A Brief History of Racism in Watchtower Publications

by cedars 56 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• cedars
    cedars

Hi everyone

I've just completed a lengthy article on the history of racism in the Society's publications. Many people (including myself, until recently) aren't aware that the Society's early publications were brimming with racist rhetoric, and this only calmed down as the public mood towards racism changed, most notably with the civil rights movement in the 50s/60s.

A few "headliners" from the article are:

• Russell segregated blacks from whites for viewings of the Photodrama
    • Russell believed that the skin of a black man would turn white during the Millennial Kingdom
    • Under Russell, the Society's publications portrayed the black races as "degraded" and the white race as "superior"
    • Rutherford viewed the blacks as a "race of servants", and spoke of "sobering the southern negro" in an article against prohibition
    • Under Rutherford, the Golden Age slammed Uncle Tom's Cabin (a work that helped end slavery) as being "the work of Satan"; the same article branded Spaniards a "backwards race"
    • Rutherford accused "Jewish business men" of "oppressing the peoples of many nations"
    • In 1929 the Golden Age (acknowledged by the Society as essentially the same magazine as the modern Awake!) referred to black people as being the product of Noah's curse. In 1982, the Awake! criticized Pope Pius IX for making very similar remarks... way back in 1873! That's 56 years before the Golden Age published essentially the same ideology.

The article can be viewed on the link below:

http://insidethewatchtower.com/history/a-brief-history-of-racism-in-watchtower-publications/

I hope you will all find the article useful. As always, I would appreciate any feedback.

Many thanks!

Cedars

• Giordano
    Giordano

Hi Cedars, by the way thank you for the great work you do for Ex and still in JW's! I remember back in the late 1950's the kingdom halls in the South (USA) were segregated, even as a 15 year old I knew that was wrong, and disgraceful. However the kingdom halls in the North were not. So I came of age in a KH that was a delightful blend of races. However it would be a few more years before and spanish brothers started to fill congregational positions. I always thought we should have been leaders in desegregating our halls in the South. Take a stand that would have mattered. The conventions/assemblies were mixed in the New York City area....... but Bethel was very white. At the top (GB) is still very unbalanced. In that we were/ are very much like the Mormons. As far as Russel and Rutherford, they never out grew their upbringing. Today without people of color the WT would be like the Christian Scientists down to about 500,000 members and slowly dying off.

• cedars
    cedars

Thanks Giordano. It's interesting to hear your personal experience of the way these attitudes manifested themselves. I was prompted to write the article (at least in part) by hearing similar stories of discrimination between the brothers in South Africa during apartheid. It was when I researched this that I discovered the true extent of the Society's racist ideology during the early years, which no doubt had a profound impact on certain brothers many decades later.

For those who are interested, here is a timeline of the racism reflected in the Society's literature (as published in my article):

watchtower racism timeline

Cedars

• Alfred
    Alfred

Cedars...

Have you seen the 2010 DVD "Faith In Action"?

It has a reenactment of brothers sitting together at the Orpheum Theater (or Carnegie Hall... I forget which) getting ready to watch the Photo-Drama of the Creation and guess who's sitting in the front row?

An african-american couple!

This DVD had so much bull sh*t in it, that the Society probably figured: "one more misrepresentation won't make much of a difference"

• cedars
    cedars

Alfred - maybe the black couple in the DVD were supposed to be the servants of those white brothers sat to their left or right!!

After all, according to the Society...

"there is no servant in the world as good as a good colored servant" (Golden Age, July 24th 1929)

good colored servant

This "light" was never directly refuted in subsequent magazines, so one assumes it is still to be considered as "truth"??

Cedars

• blondie
    blondie

Part of the reason for this per the WTS (not supported by me) was that slavery was allowed in the first century Christian congregations, that they did not fight against. Members owned other Christians and Paul told them to be obedient. But then Paul did not send back a runaway slave to his Christian owner and the WTS says then that Paul was not obligated to enforce Roman law. The WTS reasoned not to fight segregation because of that and that it did not prevent them from "preadhing." jws were also told to avoid marrying out of their race 9 years after the Civil Rights Act. It took 129 years for a black man to be appointed to the GB (of course there was no GB before the 1970's)

*** w73 12/1 pp. 735-736 Questions From Readers ***In a few places, there are even laws making interracial marriages illegal. When that is the case, Christians are under Scriptural obligation to obey them, as such laws do not make it impossible for them to worship God with “spirit and truth.” (John 4:24; Rom. 13:1) Of course, if a Christian would prefer to move to a locality where such laws are not enforced, he is certainly free to do so.

In other communities, local prejudices produce discrimination and unkind treatment toward those of certain races of mankind. These prejudices do not make interracial marriage wrong. For the discerning Christian, nonetheless, they may give cause for thought as to the advisability of such marriage. No matter what the racial backgrounds of the mates, marriage of itself requires much adjustment on the part of both persons to be successful and to bring happiness. Human imperfection causes all marriages to bring some measure of ‘tribulation in the flesh,’ as the apostle Paul wisely points out. (1 Cor. 7:28) In certain localities, where racial prejudices are strong, this could put added strain on the marital relationship and could be especially trying for any children resulting. So the Christian should give thoughtful consideration to the probable consequences before entertaining the prospect of interracial marriage.

Persons of different races may have very similar backgrounds, culturally, socially and as to education. Or their backgrounds may be very different. Sometimes the varied habits, attitudes and customs that go with different backgrounds seem to add interest to the marriage union. Yet widely differing backgrounds, even among marriage mates of the same race, can and sometimes do give rise to problems, making marital adjustment more difficult. In making his decision, the Christian should also rightly weigh these factors—for the other person’s happiness as well as his own.

The Christian is under obligation to proclaim the good news of the Kingdom to others. (Matt. 24:14; 28:19, 20) As a factor, then, he may consider whether or not interracial marriage is likely to create a seriously adverse effect on the attitude of the people in his community toward this Kingdom-announcement work. The examples of Christ Jesus and his apostles show that they were willing to forgo things to which they had a right rather than severely hinder persons from being receptive to the truth of God’s Word.—Rom. 15:3; 1 Cor. 10:32, 33.

*** w86 10/1 Questions From Readers ***

“Questions From Readers,” TheWatchtower of June 1, 1968.

Elders in the Christian congregation are responsible to handle violations of divine law, such as stealing, murder, and immorality. But God did not require congregation elders to enforce Caesar’s laws and codes. Hence, Paul did not feel compelled to turn over to Roman authorities Onesimus, who was a fugitive under Roman law. (Philemon 10, 15) Of course, if someone flagrantly violates secular law, gaining the reputation of being a lawbreaker, he would not be a good example and might even be disfellowshipped. (1 Timothy 3:2, 7, 10) If lawbreaking was involved in causing another’s death, bloodguilt requiring congregation investigation might result.

• mP
    mP

im surprised that gods chosen spokesman rutherford, did not say whether yellows or asians or even islanders are equal or less or greater than whites like himself. why is god worried about negros and completely ignore the vast majority of non whites in asia ? surely god has heard about asia !

• cedars
    cedars

mP - Funnily enough, Chinese, Indians, Jews and even Spaniards are all the subject of discriminatory language in the Society's early literature. Please read my article, and you'll see for yourself!

Blondie - thanks for bringing things a little more up-to-date regarding interracial marriage etc.

I feel I should add in no uncertain terms (just to be absolutely clear!) that I wholly condemn the Society's awful rhetoric of a racial nature. That's why I'm drawing attention to it.

Cedars

• wasblind
    wasblind

Hello there Cedars,

I could just wrap you in my arms and give you the biggest hug ever

I realize that years ago, the leaders of the WTS were a product of their

own time. Even Lincoln, he was under pressure to sign the emancipation

and I'm glad he signed it

I wrote a couple of post not to promote racism, but to point out how ridiculous it is

to wait on the kingdom when you have the means to change things now

no, it won't be perfect. but it's better than suffering needlessly

Why should any race of people suffer needlessly

I ask this, would the Jews in the prison camps have prefered the allies not to have intervened

because they prefered to " wait on Jehovah "

Is there any Jehovah's Witness who is of African American desent, that can honestly

say they would have prefered Lincoln to have waited on the kingdom

Is there any Jehovah's Witness who Is of African Amercan desent, that wish for the

"good ole days", when they were not allowed to eat at a restaurant or use a public bathroom

out in fieldservice

Black folk are afforded these things today because people could not wait on the kingdom

I give credit where credit is due to the WTS about mixed congs, but they towed the line

during the Jim Crow era, they did not spearhead anything to my knowledge to end segregation

As a matter of fact I pointed out in one of my post a magazine artical of theirs that said

Jesus obey the laws of the land even when it was " Inconvenient "

So in essence bein' degraded is an " Inconvenience " while waitin' for this system to end ?????

I know any discussion about race is very sensitive, It is not my intention to cause trouble

but folks do need to be aware that the things denied in the WTS are the things that were

fought for and achieved

Like the right to enhance your lot in life through an education, and havin' a voice through

a vote, to be able to change the laws that promote inequality

Most of the congregations in the south are predominantly black, this thread may

not wake up the older ones but trust, the youth is a different story

I ask everyone, the next time a witness who happens to be of arfrican american desent

come to your door just ask them

would they have the opportunities today if they did nothin' but sit and wait for the kingdom

I remember as a teen, I ask my mom for some hotpants and a halter top

and she replied: " When the Kingdom come"

that did not mean the kingdom wasn't comin' , It was what I asked for that was not

unless I had the means to get it for myself, I wouldn't have it

in my lifetime

• Giordano
    Giordano

Of course slavery was practiced from the earliest time in man's history. Unfortunately Jesus forgot to mention it ....... he had more important things to do.......... like turn water into wine.

Paul did not return a slave? Interesting, what would Paul want with a slave.....hmmmmmmmmm. Was the slave a boy by any chance?

So Jesus came back to earth and selected His organization and he picked the racist Bible Students ....that makes sense it's consistent with his silence on Slavery.

And Rutherford is trying to cut a deal with Hitler? You know you couldn't make up stuff like this if you tried. And we took this organization seriously at one time?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit