Please sign the petition to remove tax free status from religious cults that shun!

by garbonzo 99 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

Then the govt. would be in a position to define what religions are pharasaical, and that puts them into the position of interpretation and judgement. The petition will fail regardless, but I'm suprised that Americans would support letting govt. meddle in religion. That aside, I don't see a problem with taxing all religions, but again, that won't be happening any time soon.

NC

• ABibleStudent
    ABibleStudent
    Band on the Run - Do you notice that people approve of your goal but not the mechanism? I don't know why a third thread was necessary when the same info was posted on two very recent threads. Starting new threads seems a way of enforcing your will.

Hi Band on the Run, is the above comment directed to me? If it is than, please read the following:

I DID NOT START THIS THREAD!! garbonzo started it!!

Either you need glasses or you need to read threads better.

If you are trying to intimidate me to not post on this thread, I will start to treat you like Sic Semper Tyrannis did in the thread that I started: http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/watchtower/scandals/225198/2/Will-the-IRS-Investigate-the-Watchtower-Society. I show other people respect who show me respect.

FYI, I do not even know garbonzo, but I am glad that he started this thread. I also continue to update the thread http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/members/politics/225023/1/URGENT-Please-Sign-White-House-Petition-to-Protect-Americans-from-Dangerous-Cults-Modify-USC-Title-26-c2a7-501-Tax-Exemption-Requirements. I invite JeffT, New Chapter, and Band on the Run to continue to post on the aforementioned thread if they are willing to read what I write and have a civil dialogue.

To everyone else who is reading this thread, I apologize for correcting Band on the Run's missconceptions of my actions.

Peace be with you and everyone, who you love,

Robert

• garbonzo
    garbonzo

I saw it posted on JWFacts, so Paul Grundy endorses this petition. Wasn't sure who created it and where it was posted at already.

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

Where is Paul Grundy from? I thought it was UK or something. I could be wrong. But just understanding the constitution, I can't see this getting any traction.

NC

• ProdigalSon
    ProdigalSon

NewChapter: Then the govt. would be in a position to define what religions are pharasaical, and that puts them into the position of interpretation and judgement.

There is no interpretation nor judgement. They have already defined the parameters, and they are crystal clear:

Dangerous cults promote using shunning to coerce their members to blindly follow what the organization’s leadership orders and to coerce unrepentant former members. Members must shun unrepentant current and/or former members, as if they are dead.

Does this not describe the Watchtower to a tee? There is no gray area here. If the law passed, they would either continue enforcing this policy or they will discontinue this policy. So, they either lighten up, or lose their tax exemption.

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

Prodigal Son, is that a government definition? And if so, for what purpose? I ask because the government may define things like obesity, but that does not lead to legislation to make obesity illegal or sanctioned in any way.

• ProdigalSon
    ProdigalSon

This really isn't about government meddling in religion. Treating people as if they are dead is inhumane and goes beyond the scope of "beliefs". It's about the authorities stepping in and preventing, among other things, parents from fucking up their children. If we don't put an end to religious hatred, this world is going to hell in a handbasket.

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

Okay---if that is the purpose, I suppose they could also intervene when fundies have children and raise them to hate other religions and shun science, and white supremisits for f**king up their kids to hate a large percentage of our population, and if the right person is in office, they may think it f*cks kids up to be in an atheist home.

We are still allowed to hold unpopular views or disagree with the majority or the powerful. It isn't pleasant all the time, but the alternative is worse.

Look, we all have the same goal here. But the means do matter.

NC

• ABibleStudent
    ABibleStudent
    New Chapter - Where is Paul Grundy from? I thought it was UK or something. I could be wrong. But just understanding the constitution, I can't see this getting any traction.

Hi New Chapter, FYI if you read the entire thread http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/members/politics/225023/1/URGENT-Please-Sign-White-House-Petition-to-Protect-Americans-from-Dangerous-Cults-Modify-USC-Title-26-c2a7-501-Tax-Exemption-Requirements before you started posting in it, you should have noticed that I wrote that I asked Steven Unthank, Paul Grundy, Barbara Anderson, and Steve Hassan to post links on their websites to the White House petition. Steven Unthank, Paul Grundy, and Barbara Anderson have all agreed to post links on their websites. You will have to ask them whether they endorse this petition, whether they feel that the petition process will help to educate politicians and Americans about dangerous cults, or how they feel about this petition.

New Chapter - Look, we all have the same goal here. But the means do matter.

I am confused by your posts as to what your goals are and what matters to you. What is your goal? Is petitioning the White House illegal? (NO) Does this petition propose violating the Constitution or any law? (NO) Are you saying that you trust religious leaders more than democratically elected politicians as Band on the Run wrote in a thread? Do you know that most religious leaders are not elected by their members in popular elections and that history is full of examples of religious leaders persecuting and killing their own members?

I feel that you prefer to make sensationalistic and unrelated statements as if they were fact instead of having a dialogue with other posters.

This petition is a good way to educate politicians and Americans about dangerous cults, how dangerous cults harm their members, to encourage politicians' to create bill(s), for policitians to debate the bills, for constituents of politicians to send their politicians their comments, and then for politicians to vote on the bill(s). It is not the only way, but it is the way I chose to try. If you came up with a workable and good idea to help JWs and other victims of dangerous cults, I would probably encourage you to try it and might even help you.

Peace be with you and everyone, who you love,

Robert

• blindnomore
    blindnomore

What confuse me the most is that how come 'ABibleStudent', who was never a JW(I learned it from other unrelated thread) that he may have not experienced most of the painful heart aches we've gone/are going thru as ex-JWs and yet devoted himself in seeking for justice for you and me and the community and in commiting to reform social injustice to help others from being victimized as we did. What he got to gain or loose?

I am begining to wondering about some of you wether you really are who you claim to be?

There are reasons why most of us not participating this campaign. Some of us are in fear of being discovered by the borg. Some of us are simply indifferent about it. Some don't believe it will get any where. I am one of these 3 groups and working on to move to next step. In the mean time, I can at least being encouraging to these selfless activists who are working hard on my behalf. I can see some in good intention may express their concerns of relating issues in the petition. But why following every steps of the Petitionists and harrassing, accusing, opposing them? Is this all about popularity contest and territorial? Or Are you Watchtower apologists or even their spies? What's going on?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit