) and gradually integrated. I have known JWs who still had a racial prejudice, but at the same time I knew many who were virtually colorblind. While growing up I had many friends and associates of different ethnic backgrounds, and never thought twice about it.

That being said, I have personally known people who remember the time in the US South when there were still segregated congregations. This still was the case as late as the early '60's, at least in south Georgia. The WT was a little slow in integrating in those parts.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit