Please sign the petition to remove tax free status from religious cults that shun!

by garbonzo 99 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• ABibleStudent
    ABibleStudent

If the government passed a law(s) against polygamy in America and the Supreme Court held that a Mormon could not practice polygamy in America in REYNOLDS v. U.S., 98 U.S. 145 (1878), why can't the government pass a law adding additional requirements for organizations to meet to gain tax exempt status. According to IRS Publications 557 and 1828 , the IRS maintains basic guidelines to determine whether an organization meets the religious purposes test of section 501(c)(3) “that the practices and rituals associated with the organization’s religious belief or creed are not illegal or contrary to clearly defined public policy”.

This petition would make it very clear that intimidating and coercing members is against public polciy and does not require that people believe in freedom of religion or speech. It only requires that tax exempt organizations promote freedom of religion and speech to their members. This petition would not allow an organization to use coercion and intimidation to control how its members think and express themselves. Members of an organization would be free to file a complaint with the IRS to investigate their organization (or former organization). If the IRS held for the members who complained, then that organization would lose its tax exempt status and could continue to intimidate its members without being financially supported by the government.

If any of the people who are against this petition are afraid it would be abused by extremist religions to attack other religions or the government to silence a religion, then I would say get involved in the political process when politicians are drafting a law. There is no way that this petition could silence a religion that cared about its members and its members believed in that religion.

Peace be with you and everyone, who you love,

Robert

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

Every const'l legal commentator would be absolutely shocked if the Mormon polygamy decision is still valid law. Privacy right recognition has soared since the polygamy case. You read outdated material.

You have the right to petition the govt. The govt has no duty to respond to your petition.

This is such a waste of time. The end.

People such as you are the reason the First Amendment was ratified.

• james_woods
    james_woods

I agree with the above. Sign the petition if you want to - for what little good it will do.

Maybe it will make you feel better, which is something.

• ABibleStudent
    ABibleStudent

Band on the Run - Every const'l legal commentator would be absolutely shocked if the Mormon polygamy decision is still valid law. Privacy right recognition has soared since the polygamy case. You read outdated material.

You have the right to petition the govt. The govt has no duty to respond to your petition.

This is such a waste of time. The end.

People such as you are the reason the First Amendment was ratified.

Hi Band on the Run, The polygamy decision is still valid. Being a non-attorney, I need to research issues that I do not know. FYI the Supreme Court could be hearing the case in the next few years because U.S. District Judge Clark Waddoups allowed the case of Sister Wives reality star Kody Brown and his family to continue: http://www.usatoday.com/life/television/news/story/2012-02-04/sister-wives-bigamy-lawsuit/52962490/1 .

Personally, if polygamist wives are not coerced, intimidated, under the influence of mind control techniques, or were under the age of conscent when married, I don't care if they are in a polygamist marriage, because the wives have freedom of choice. Members of dangerous cults may feel that they don't have a choice because they want to maintain a relationship with their family and friends, which is the point of the White House Petition. I'm trying to clearly define public policy without infringing on 1st Amendment rights of individuals and not allowing an organization's rigths to be superior to an individual's rights.

Peace be with you and everyone, who you love,

Robert

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

Not posting on this thread.

• JeffT
    JeffT

OK, I'm going back on my statement about not posting on these threads. You keep telling me to ask a question, so here you go:

Why do you have such an irrationally high emotional investment in this petition? Some of us have attempted to open a dialogue about the issues it raises and you act like we want to shoot your puppy. What's your agenda? What is at stake for you personally? Why can't you set aside whatever is going on in your head for three minutes to think about the points mentioned by others?

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

myself, BTS, and New Chapter could have explained it any better.

LOL---and the weirdest part is that the four of us, (I think 5, Jeff?) all agree on a constitutional issue when we fight endlessly over it. We are all concerned with the constitution (the five of us), and we do disagree on interpretation, but none of us are willing to throw it aside to get personal justice. Let's remember that when we are debating political things---we do all love and respect the constitution---even if we disagree on interpretation.

This case however could not be more clear. Govt. cannot favor one religion over another. There are extreme things where they step in. I've never agreed with the whole polygamy thing, although I'm not a polygamist, I personally don't care who is marrying who---but anyway. Extreme cases, such as when there is physical danger or violence, the govt. has an interest in stepping in a keeping society safe.

But you do have a right to petition, so go for it. It may be a learning experience.

Anyway, tired now and not writing clearly. It's not anything I haven't said already anyway.

NC

I'd support removal of the tax exempt status of all religions via a Constitutional amendment. They are a business like any other business, except that their product is nonsense. There is no good reason for them to get tax breaks in the future. Every dog has his day . . .

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

I would be fine with that too---but it must be all or none.

• JeffT
    JeffT

NC I was thinking the same thing. This petition produced a very interesting alignment on one side of the issue.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit